Is solar or juice even nessary to camp???..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Is solar or juice even nessary to camp???..

Postby greygoos » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 am

I use a cpap to sleep so it is a must for me. As long as I am bringing power for the cpap machine I might as well use it for lighting as well as a fan.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 am

When my 90Ah battery croaked last year, I replaced it with a massive 35Ah unit. I use it for LED cabin lights and maybe a ceiling fan. I'm setup to charge while towing. I can also plug in a small solar panel if I choose. I had no problems off grid at WTW last year for 4 days.

In Texas the state parks all have shore power. I use that to power a microwave and TV/DVD player. Not a must have for camping, just an option I can use if I want.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am

Of course you are right, Slo. No electrical power is required to enjoy camping out in nature.
But I personally prefer a few conveniences.

Some years ago a friend invited me to take a week fishing with his group in canoes through the boundary waters, he knew I had a history of flying in to remote Canadian cabins to fish. After some thinking I declined his offer. It was just too primitive for my taste, lightweight backpackers gear, freeze dried food, tiny one man tents, long hard portages ...

There is a wide spectrum of camping styles, and we campers seem to all be stepping up to the very same central challenge: How little a pile of gear can we bring and still enjoy being out in nature?

At one end are rock climbers who sleep on a sheer rock face, and backpackers on the Appalachian trail for months on end. They shave weight a half ounce at a time, minimize all material pleasures, and they truly love the idea of getting by with nearly nothing, free as a bird. At the other end are the folks in luxury fifth wheels and class A diesel pushers, who are delighted that they've managed to bring a full Hilton hotel room to the lake shore with a spectacular view, and really love a gourmet meal eaten outside looking at mountain glaciers. And they are very happy they can still catch tonight's game on a big flat screen by satellite.

To each his own. I like some LED lights, an electric coffee maker, a comfy bed and an air conditioner. Sit by a fire but cook with a propane stove and oven.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lucky J » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

We now travel with a T@G outback trailer.

But I xould still get out on a multi day kayak trip. I still have my backpacking gear, and it will probably leave in my will.

I have never been a fan of freeze dry food, actually never used it, except maybe for the fun of it, like trying the astronaute Ice cream. I alsways try to get by with as little light as I can, even while seting up camp.

We have the Tv and DVD player in the TD, but I think we used it like 3 or 4 times in two years. Never used the radio nore bluetooth speakers inclueded

To me, the real purpose of power is mostly fridge. Not a fan of cooler since we got our ARB fridge.

What we really like about the T@G, quick set-up at camp. We are mostly on the move, so never a big set-up to organize.

And no christmas/patio lights.
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:30 am

I have been a pickup camper roughing it for almost 30 years, traveling to the Oregon coast for the sand dunes, or fishing, the nicety's I had were in the back of a truck sometimes with two quads, not much room for a week.
It's time for a change; but the only thing I have so far is a marinco 15 Amp plug, and wire for a wall's, I don't have yet :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 pm

I camped for years with a tent and no electricity so I would say no juice needed! But now that I'm over 40 I like to have a few conveniences too.

120vac gives me electric heat for winter camping. That's about all I need it for. In the summer I don't use campground electrical.

12vdc is what my trailer runs on most of the time, with a solar panel on the roof so it's usually self sufficient unless it's under trees. I charge my phone and gps, run a fantastic fan, and sometimes an electric blanket. I have about 240 amp hours (when the 3 batteries were new) so that I could stay out boondocking for a week at a time. A 12 volt fridge is a future idea for my wish list.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Gone without power pretty much all of my camping.
Now I have shore power only for heat or a fan.
Cant justify the cost of rv 12 volt battery vs. AAA's for puck lights.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes you can, the Coleman lantern the three burner Preway stove all bought by my parents 90 years ago, they still work well. Compass Rose has a 185 W high voltage solar panel that powers the Waeco refrigerator, lights, XM radio, TV/DVD, cell booster, and a charger for the flashlight batteries. I have camped since I was three, comfortable with less work leaves time for more fun.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:54 am

greygoos wrote:I use a cpap to sleep so it is a must for me. As long as I am bringing power for the cpap machine I might as well use it for lighting as well as a fan.

i also sleep w/ a CPAP machine

mine by design can be run off a dedicated battery which can be recharged during the day

i can recharge off solar, 12vDC(several days from static F-350 diesel pick up or forever while running down the road) & 120vAC

i do carry a long 120vAC string for convenience

personal issues make electjuicity necessary for life butt none needed otherwise though some is handy at times for conveniences(i can/have gone a week w/o refrigeration and been quite well fed n happy)

more important FOR ME is a heat source for my coffee ;-)

i've tent camped forever and no electjuicity was needed prior to the CPAP issue

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 pm

"is solar or juice even nessary to camp???..."

I reframed Slow's question to ask: Is solar power or electricity useful for camping?

Yes it is. Solar generated electrical power can be usefully, desirably, economically, and reasonably used for camping.

Solar powered lights are readily available. Luci Lights from Amazon.com sell for under $15 apiece. There are many similar solar powered lights. Using a solar powered light is convenient and will save you from the ongoing cost of disposable batteries or kerosene for flashlights and/or lanterns. Its also more environmentally friendly.

LED lights use much less electricity than incandescent light builds. You might buy and use a LED Rechargeable Headlamp while camping. Or install LED lights in your teardrop. I bought LED light fixtures for the cabin and galley of my teardrop from marinebeam.com/led-lighting.

Many, if not most, teardrop trailers have a battery in them to power lights, an overhead fan, etc. The battery may also provide power to 12 volt outlets that can recharge portable devices like a cell phone, camera, or portable LED lights. Or a CPAP breathing device as others previously mentioned.

A solar panel can recharge a teardrop trailers battery so you can camp, or boondock, longer. Solar power can free you from the need for a generator or shore power. It can lower camping fees for un-powered campsites. Or make free boondocking more easily feasible.

A high enough capacity solar panel, or several solar panels, may even enable you to use an AC/DC fridge/freezer instead of an ice chest and ice. A 12 volt powered fridge/freezer would enable a longer and more enjoyable camping experience. You could enjoy Cold Adult Beverages, milk, juices, butter, meats, fruits, vegetables, a variety of fresh or prepared food you can eat while camping for longer away from home, stores or restaurants, etc.

A nice "luxury" would be to have enough solar power to recharge a teardrop's battery well enough to use a 12 volt fridge/freezer, lights, ventilation, and outlets for recharging portable devices, etc.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Jocasta » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:11 pm

I try to keep it as simple as I can, shore power for the ac. Battery op led lights, cell phone for music, single butane stove in my little tear. Camping in the south, sc and NC, and ga, too hot without ac. Adding a solar panel and battery next year to a new build for a fantastic fan and better lighting.. :D
Jocasta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Breytie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:35 pm

I don't think AC power is a necessity. Our normal camping is mostly weekend and midweek excursions. For us the TD is a bed on wheels with an attached galley. I think about 10Ah per day of battery power should be OK for most warm season camping. I have a 45Ah on the tongue to run the TD and awning/ tent lighting, radio, TD fan and USB charge points. Power for the barbecue light and water-side fishing lights is supplied by separate 7Ah packs that are charged at home or a jerry-rigged DC to DC charger.
Cooking is on the fire or 2 burner gas stove.
If we do plug into shore power, we have a dual outlet in the cabin and one in the galley. Power is also supplied to the 13.8V @ 8A DC supply and as well as 2.5A maintenance charger. Automatic and manual change-over to battery power is available.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby cheaterparts » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 pm

atm I use a 98 AH deep cycle which is charged off the car while travelling through a Dc - Dc charger - once set up I have 220 watt solar panels that also charges through the same unit - I may slide another 98 AH in this season when I buy a dedicated 12 v freezer
most of my lighting is LED and I do have a few things to charge mostly USB stuff ( fish finder battery and hand held Marine radio ) but I do intend on running both a 12 volt fridge and a separate 12 volt freezer
as most of my camping involves fishing and most of the time in warmer areas ( it's quite common 100 deg + days ) I do need a freezer to keep any dead baits or catch from going bad
it's not that unusual to have 70 deg night temps ether so 12 v cooling for food makes sense

I also run a 2.3 KVA genny only if needed which is rare

I dont normally camp where there is a shore based power hook up so need to be self reliant for my power needs
Last edited by cheaterparts on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheaterparts
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 pm

I can't imagine spending the time and money building a teardrop that doesn't have a simple 12V system.

Lights, fan, and phone chargers. Easy peasy and incredibly useful.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:13 am

You can get pretty luxurious without a lot of power.

My TD has a simple electrical system. 12v to three LED lights (2 in, 1 out) no fan. Has a lighter plug for 12v. My headlamps and flashlights are all usb recharge, not aaa.

I start the trip with 2 Ryobi One+ LED lanterns fully charged on 4ah batteries with a spare for each. A One+ fan, same deal with a spare battery. The lanterns have a usb port for charging phones etc.

I have a 12v charger for the One+ batteries.

Cooking is on a 2 burner propane stove. One bottle lasts a weekend. I have a heater buddy for real cold weather. Half bottle per day does the trick. I also have a small rocket stove what runs on sticks and twigs, does a great job of making hot water or fast cooking like heating up a can of beans or soup.

I do have a 120ac outlet, for when I have shore power, and of course this charges the 35ah house battery. I also have a 120ac charger for the One+ batteries.

I have an 800w propane generator what runs one 1# bottles, which is enough to provide shore power to recharge the house batteries, and I have a small 300w heater plugs into the 120ac wall socket, an an option for anything short of bitter cold.

Most trips I don’t even take the generator. It is only if I expect to be out more than 4 days. It might not get used even then.

I also have a solar briefcase, 100w Zamp to charge the house.

So really, 1# propane is my only consumable, keep a dozen on hand and I can go for a long trip off grid.

For food preservation I have a Yeti knockoff from Walmart. Which is mostly unnecessary as I bring most food as cans and some dehydrated. But starting a trip with some frozen bacon and hot dogs or burgers in a small yeti full of ice does the trick. Pro tip: open the hot dog package and freeze them individually ahead of time, move to a quart ziplock bag after frozen. Same with burgers or small steaks or chicken breast. But really, if you stick to meats that are already cooked like ham and hot dogs, you are only heating not cooking and you use less gas. Bacon cooks fast so thats an exception. Eggs don’t need refrigeration for a week or so unless you are in hot desert.

I got a box of shelf stable coffee creamer pods at the food service outlet, no refrigeration required and real half and half.

I throw 3 gallon bottles of water from the dollar store to start my trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion