New Cargo Conversion Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New Cargo Conversion Build

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 pm

McDave wrote:Holy Jeans Batman! That flooring looks great!
Pretty tough to beat that stuff for the money. Are you planning to do the ramp as well? I did mine. I think it makes a nice finished look for the rear wall. You are making some good progress there, I can see camping in the near future.
Rock on XR-duous.

McDave
Yeah, those work Jean's are in pretty bad shape, lol. I think I'll leave the gate for now. I had tossed around the idea of putting some grip tape on there for better wet loading. We will see.

I started working on the wall bed frame today while the floor is drying. I had some 2x4's and hinges just sitting around, so it was easy to make some progress. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Made some more progress today. Not sure the best way to do legs where they actually lock when down. I put the frame on spring hinges, so we have a little help lifting it and it has more incentive to stay put in locked up position. I still need more slats and then we have the finishing stuff, but we are making progress. ImageImage

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm

This weekend's progress report: My trailer is 2" wider than 7.5', so I decided to put a trim piece along the edge. I installed the 30 amp connector, load center, and 4 outlets all wired and run (not pictured). I got one of the ac vents in and built the basic framing for the ac/fridge cabinet. And...my Murphy bed grew legs.

If I get the 3.1cu fridge, I'll have plenty of space to add a microwave. Just trying to decide if that's something we would ever need while camping. That will be down the road though when I can save more cashola.

I purchased a "house" roof vent for the intake side of the ac, but I'm nervous about that part, since it's not really designed for this kind of application. Seems like it would draw enough air though. Thoughts on all of that are definitely welcomed.....on the whole project for that matter.

I will be finishing the under side of the Murphy bed (when stowed) with cabinets, and I'll have cabinets across the front of the trailer as well. I'm not entirely sure how to finish out the edges so that it looks nicer than just 2 pieces of plywood meeting. Thoughts on that?

Ac is ordered and comes in next week. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:54 pm

XR-duous, Howdy;

You certainly are just pluggin' right along with your build. Ambitious, yup. Lookin'
good also yup. There is one thing I'd like to ask you, and that is about that vent you
have installed up high on the side of your CT. I'm asking as I've only seen them installed
in one direction and it is with the locking tabs on the bottom and yours appear to be
on the upper edge. Now I do not know if they are designed to shed water (rain), in one
direction or both. I have been a fulltime RVer for over a decade now and everyone
that I've seen is as I mentioned earlier. Something you may wish to consider.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks hank. It sounds like I installed it upsidedown, lol. Good catch. Easy fix, thankfully. I was looking at that today trying to think through the rain logic. Could have swore that's the way I saw them go. Looking back at a previous pic.... I definitely turned it around in my head. Thanks again!

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Also, it seems ambitious, because I'm trying to get the basics together for a camping trip in mid-July. I'll slow down after that.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby XR-duous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:06 am

hankaye wrote:XR-duous, Howdy;

You certainly are just pluggin' right along with your build. Ambitious, yup. Lookin'
good also yup. There is one thing I'd like to ask you, and that is about that vent you
have installed up high on the side of your CT. I'm asking as I've only seen them installed
in one direction and it is with the locking tabs on the bottom and yours appear to be
on the upper edge. Now I do not know if they are designed to shed water (rain), in one
direction or both. I have been a fulltime RVer for over a decade now and everyone
that I've seen is as I mentioned earlier. Something you may wish to consider.

hank
Actually, upon further inspection, I'm certain i have this installed correctly. I think this one is made differently than others. As it is now, the plastic swoops upward to the vent. If I were to switch it, they would swoop down to the vent, which means water would have direct entrance. As it stands now, water would have to fly from the ground upward to get in.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 am

XR-duous, Howdy;

Ok, you have it in front of you and I don't. Nuff said there ...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby XR-duous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:02 am

hankaye wrote:XR-duous, Howdy;

Ok, you have it in front of you and I don't. Nuff said there ...

hank
I totally appreciate you pointing it out. It is odd that mine is turned opposite of others. Brand difference? Idn

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Hey XR-duous,
Really making some progress there. You are gonna NEED some time off by mid July! It will all be worth the effort when you get to the camping spot.
Nice work. :beer:
That's a pretty nice view out the vent hole there.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:43 pm

McDave wrote:Hey XR-duous,
Really making some progress there. You are gonna NEED some time off by mid July! It will all be worth the effort when you get to the camping spot.
Nice work.
That's a pretty nice view out the vent hole there.

McDave
Thanks mcdave. We have a nice lakeside spot reserved, so we are definitely looking forward to that! Thanks for the property comment too. We really love our place. It was a real Godsend.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:14 pm

I might be a little confused at what I am seeing in this pic. But I'm pretty sure the only place the ground and neutral should be bonded is at the power source (meter panel, generator.) Others might be able to spread more light on the subject.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 am

I think you need a buss bar for the neutrals separate from the grounds. That is a 220v box, correct? And you want 120v/ 30a service, correct? Technically it may be the same thing unless the campsite 30a is grounded to a ground rod driven into the earth. Also I believe chassis should be grounded to green wire. I have a 120vac/12vdc power center with 120v/30a service so it looks different than the breaker box you are using. Single pole 120v breakers for sure. Here is how my panel is wired...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby XR-duous » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:18 am

I know for sure I need a jumper from the black to the plate on the left side to make it work, since its 120 and not 220 (seems nearly impossible to find a box that's simply 120). Jumper not pictured. Hadn't considered a chassis ground, but will have to think about that. I asked an electrician if I needed a separate ground bar, since the box didnt come with it, and he said it was unnecessary if the box was bonded (which it is by that one green screw). I did read somewhere where people apparently debate over that. I'm no electrician....just going off of what he said. Interested to hear all the ideas though.

Thanks for the diagram, mcdave.

XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:05 am

XR-duous, Howdy;

And anyone else ...

I lay ZERO claim to knowledge of or about electricity. The guy that wrote
the following list of articles however does. I believe that there might be some
contact info but I may be wrong about that. He writes articles for rvtravel.com
and is a Nationally recognized 'expert' for this kinda thing. Here's the link;
https://www.rvtravel.com/category/rv-el ... ewsletter/

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions