Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby PCO6 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm

I have the non V-PKG edition and so far so good. The V-PKG model is Coachmen's off road model of what I have. I plan to make some modifications to make it a bit more off road usable. I think both models are a good platform for customizing for your specific use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-HjfFSNbc&t=12s

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Re: Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby PCO6 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:49 pm

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Cathy P. » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Our local dealer had 2 of these except in the Viking brand which is basically the same, and they immediately sold. Usually nothing sells that fast here.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Cathy - That's good to hear. It's a new model for this year and maybe it's early yet but I'm having trouble finding other owners. I was starting to worry that no one else wants one! lol
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:32 pm

BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby PCO6 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:11 pm

Goofy - That's Coachmen's website. It provides specs and photos for the Clipper Express 9.0td ( http://www.coachmenrv.com/camping-trail ... 9.0TD/4503 ) but has nothing on the off road version, the V-PKG, other than the video link I provided above. The added features are "nice" but, apart from the larger tires, I don't see how they make it any more off roadable.

The basic frame is not bad - 2" x 3.5" rectangular tube side rails and tongue - but all of the cross members are "C" channel. I've stiffened up the 2 rear rails by adding square tubing, angle iron, a few angle braces and a 2" rear receiver tube. I'll be adding a bit more when I replace the 2,000 lb. axle with a 3,500 lb. axle. I don't know if the frame for the V-PKG has any improvements vs. the standard model.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby bigbadbarty » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm

We just picked up our 2020 Clipper Express 9.0 TD last Saturday. Loving it so far. I do have a question about the converter. Do you use the converter to charge and maintain your battery? I plugged the trailer in when we got home and the battery is holding at 13.68 volts, I'm just hoping the converter/charger is smart enough to not boil the battery.
bigbadbarty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 am

It's nice to meet another owner! There aren't many of us yet as these are new for this year.

I have maintained my battery by simply plugging it into my house power. I am sure there's no risk of cooking the battery. I also charge mine with my my tow vehicle(s) while driving. I also have a 100W solar panel and will be adding it to the roof. I'll be able to dismount it so I can "follow the sun" while camping.

I am new to converters but I understand they are commonly used in RV's. I am much more familiar with inverters. I am thinking of adding one but want to make sure I don't screw anything up (i.e. - the battery) with an additional electrical system. BTW - I replaced the battery that came with the trailer with a Group 27 deep cycle battery.

It's a bit frustrating that these don't come with a wiring diagram. I am slowly making my own. No doubt you found a lot of loose, "un-loomed" wiring under yours. I have started to put it in to proper wiring loom. Underneath you can see everything but in the cabin you can't find any wiring. I "assume" the converter is hidden behind the breaker/fuse box … which you have to get on to your hands and knees to read.

I've started to modify mine and will start a thread as soon as I make a bit more progress. So far I've replaced everything on the tongue and added a box, stiffened up the rear of the frame and added a 2" receiver as well as done some minor things in the interior. I making a roof / kayak rack and should have that done in a week or so. I'll be swapping out the axle for a 3,500 lb. one plus adding 15" wheels & tires. I'll also be adding square fenders and running boards.

I used mine for the first time this past weekend and everything went well. It went down to about 45* on one night and it was so warm inside that I didn't even bother with the heater.

Here are a few pics from this past weekend ... the vintage races at Mosport, Ontario.

… and a few of the mods I've made so far …

The tongue …

And the spare wheel under the tongue …
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:30 am

BTW … I've learned that you can easily put 2 bicycles inside on top of the bed! I put them on top of a 54" x 72" moving blanket. They should stay put but I'll be adding a few latch points.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby bigbadbarty » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Dang, you've done a bunch of stuff to your TD already. I like the box on the tongue, moving the battery inside and adding some dry storage is a great idea. It looks like you downsized your propane tank to fit it all across? I really like the idea of the 2 inch receiver on the back, I just don't want to give up the step and neither does my wife. :). Do you have some more pics of your tongue setup? I'd like to see how you laid it all out.
It's nice to see another owner for sure. These things are few and far between in Washington.
bigbadbarty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:53 am

I didn't see a need for a 20 lb. propane tank so I went with a 5 lb. tank. The water tank on the left side of the trailer is fine for now but I plan to install a larger tank and pump under the frame. When I do that I will add a second 5 lb. propane tank.

Regarding the 2" receiver, It will mainly be for the kayak rack I'm making. The structure underneath also stiffens up the frame. It will have an upright "T" bar to support 2 kayaks. The original rear steps still fit but I thought I'd go with a collapseable plastic stool to save a bit of weight. I can also move it around to assist with strapping down the kayaks.

Here are some more pics of the tongue area ...

I have the same box on my other trailer. It has a 2,000W inverter and I'm thinking of adding one to this trailer too.

Here is a link to my other trailer build … http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/showth ... iler-Build
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby bigbadbarty » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Nice work. That Jeep project trailer is crazy. Your metal work and finishes are done very well. If you put that effort into the Clipper, you're really going to have a show stopper at the camp sites. I'm not sure if we want to give up the 20lb propane until we run the furnace a night or two and see just how much it burns. I was also thinking about upgrading to a group 27 battery but again, I think I'm going to give it few trips and see how fast we burn through power if at all. I think my first update is going to be swapping out the speakers for something decent and maybe hooking up the "B" side of the stereo to some outdoor speakers.
Keep on posting pics as you go, I'd like to follow your work.
bigbadbarty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 pm

compromise - there is 'the' in between tank size = 2.5 gallon tank. Two different versions available out there - Manchester makes a squatty one, same diameter as a 5 gallon at half the height or the 'same' height as a 5 gallon that is about a inch larger in diameter as the 1 gallon. Cost wise = either is about the same, about twice the cost of a 5 gallon (1 gal, 2.5 gal = about $60+ each) Suggestion, when looking at tanks, always check "the" build date on the handle and buy the newest/latest dated one. Tanks have a 'limited' 12 year service life. You want the newest one you can find. (have seen one on a store shelf that was 4 years old - :? old stock!!)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby PCO6 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 am

bigbadbarty - Thanks. I plan to build the Clipper in the same general fashion as my expedition trailer. The problem I have now is that my wife has no interest in camping with that one. She likes the new one! lol

Good point about measuring the propane that the furnace will burn. I don't think (hope) that I'll be using it much and with the second 5 lb. tank added I'm sure it will be more than enough when going on week long trips. As for the air conditioner … I'll probably be taking it out and using the space for something else. I also like your idea about replacing the interior speakers (they're not very good) and adding ones to the outside.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 am

gudmund - Good point about checking the dates on the handles, especially with the less popular size tanks … that usually cost more. I don't buy tanks often but I always check that. I also like to have MY tank filled vs. getting an exchange tank for basically the same reason. Another thing to check is how the handle was welded on. I have one that I didn't realize is a bit crooked. It works fine but visually it drives me nuts.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers