Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Postby kirkupnorth » Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 pm

I've got to agree with everyone else here -- it looks beautiful!
8)
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Aw, shucks, Folks! :oops:
But, thanks, and thanks for bumping the thread. :thumbsup:

So, yeah... I'm in Florida summer mode. 8)
Finally cleaned out the pool. I haven't touched it since Irma, over a year and a half ago. A lot of very unhappy frogs have lost their nesting spot due to chlorination.
What a job that was! :shock:
Dragged the kayaks out too.
When the budget allows, I'll be back at the camper.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 pm

I want to feel sorry for you, but ........ I am doing the same thing with my pool. Probably a lot easier job as my pool is indoors, but still a job. Just took down 4 trees that were 125+ years old and over 80' high and trimmed out eight more. THAT was a job! I might be getting too old for that kind of stuff. Next up is to replace the hail damaged roofing on the house, greenhouse, pool, garage, shop and barn. Then install a new boiler. Then it's time for vacation, hopefully BEFORE the snow flies again!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:16 pm

I'll take the hurricanes. You keep the snow. :eyebrows2:

I dropped 3 Norfolk Pines that were right next to the house and making me nervous, just before Irma hit. I cleaned them up afterwards, along with everything else. They were 70 plus feet, but only twenty some years old.
Those were the most miserable things I've ever taken a chainsaw to! Every down-side limb was driven into the ground and snapped off, and had to be pulled up... and you don't want to step on one!
NEVER, EVER, take cute, little, potted, supermarket Christmas trees and plant them near your house! :duh:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby XR-duous » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Hey karebru, are you happy with your ac set up? Is it cooling the camper? Are the vents dissipating the heat enough? I was thinking to replicate that set up in mine and wanted to get your feedback now that you've had it for a minute.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karebru » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:04 am

The AC shroud still needs to have baffles installed that separate the in and out flow of the outside air. It also needs weather stripping around the inside opening.
I haven't really tested it yet.
It's a variation of what several guys here have done. I'm trusting their experience. ;)

Not a whole lot going on with my camper lately. I've been fiddling around with the plumbing a little bit.
Finishing that up is probably my next step.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby XR-duous » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 am

Karebru wrote:The AC shroud still needs to have baffles installed that separate the in and out flow of the outside air. It also needs weather stripping around the inside opening.
I haven't really tested it yet.
It's a variation of what several guys here have done. I'm trusting their experience. ;)

Not a whole lot going on with my camper lately. I've been fiddling around with the plumbing a little bit.
Finishing that up is probably my next step.
Yeah in going over it in my head 1000 times, that was my biggest question with your set up. Is there enough separation between intake and exhaust. I've see some run the intake through a roof vent, but I didn't really want to cut my roof. I've seen others install little computer fans to push the air around too. Not sure if that's needed or not. The ac is my next project, so it's consuming my thought process currently.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

Separation baffles is fundamental and replicates the unit hanging out the window. Adequate airflow over condensor is also key and the main difference between installations. If you need to run additional fans to make that happen, probably not ideal and either sacrificing efficiency or etc.. The unit should be able to have access to the volume of air that fan can push without back pressure. If that is done, the AC won't care and will work like it was designed for.

Don't be afraid to cut holes where you need them. I put an RV roof Gas Fridge exhaust on my CTC for my AC and done right, you will never have issues other than maybe replacing the cover after many years of UV exposure.

Best of luck.. there are many configurations you can choose and they will work just fine. Separation and airflow are the key factors to consider.

Folks on this website are so creative.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:08 pm

XR-duous, flboy (Don) is the one who gave me the basic idea and explained the need for baffles.
I'm with you, though. I didn't want to cut holes in my roof. I know, if it's done properly, but... :frightened:

One thing I did do, was make my shroud big enough to step up a size on the AC, in case the 5,000 doesn't do the job.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Karebru wrote:XR-duous, flboy (Don) is the one who gave me the basic idea and explained the need for baffles.
I'm with you, though. I didn't want to cut holes in my roof. I know, if it's done properly, but... :frightened:

One thing I did do, was make my shroud big enough to step up a size on the AC, in case the 5,000 doesn't do the job.

And I really like what you did... one of the best solutions I have seen for all in and out the side. I am sure it will work well and it looks first class! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Certainly the roof intake is only one way... there is another thread, and I can't remember the name off the top that has it all in and out through the floor for stealth reasons. Another creative solution and, as I remember, he said it worked well with the only drawback needing an fan in the cabin to stir the cold air that was all at floor level to start and then it would cycle off due to location of thermostat at the floor level with the colder air staying low... but there is a hack to move that from the AC unit itself if you wanted.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeah, i was wondering about the floor option, but with the ac unit up high and creating ducts for intake and exhaust through the floor.....or just the intake. My concern was that it would be too far to draw air properly.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 pm

XR-duous wrote:Yeah, i was wondering about the floor option, but with the ac unit up high and creating ducts for intake and exhaust through the floor.....or just the intake. My concern was that it would be too far to draw air properly.

I do not know how far too far is , but the closer the better and the further it is, the larger the duct size to reduce the resistance and maintain flow. Same Idea as current and wire gage vs voltage drop.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:02 am

flboy wrote:
Karebru wrote: I didn't want to cut holes in my roof.

there is another thread, and I can't remember the name off the top that has it all in and out through the floor for stealth reasons. Another creative solution and, as I remember, he said it worked well with the only drawback needing an fan in the cabin to stir the cold air that was all at floor level to start and then it would cycle off due to location of thermostat at the floor level with the colder air staying low... but there is a hack to move that from the AC unit itself if you wanted.

It's Hader,
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1207904

Also, look into "through the wall" air conditioners. Everything vents out the back. No protruding unit. Very stealthy.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... VS0Pr6Ymxk
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Karebru » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Build log entry:

My build went over budget a while ago, so I'm still trying to free up some cash for hardware and finishing supplies so I can complete the cabinetry and trim.
My wife says, "Sell a gun"... That's her solution to everything. :laughter:
Um... No.

In the meantime, I cashed in a gallon of mixed change, and I've been working on my plumbing. I hate plumbing. I'm always chasing leaks, but I'm getting better at it.

To rehash details from earlier posts...
My toilet is a self contained porta-potty. I'll have gray waste water only, from a kitchen sink and a bathroom sink. My freshwater supply is a 40 gallon tank with a demand pump, and I'll have the option of using campsite hookup. I'm also adding an outside hose bib for sandy feet rinsing, and a posible outdoor shower tent.

Today, I mounted my sinks and faucets, hooked up the supply lines, and ran the drains through the floor. I still need to run my campsite hook up line and the hose bib supply line.
I also need to tie my 1-1/4" drains together and run them out to to the side of the trailer, to where I will have a portable waste tank.

I had a picture or a link or something, of a DIY gray water drain set up, but now I can't find it. I think all it amounted to was a threaded PVC ball valve.
The removable hose was a male thread/female slip coupler with a length of corrugated hose glued in to it. :thinking:
Oughta work. No?
While searching, I'm also seeing what looks like adapters for hooking up smaller gray water lines to sewer hook ups.? :eyebrows2:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:28 pm

This post cracks me up!

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions