truck tailgate storage extender project

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

truck tailgate storage extender project

Postby working on it » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm

* Yep, it's that time again, for another "storage" project to begin. I only thought that with my sidesaddle boxes added to the trailer (to store the miscellaneous loose gear and supplies that never found a permanent home) http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71567, and with pretty much everything else stored under cover in my truck bed http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71791, then my storage problems (for camping) were over. Not. I still had the one leftover cooler (my newest, Yeti-clone, Igloo IMX) without a good spot to carry it. It was going to have to ride in the passenger seat of my regular-cab '04 Silverado 2500HD; I'm tired of having coolers sloshing around in the cab!

* So, I shopped-around for folding tailgate-extenders, and never found one under $100, even used, I took another page from my past and made my own from re-purposed materials. Last time, I used scrap polycarbonate from a different type of bed-cover project on my '86 S-10, that was on a removable-pin slide-mount (there are no pictures that I can find at all, of any of my old trucks!), but it was a wind-catcher when it was installed, and often tried to go sailing away. This time, I decided to use another wire shelf (I love those things), that would be rust-resistant (black epoxy-coated, not zinc-chrome like my other shelves used as storage racks, which aren't always exposed to the weather), and wider, to maximize storage area on the 61" wide tailgate. I had ear-marked the 54" x 14" shelf when I was considering two roof-top racks running lengthwise beside the fishing-gear carrier tube up there, but decided on the side-saddle racks, using 30" wide shelves I already had.

* So, I ordered one for $22 (+shipping) last week, and used Rubbermaid wire shelf wall connectors (same as I used on my interior front shelf, and on my front exterior rack), which I still had six left (two will be spares), and #10-16 x 3/4" TEK self-drilling hex screws to attach it to the tailgate. It will fold forward when I close the tailgate, and it fits nicely in the limited space under the cover panel, and behind the coolers and fuel jug stored there. I only need to get some 1.5" x 1/4" aluminum flat stock (or maybe galvanized, or I can paint some flat carbon steel...it just depends on what's at Home Depot), and make the side braces (4). Two 48" pieces will do, and I have the bolts, pins, and leftover thru-knobs to make four side-braces (2 x 21", 2 x 25"). I'll take the wife to HD for more gardening stuff (again), and sneak in my supplies while there, tomorrow.
NEXEL 54 x 14.JPG
I love these sturdy wire shelves
NEXEL 54 x 14.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 559 times
rear truck tailgate storage extender project begins.jpg
the purpose of this is to move my big cooler onto the tailgate, freeing space for my newer cooler under the bedcover
rear truck tailgate storage extender project begins.jpg (252.04 KiB) Viewed 559 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: truck tailgate storage extender project

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:26 pm

* After much yardwork this morning (not my thing, but the wife insisted), and then loading up the wife's truck with both push mowers that have suddenly decided to not run anymore, afterwards (taking them both to the mower repair place, again... small engines hate me), I rested for a few hours before I took the wife to Home Depot for garden supplies (and a step drill and two aluminum flat stock pieces. to use on the project).

* It took no time at all to cut the pieces to length, and drill a couple of holes in the shelf, and four in the two pieces I ended-up using (instead of the four pieces I thought I'd need...I have spare stock on hand, now), and then the job was done. I arranged the truck as if I was leaving for camp, and with the new tailgate storage space, there'll be no need to carry a cooler inside the cab with me. The two pieces of aluminum are slightly torqued into place, so it actually eliminates all tailgate movement, so added bracing isn't needed. Carrying a 60 lb loaded cooler there will be no problem.
truck bed &  tailgate storage extension project completed.jpg
hmmm, I just noticed unused space surrounding the cooler, I wonder if....?
truck bed & tailgate storage extension project completed.jpg (280.76 KiB) Viewed 496 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion