...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:45 pm

More template work today.
I cut the profile and trued it up using a pint of elbow grease. Speaking of a pint... :beer:

I've got most of the 'drops details drawn in:

It makes for a stronger hatch spar if you butt it along the bulkhead, but I need that space to run wiring. To make up for it, the spar will be laminated oak.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:33 pm

I got a few things done...

The template is complete and stashed. Take a look and tell me what's wrong with this :pictures: ...

And the first skeleton core is glued up:

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:59 am

tony.latham wrote:I got a few things done...

The template is complete and stashed. Take a look and tell me what's wrong with this :pictures: ...

You need to give us a virtual tour of your brand new (gravity defying) workshop one of these days.

Tom :thumbsup:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am

I admire you for starting #4. I thought at one time I would build #2 to perfect all the things I learned from #1. I've since changed my mind. One and done. Nice work Tony.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 am

You need to give us a virtual tour of your brand new (gravity defying) workshop one of these days.

It's 22 x 28'. Huge with respect to my shop history. Figuring out where to stash the template was a head scratcher but it worked. With all my tools, the new chassis sitting on supports, and my 4 x 8' bench set up with the walls started... it's tight. I need to manage the flow of materials and parts. It'll make a big difference when I can wheel the chassis outside. :thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Today I gang cut the skeletons... (they were screwed together).

That big vertical strip will support the sides of the bulkhead dados and the butt joint of the 1/4" exterior sheet. The heavy horizontal chunk is for drawer slides. The skinny vertical piece is for adhesion surface for the interior/exterior ply.

The lower-left "meat" is for the headboard dados and the 45º is for adhesion of the interior/exterior skins.

But the biggee was cutting the ceiling shelf from the skeletons. With my other builds, I had used a jigsaw. On this one, I used my plunge base and Rockler's router guide so it had my full attention.

I think it took me four passes per skeleton but they are nice and plumb. I'd choose this method again and it was a good warm-up for when I cut the hatch ends.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:45 pm

#4 and it shows. You are streamlining your process. Nice work with the plunge router.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed May 01, 2019 5:50 am

tony.latham wrote:But the biggee was cutting the ceiling shelf from the skeletons. With my other builds, I had used a jigsaw. On this one, I used my plunge base and Rockler's router guide so it had my full attention.

I think it took me four passes per skeleton but they are nice and plumb. I'd choose this method again and it was a good warm-up for when I cut the hatch ends.

Tony

Nice! What is the bit diameter?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 01, 2019 6:56 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
tony.latham wrote:But the biggee was cutting the ceiling shelf from the skeletons. With my other builds, I had used a jigsaw. On this one, I used my plunge base and Rockler's router guide so it had my full attention.

Tony

Nice! What is the bit diameter?

Tom

1/4” spiral upcut. The offcuts should be the correct height for the spar blocking now.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by tony.latham on Wed May 01, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 am

Tony, very nice approach to this one. Looks like those "few" previous builds are paying off on the latest. A router really is the "poor man's CNC milling machine" with the ability to do setup work & tooling for so many things. Looking forward to the build & finished results! Will be curious to see the finish with your new coating system.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 01, 2019 8:14 am

Will be curious to see the finish with your new coating system.

Which reminds me, I need to order fiberglass and epoxy today. I'll do the walls on the bench. :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed May 01, 2019 8:14 am

I think I got this tip from Harold Payson. When using resin and fiberglass tape to strengthen a joint, cut the tape on a bias. The fibers of the tape will both be across the joint instead of only one fiber. So obvious yet I never thought of it.

Great job Tony and really fine workmanship. I so admire folks who aren't a hack builder like myself.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 01, 2019 8:24 am

Tomterrific wrote:I think I got this tip from Harold Payson. When using resin and fiberglass tape to strengthen a joint, cut the tape on a bias. The fibers of the tape will both be across the joint instead of only one fiber. So obvious yet I never thought of it.

Great job Tony and really fine workmanship. I so admire folks who aren't a hack builder like myself.

Tt

There's a great thread on that:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34887&p=633840

I followed that advice on my first build. I'll be able to add a bit more radius to the corners with this build and that should help.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 pm

DUCKWORKS BBS sells the bias cut fiberglass tape by the yard or by the roll

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/fib-biax-parent.htm

a BTW, i used2 use West System stuff exclusively but have been using DuckWorks recently w/ excellent service provided

the RAKA Epoxy they sell has a UV inhibitor & a BLUSH resistor in it as well as being considerably le$$ co$tly

and i personally feel it doesn't smell as strong as West System stuff does(butt i only use any of that type of products in WELL VENTILATED AREAS)

i have also started using their WOOD FLOUR as a filler as i'm using up my West fillers and unless i need the glass strand filler i'm thinking i'll stick w/ the flour for filing n fairing
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 01, 2019 2:34 pm

swoody126 wrote:DUCKWORKS BBS sells the bias cut fiberglass tape by the yard or by the roll

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/fib-biax-parent.htm

a BTW, i used2 use West System stuff exclusively but have been using DuckWorks recently w/ excellent service provided

the RAKA Epoxy they sell has a UV inhibitor & a BLUSH resistor in it as well as being considerably le$$ co$tly

and i personally feel it doesn't smell as strong as West System stuff does(butt i only use any of that type of products in WELL VENTILATED AREAS)

i have also started using their WOOD FLOUR as a filler as i'm using up my West fillers and unless i need the glass strand filler i'm thinking i'll stick w/ the flour for filing n fairing

Thanks on that Duckworks source. I'll probably punch the button.

I've been using Raka for a long time. I don't need their UV resistant stuff but maybe the anti-blush stuff.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals