Kit Profile Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Kit Profile Build

Postby powelly78 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:41 am

Hi all,

Long time trawler, first time builder! I cut a template out from a Kit profile I ordered online.

I"m using pre made doors though, and I want to get the template right before I use a flush trim router to cut the pattern onto the good plywood.

So, I'm really not happy with my first cut out on the door especially on the corners( I used a jigsaw ) , and a really glad I am doing some testing templates on the crap plywood.

Does anyone have any tips on cutting the corners for the door cut out? the corner of these doors is actually a little proud of the straight area - when they bent the curves in the factory it pushed the curve out a little proud

And since these doors don't have an internal trim ring to hide any of my unscrupulous work........Id like to get it right.

I'm thinking of a tracksaw or circular saw with guide rail, for the straights, and maybe a router with a circle jig? ( cutting out the circles before the straights obviously )

Any advice greatly appreciated.

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Re: Kit Profile Build

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 pm

I wouldn't try to get the cuts perfect. I would just plan on making a trim ring to hide any inevitable gaps.

Good carpenters will generally use a shadow line effect, making trim that is straight and overlapping, not perfectly butting, forming a shadow line in addition to the edge of the trim. This has the effect of showing the eye a straight edge or line, while creating additional interest and hiding any imperfections in the shadow line. Windows and doors go into rough openings. Trim overlaps wall and jamb with a reveal. Celebrate the lack of precision by misdirection (i.e. trim).

I have used this or similar techniques on my build many times. When you get a mar or defect on one side of the cabin, don't try to blend or hide it... you will rarely ever be satisfied by the result. Add a feature that contrasts and hides the boo-boo, and add it to the other side, too, so it looks like it was supposed to be there all along.

Kind of like using a Dutchman or butterfly splice in a cracked table top. It becomes a "decorative feature", no longer just a patch.

I don't claim to be an expert, but you know what they say, "the difference between amateurs and experts is how well they hide their mistakes." :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:21 am

Progress at last!!!! I spent some time getting the profile just right! and now its starting to take shape!!
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I have been making progress but I have been a little slack with the posts ........ So here we go.......

I installed the headlining - I used 4mm Luan Ply, I got from the Big Green Shed! its was a little over $20 a sheet.

I used Sikaflax on the ribs and made up some support standy things to hold the Luan against the ribs- that was a total PITA. nest time I will just cut extensions to but up against the clamp like I have done in one of the photos.

I wish a gadget existed that I could screw to the floor with many arms coming from it..... to push up against the Luan . :thinking:

I now understand why companies screw the Luan in and cover with Marine Carpet........and why the original Kit Kamper just screwed the Luan to the outside of the ribs ( Ribs that were nicer than mine! )
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Here are some pictures of the Interior headlining with the support ribs removed --- Its coming together!!

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm

I started installing the interior walls and kitchen.......

Things learned so far in the build to be faster next time.

Mark out all the kitchen and dividers and onto the sidewalls and drill the holes for the screws - while the sidewalls are flat - (before initial assembly)

Mark out and pre drill where all the ribs are going to be placed on the sidewalls while the sidewalls are flat. (before initial assembly)

Obviously getting all the parts and holes drilled on a CNC Router would make the build fly.......but we are all here to learn and I'm glad I started from scratch for my first build.

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm

After speaking with someone I met wit ha teardrop build recently - I am gong to add a solar panel and a battery .

it will purely be for charging mobile phones and the interior 12v Lights.

This is the combination I was going to go for.

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:07 pm

KCStudly wrote:I wouldn't try to get the cuts perfect. I would just plan on making a trim ring to hide any inevitable gaps.

Good carpenters will generally use a shadow line effect, making trim that is straight and overlapping, not perfectly butting, forming a shadow line in addition to the edge of the trim. This has the effect of showing the eye a straight edge or line, while creating additional interest and hiding any imperfections in the shadow line. Windows and doors go into rough openings. Trim overlaps wall and jamb with a reveal. Celebrate the lack of precision by misdirection (i.e. trim).

I have used this or similar techniques on my build many times. When you get a mar or defect on one side of the cabin, don't try to blend or hide it... you will rarely ever be satisfied by the result. Add a feature that contrasts and hides the boo-boo, and add it to the other side, too, so it looks like it was supposed to be there all along.

Kind of like using a Dutchman or butterfly splice in a cracked table top. It becomes a "decorative feature", no longer just a patch.

I don't claim to be an expert, but you know what they say, "the difference between amateurs and experts is how well they hide their mistakes." :lol:

By the way, I forgot to thank KCStudly - for his repsonse. I appreciate the input- I think I;m going to take my doors to an aluminium place here in my town, and see if they can bend a trim ring to suit the door. problem solved hopefully
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 am

$50 for a 10-watt panel is about double of what you should be paying.

Take a look on Amazon.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby powelly78 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Sorry for the no updates - I ave been busy building the cabinet face frames and mitre panel doors out of oak and birch plywood.

Photos soon!! - this process has taken longer than the initial assembly!!
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 am

Hi all,

Sorry about the lack of updates - Life has been busy - but progress has been made.

and much has been learnt in the process.

I started building the cabinet face frames in Meranti - then after the first one was built I switch to Tasmanian Oak, (Ash) - which I found to be good - but it was quite stringy when cutting on table saw and I had to use cover timber so that little hairs didn't split off.

The doors are timber panel with birch plywood panels. I compared the expensive Birch Plywood to the big box store bunnings Luan - and since I'm cutting it up into tiny door panels - I have a good chance of cutting around knots. I wont be buying the expensive Birch again - at least not for this thickness of ply.

The Cabinet doors are made with a Festool Domino - on the mitre ends , and run over the table saw to create the groove for the panel . for the next teardrop - If I do cabinet doors - I have since bought a cabinet router set - (Shaker Style ) which has two router bits - one for the groove and one for the tenon - this will be much faster than using the domino.

All in all I'm happy the way the doors turned out.

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 am

Heres the face frames with the doors attached and in position. - the top one isn't fixed in yet.

The hinges i used were from eBay - I used them because I liked the look of the brass and thought they would be easy (quick ) to fit.

The idea was to do partial overlay cabinet doors - so it would be less fiddly than traditional cabinet making inset doors.

The hinges were not that easy to fit - as the spring in the hinge moves the doors position a little when it gets tightened.

Next time I would used Full or Partial Overlay doors and European cabinet hinges.

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:52 am

THE HATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of purposefully left this part of the build until the last possible moment I could - Due to Hatch anxiety LOL )
But I had a crack............... I cut two side panels for the hatch from ply, using a template.

Then I cut the ribs to the required length and screwed it all together........ followed by gluing the luan to the inside of the hatch................

All of this was done with the hatch not fitted to the body................MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm feeling quite proud of myself and thinking, "What was I worried about!!! the hatch was EASY"

fast forward a week after the glue had dried and i test fitted the hatch......................... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM it was not square and it had warped............... DAMMIT !!

more internet research.......... and Facebook groups for advice!!

the consensus is to build the hatch in situ...........

So I peeled off the luan and removed all the glue............ and started again....

Round 2 -
I mounted the side ribs in the body - screwing through the sides- I squared it all up first . then routered off the proud timber with a flush cut trim bit............. then hand planed the ribs to fit..........

This coming week I will be gluing the luan in place - while the hatch is mounted in the body!!

powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 am

What hinge will you be using tor the hatch? A hurricane hinge needs a 3/8" gap.

:thinking:

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Powelly..
Your tear is looking great.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, those hinges move when screwed on, though they also work very well.. I have used them a lot over the years.. and have on my teardrop..
Building the hatch in place is a great idea.. I did my hatch in place.. as several others have done on here..
Keep up the awesome work... David

And remember, Tony was the one that said hurricane hinge :applause: I missed the gap for the hinge to start with.. luckily before I skinned it all..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals