Another sealant thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Another sealant thread

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 am

Good timing I must be about the same stage as you, I spent day's trying to find polyurethane caulk on or in a tube! :lol:
Now I have the fan, doors, and window to Rethink.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby zzzizxz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 am

twisted lines wrote:Good timing I must be about the same stage as you, I spent day's trying to find polyurethane caulk on or in a tube! :lol:
Now I have the fan, doors, and window to Rethink.

Ha! There's just SO MUCH information out there, it's hard to figure out the best option and then actually make a decision. :?

I actually called Frank at Vintage Technologies, and asked him what he uses. He said the doors that come with a rubber gasket don't need anything, and the stargazer window and hurricane hinge use primarily butyl tape.

I think I'm going to also paint gripper over top of the screws on the hinge, just for peace of mind.
For the fan, I'm going to use butyl tape and screw it down. While there are lots of good options, I have butyl tape, and camper builders have been using it for years. I have to assume it wouldn't be used if it didn't work!
zzzizxz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks for your follow up!

Frank's Idea on the door sounds good; I would rather have nothing in the door and have a problem then the wrong thing then try to fix it :thumbsup:
The fan I am with you.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am

zzzizxz wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Latex doesn’t have the elasticity of poly.

Think about washboard roads and chuck holes and the normal vibration as your camper is towed at sixty-five.

There is a difference between a caulk and a sealant.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I was incorrect when I called it caulk. Many reviews have called it caulk, but the DAP website (and the tube) calls it an exterior sealant, not an exterior caulk.

Although they seem to work very hard to NOT classify it as poly, silicone, latex, etc...

Interestingly, looking at the MSDS for the DAP, it uses limestone and quartz as fillers, which was what the OLD glidden gripper used. It also has carbon black, which seems to be basically a rubber product. I assume that's how they get the additional elasticity out of it. Don't know if that has any impact on anything though.

I wouldn't read too much, or any, meaning into the terms the marketing folks apply to these materials. They just infer end-uses.

>latex and poly..are the same thing. Latexes are comprised of polymers. No polymer..no latex.

>...difference between a caulk and a sealant. They are the same thing..caulks are meant to seal weather out. Sealants seal out weather by having great adhesive properties..so sealants can be adhesives and adhesives can be sealants. Which role they play depends on how you want to use them. Permanent sealant-adhesives, like 3M 5200, are reactive(crosslinking) materials with really great adhesive properties. This makes them VERY tough to remove and, by definition, they cannot dissolve in solvents. Typical "caulks" are not reactive..they are intended to seal weather out, only.

>...limestone and quartz fillers.. They are opacifiers that are much cheaper than titanium dioxide..no added real functionality.

?..carbon black.. In tire manufacturing it's a reactive filler, however in caulks, it's added as a black pigment..no added real functionality.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies