How much does all your gear weigh?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

How much does all your gear weigh?

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am

I am looking at building a small trailer, about 3 foot by 7foot. The lid will flip open and become a base to put a tent on. Our car is small and I would love the total weight of trailer and gear to be under 600lbs but could accept 800lbs. I can calculate the trailer weight.

What I was wondering is what does gear fir 2 people weigh? Include mattresses, clothes, dishes, food, all of it.
Really it is as if you were going tent camping.

Thanks
loaderman
The 300 Club

Re: How much does all your gear weigh?

Postby gudmund » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am

My old (4x8) trailer weighted 900lbs empty and always seem to be around 1200lbs loaded - this new trailer (5x8) weights in at 1100lbs empty, and rolls across the scales at 1440lbs full - mattress, spare tire, cooking tools, side (2) tables -etc. Carry everything else in the back of the PU tow vehicle. Am getting ready for a drive across the states the end of July, so yes I have been putting a lot of things aside so as to 'lighten the 'load'. Got back from the trucking scale yesterday and the PU axle was down -220lbs from the last weight in. (axle weight had been right at 3000lbs - it came in at 2780lbs this time) have a few more items I plan 'not' to be carrying. No Dutch Ovens-Camp Chef stove-griddles, etc. And 'yes', I have been 'guilty' of carrying just 'too' much stuff' - a few years back when returning home from Canada, the Border officer - after looking in the trailer/back of PU returned to me and said "I have one last question for you before I let you go - 'why are you carrying 'so much' stuff?" My answer - cause I've been camping!! He said 'get out of here' - laughing.......... PS - a lot of our 'State' truck scales are left 'on' after hours here in Washington so the trucks can still check their weights - I go in after hours than and use them than.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

That is just about an impossible question to answer for anyone but you. It depends so much on what you decide to camp with and carry. I can backpack for a week with a pack that is less than 40lbs , but that isn't what I use car camping or camping with a trailer.

How much water and things like canned goods you carry, plus what equipment you camp with, will be what you need to add up. There is a big difference between taking 3 cast iron dutch ovens and 3 titanium pots.

Are you boondocking or camping far away from stores? Or will you be able to restock frequently? Water weighs about 8 lbs to the gallon. Fresh and canned food, ice, etc are going to be close to that also, unless you are using a lot of dehydrated items.

Make a list of what you will need for your longest time without resupply and see how much that weighs. Clothing will be dependent on the weather and what activities you plan on.

There are lots of great videos on motorcycle camping and motorcycle trailers that can be helpful for you. There are even some motorcycle trailer builds on Tnttt. They do try to camp light. Here is a youtube with a pop up motorcycle trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6tksVG08I

Have fun with your build!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:37 pm

Had my trailer weight at 700lbs and that's everything except my bag of clothes and food.
(Mattress, chairs, sleeping bag, blankets, ect stay in teardrop).

My opinion;;;; no point in building a trailer just to sleep in a tent.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 pm

I carry no water and only a packed 'lunch'. I have no galley......

The total weight with bearing spares and batteries,
bedding and 4 days clothing in a pack runs just under 700 lbs.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:19 am

Thanks for the replies.
Not going to carry water, but get it each day as needed.
Camping in campsites with electricity mostly, definitely not carrying a generator.
Wife does not want a teardrop, the tent on a trailer keeps it light, pushes less air, and gives us more room, and allows.us to stand in the center.
Will shop about every 3 or 4 days on a 2 week trip, or just once on a long weekend trip.
No Dutch oven, no bbq. Will use 2 burner coleman stove, a fry pan and 2 pots. And the campsite fire pit.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:46 am

Mine tipped in at 860lbs coming home from a trip. Fully loaded except about a half load of food
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 am

I should add I used to pull with a Scion XD 5speed manual hatchback.

it had some issues on steep hills (had to run in 3rd gear) but otherwise it got it done. On flatter terrain I even averaged 27MPG @65MPH
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:47 am

loaderman wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Not going to carry water, but get it each day as needed.
Camping in campsites with electricity mostly, definitely not carrying a generator.
Wife does not want a teardrop, the tent on a trailer keeps it light, pushes less air, and gives us more room, and allows.us to stand in the center.
Will shop about every 3 or 4 days on a 2 week trip, or just once on a long weekend trip.
No Dutch oven, no bbq. Will use 2 burner coleman stove, a fry pan and 2 pots. And the campsite fire pit.

It sounds like you will be very light already. Just guessing from my own "car/tent" camping, I would guess that you could keep your kitchen/food/sleeping stuff around 150 lbs or so. Weight of the tent you choose will probably be one of your heavier items along with a filled cooler. Clothing extra.

With what you have listed, I don't think you need to stress too much if you keep your weight restrictions in mind when packing the extras. Do a dry run of what you will take and either weigh it or take an educated guess as to what it weighs.

Sounds like a fun adventure! :thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 am

booyah wrote:I should add I used to pull with a Scion XD 5speed manual hatchback.

it had some issues on steep hills (had to run in 3rd gear) but otherwise it got it done. On flatter terrain I even averaged 27MPG @65MPH

I will be using a Chevy cruze 1.4L turbo. Towing is Capacity is 1000lbs but I want to be well below that. I will be doing a 2 week trip through the mountains of bc.
Considering brake axles and a load leveler hitch.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 pm

That close to the tow weight....!

Brakes are a good idea.
Especially in the mountains.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to General Discussion