New guy from So Cal :)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Vtec44 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I recently built a small 6x10 camper and was looking for photos of other homemade campers when I found this site. I'm a professional photographer by trade and like to tinker with welding and wood working whenever I have some free time. I'm looking forward to learning and exchanging ideas with fellow forum members :)

Here's a picture of my build. It weighs about 1500lbs by rough calculation since I haven't actually weight it yet. It's based on the 1720lbs Harbor Freight trailer with upgraded hubs, bearings, tires, and strengthen frame. I recently put on poly polycarbonate roof, two 100 watts solar panels, a tankless water heater & pump, and a 50ah lithium ion battery. I've taken it to Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Big Sur, San Simeon, Silverwood Lake, and Mammoth. So far so good :D

- James

IMG_7043.jpg
IMG_7043.jpg (264.35 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Image
User avatar
Vtec44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Location: So Cal

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby KennethW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 am

450 solar, carry-on 5x8 mest floor trailer, pickup bed cover for the gallery hatch,two 32" beds, composting toilet, fully vented diesel heater. Made out of foam and canvas (no wood above the trailer frame) 1100# camp ready.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1182
Images: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Welcome! Looks like you did a great job on it.

We are heading out this week, up the 395 for 2 weeks+
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Vtec44 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 am

Bill n Robi wrote:Welcome! Looks like you did a great job on it.

We are heading out this week, up the 395 for 2 weeks+


Thanks! I had a lot of fun building it :)

Do you guys have a destination in mind or you're just sight seeing along the way? Highway 395 is beautiful. We're heading up that way to lake Tahoe in mid July.
Image
User avatar
Vtec44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Location: So Cal
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Not a destination thing, more of a 'get out this "shait hole" thing.

We do a few roaming trips each year even though this is know area trip, just being lazy.
Lone Pine for a few days
Big Pine, Glacier road is now open do BLM for a few days.
BLM near Keo, do a couple days in the hot springs
Bishop Mill Pond and BLM. Need to stop at the gun range and do some long distance, see a friend.
Head up to Bodie for a few and cross into Nevada
Stop in Pahrump and load up on ammo
Back down to Joshua Tree for a few days before heading toward home.
Might stop at Anza-B or Jacumba for a day if I m getting tired.

Labor day time frame is always Hermit Valley music fest on Hwy 4 then down to Bishop for Mill Pond music fest.

OOPs forgot Saline Valley and Benton for some reason... She wants to go.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Vtec44 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:56 am

Bill n Robi wrote:Not a destination thing, more of a 'get out this "shait hole" thing.

We do a few roaming trips each year even though this is know area trip, just being lazy.
Lone Pine for a few days
Big Pine, Glacier road is now open do BLM for a few days.
BLM near Keo, do a couple days in the hot springs
Bishop Mill Pond and BLM. Need to stop at the gun range and do some long distance, see a friend.
Head up to Bodie for a few and cross into Nevada
Stop in Pahrump and load up on ammo
Back down to Joshua Tree for a few days before heading toward home.
Might stop at Anza-B or Jacumba for a day if I m getting tired.

Labor day time frame is always Hermit Valley music fest on Hwy 4 then down to Bishop for Mill Pond music fest.

OOPs forgot Saline Valley and Benton for some reason... She wants to go.


Oh you had me at gun range :D I have a Savage Model 11 in 308 that I shoot mid range from time to time. I haven't shot it for a while so I need to get out more.

Those destinations sound awesome. Please do share some photos if you have them.
Image
User avatar
Vtec44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Location: So Cal
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Bishop Gun club - $25 a year. Combination for entry so you can go any time you want.
http://bishopgunclub.com/
I've paid $25 a day in some areas.....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Vtec44 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 am

Bill n Robi wrote:Bishop Gun club - $25 a year. Combination for entry so you can go any time you want.
http://bishopgunclub.com/
I've paid $25 a day in some areas.....


Oh wow! Thanks for sharing the info. I will have to check them out.
Image
User avatar
Vtec44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Location: So Cal
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:40 pm

We just put an offer on a place in Big Pine. If this goes thru we are going to have some awesome gatherings in the eastern Sierras.

We have been trying to set something up for the "Alabama Hills Days" in Lone Pine when they have all the tours and museum shows for the old western movies shot out there. They just got the certification from the government for protection. The group camp is/was $90 a day and will probably hold 25 TDs. We did the tour a couple years ago and it was extremely interesting. I watch old shows on the odd TV networks and see many formations that I've seen in person - from a 45 year old TV show that I saw live.....

Anyway, off to the hot spring....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Vtec44 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:57 am

Bill n Robi wrote:We just put an offer on a place in Big Pine. If this goes thru we are going to have some awesome gatherings in the eastern Sierras.

We have been trying to set something up for the "Alabama Hills Days" in Lone Pine when they have all the tours and museum shows for the old western movies shot out there. They just got the certification from the government for protection. The group camp is/was $90 a day and will probably hold 25 TDs. We did the tour a couple years ago and it was extremely interesting. I watch old shows on the odd TV networks and see many formations that I've seen in person - from a 45 year old TV show that I saw live.....

Anyway, off to the hot spring....


I'm just about 4hrs away from the area plus 395 is a nice drive. Best of luck on the place! I hope you get it... :)
Image
User avatar
Vtec44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am
Location: So Cal
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:48 pm

We are accepted to the park, just need to get the guy to sell at our price....

Has a nice view out the front door....

looking west.jpg
looking west.jpg (126.94 KiB) Viewed 2485 times


All open space, no one between us and the mountain
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Bill n Robi, I hope you get your new home in Big Pine. And that you organize one or more Eastern Sierra gatherings. I've wanted to visit and explore the area. It would be fun to attend a gathering there.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1684
Images: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: California, San Luis Obispo
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Esteban wrote:Bill n Robi, I hope you get your new home in Big Pine. And that you organize one or more Eastern Sierra gatherings. I've wanted to visit and explore the area. It would be fun to attend a gathering there.


Been coming here since I got my drivers license and the keys to my '47 willys wagon in 1966. Lots of good camp grounds. I have noticed lots of group camps are set aside and plan on looking closer as I never needed that info before. Besides the Alabama Hills group camp there is a secret hot spring group camp where you get a private pool. Lots of BLM land but it is weirdly laid out, one side of the road you get arrested on the other side you got free camping. The maps are free to download so it will be a good thing to have people get them and read the rules before they head out.

If this works out, first thing is to do ride-a-longs with the sheriff department to find the best and safest spots and get my carry permit for being a good citizen.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Well, got the offer in on a place. Hoping this is God's plan as we have been stymied a dozen times in the past 3 years. Even got a drop of 2.3% over the last prequal loan...
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Re: New guy from So Cal :)

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Signing paperwork tomorrow, look for some gatherings starting early next year. 3 great group sites within 11 miles of home. Will also post some interesting spots for people to explore.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
User avatar
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 391
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Big Pine, Ca
Top

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest