Tow Height Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tow Height Question

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 pm

How much difference is there in the feel of towing a 6'6" trailer vs a 7'? Not to open a can of worms, but at 7', how much difference between a v nose and a flat front? After seeing my last 3 builds (7 x 14, 6 x 12 & 7 x12 - all 6'6" v nose) and finding out that the buyers are all living in them, the dealer I buy my trailers from wants to put together an inexpensive "tiny house" package for people that are being priced out of the real estate market. While I'm short enough (5'7") that I can live in a 6' ht trailer, 7' gives me a whole different design option.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Re: Tow Height Question

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Depends how tall the TV is.

Big trucks blowing past inches away on an undivided highway, winds in the mountains, a big face can really make you sh** your pants.

Of course smart folk stop for a meal, or just take it slow, bugger the beeping behind you.

For me, the ideal would be axle-less, and strategic drop-floor sections,

and-or a roof that raises when you get to camp.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 pm

A tiny house is only occasionally moved. So bad aerodynamics should not be a big concern.

Watching the builds on TV, many are very much taller than 7'. And often pushing the limits on width and road worthy. Again, the move issue should only happen once in a while.

Having said this, a house needs better insulation that trailer. You most likely want 2x4 walls. Similar expectations for the ceiling and floor eg 2x6, 2x8, 2x10? Which will increase the weight even if you go with steel studs. Expending lots of energy for heating and cooling or doing without while camping is fine. Not so much for a house.

I have known people that lived in a motor home through Utah winter. Granted they had a high end motor home and a future goal that made them decide on that plan.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:43 pm

jwh92020, Howdy;

jwh92020 wrote:How much difference is there in the feel of towing a 6'6" trailer vs a 7'? Not to open a can of worms, but at 7', how much difference between a v nose and a flat front? After seeing my last 3 builds (7 x 14, 6 x 12 & 7 x12 - all 6'6" v nose) and finding out that the buyers are all living in them, the dealer I buy my trailers from wants to put together an inexpensive "tiny house" package for people that are being priced out of the real estate market. While I'm short enough (5'7") that I can live in a 6' ht trailer, 7' gives me a whole different design option.

What I have is a single axle 7' X 14' X 6'6". Bought it in Salt lake city, Ut. Towed it up to West Yellowstone, Mt.
Then Back home to Southern N.M. Most of those miles were on Interstate the rest on State and County roads.
Never knew it was back there. But ... it was, except for essentials, empty. From what a generous cross-section
of folks on here and quite a bit of research they've linked to shows that there is only the slightest amount of
difference between a V-nose and a flat nosed trailer, mostly in the arena of fuel mileage, handling are about equal.
So, basically, a 6'6" covers most of the bases for height, re. 90% of the population while a few may wish for taller
for 'other added comforts' like what Flboy did with his raised bed.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Check your state laws.
In Washington state, a “tiny house” built on wheels is regulated by the state. Is required to meet RV specs, be inspected by them and carry a tag.
Other states may be similar especially when you are producing to sell.
Will the dealer or you carry the insurance?
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:38 pm

What we are talking about describing them as "tiny houses" is using CT's as a platform for full time living. There is a significant portion of the population here in OK that have access to land, but not the means to develop it or build even "traditional" tiny houses. A 7 x 14 or 7 x16 CT designed and built right will afford them a safe, secure and inexpensive place to live while working toward their future. Most of them probably won't be moved often, but in the event they are, I wondered how much difference the 7 ft height would make during transport. It does give us more flexibility in design. The dealer will be carrying the insurance for us. Obviously there are no building codes for CT conversions, but we will have a licensed electrician design and sign off on the electrical install. There are a ton of things we need to put in place to make this happen, but we're working on them. Thanks to you all for your input.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 pm

hankaye wrote:jwh92020, Howdy;

jwh92020 wrote:How much difference is there in the feel of towing a 6'6" trailer vs a 7'? Not to open a can of worms, but at 7', how much difference between a v nose and a flat front? After seeing my last 3 builds (7 x 14, 6 x 12 & 7 x12 - all 6'6" v nose) and finding out that the buyers are all living in them, the dealer I buy my trailers from wants to put together an inexpensive "tiny house" package for people that are being priced out of the real estate market. While I'm short enough (5'7") that I can live in a 6' ht trailer, 7' gives me a whole different design option.

What I have is a single axle 7' X 14' X 6'6". Bought it in Salt lake city, Ut. Towed it up to West Yellowstone, Mt.
Then Back home to Southern N.M. Most of those miles were on Interstate the rest on State and County roads.
Never knew it was back there. But ... it was, except for essentials, empty. From what a generous cross-section
of folks on here and quite a bit of research they've linked to shows that there is only the slightest amount of
difference between a V-nose and a flat nosed trailer, mostly in the arena of fuel mileage, handling are about equal.
So, basically, a 6'6" covers most of the bases for height, re. 90% of the population while a few may wish for taller

hank

Hankeye - The 7 ft height will give me more room for a "loft bed" like flboy's. The 7 x 16 x 7 ft flat front trailer has a very cool look to it and the flat front will offer a more practical platform to design from. (I think)
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:49 am

jwh92020, Howdy;

jwh92020 wrote:
hankaye wrote:jwh92020, Howdy;

hank

Hankeye - The 7 ft height will give me more room for a "loft bed" like flboy's. The 7 x 16 x 7 ft flat front trailer has a very cool look to it and the flat front will offer a more practical platform to design from. (I think)

I was just throwing some thoughts and surmises out there, a different (?), aspect for consideration.
I always enjoy the thoughts of others when I have to make a decision especially a major one. The
decision is yours to make, don't hurry, take your time and think it through, then do it again.
Best of luck with your project.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 am

My comments were for a unit to travel frequently.

Feel free to go big as you like if the relocation is rare, they just need to go slow or even pull over in bad conditions, earlier than would be necessary for a smaller unit.

There may not be conversion standards, but there certainly are local land use codes, often specifically designed to keep people from living like this staying in one place.

Most notably water and a septic install. But yes a side issue, code-ready electrics is a good step.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am

How much difference is there in the feel of towing a 6'6" trailer vs a 7'? ...the dealer I buy my trailers from wants to put together an inexpensive...

This seems like an easy answer. Tell your dealer you'd like to take the trailers for a test drive. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:44 am

[/quote]

This seems like an easy answer. Tell your dealer you'd like to take the trailers for a test drive. :thinking:

Tony[/quote]

Tony - The towing isn't an issue for me, but for potential buyers. Specifically one's that have an SUV pulling a 6'6" or 7' trailer. I just want to be able to give them accurate information.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 am

John61CT wrote:My comments were for a unit to travel frequently.

Feel free to go big as you like if the relocation is rare, they just need to go slow or even pull over in bad conditions, earlier than would be necessary for a smaller unit.

There may not be conversion standards, but there certainly are local land use codes, often specifically designed to keep people from living like this staying in one place.

Most notably water and a septic install. But yes a side issue, code-ready electrics is a good step.

John - Thanks for the input. For some reason, most of the people that have inquired about living in one have, or have access to privately owned land outside of incorporated areas where they will be parking them. The plan to deal with black waste is to offer the option of a porta potty or a composting toilet. Based on cost, you can guess which is the most popular choice. As far as gray water, that will be something they will have to figure for themselves. We have had quite a few who are car dwellers looking for fmore room tell us there are doing what bears do in he woods.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:29 pm

> privately owned land outside of incorporated areas

That status does not mean land use is not regulated, nor even change the rules much.

It simply may alter the agencies you need to deal with.

Many communities have tried to allow unregulated use, after which the State has stepped in, such freedom is usually very temporary, and usually comes only from flying under the radar.

Again, not the seller's problem, long as you don't mislead people.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:11 pm

John - We are simply providing a form of shelter. What they do with it and where is not our concern. Our concern is that the trailers are quality built, safe & secure.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:27 pm

jwh92020, Howdy;

To return to your original question about the differences between a 6'6" & a 7'.
I gave an example of fuel mileage from when I drove OTR. It's near the bottom of
the page. Please bear in mind that This is a Big truck and not an SUV or P/U.
You could use any records that you may have kept to help with any guesstimates.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70179&p=1247279#p1247279

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions