rust from roof

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

rust from roof

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 pm

IMG_1247 copy.jpg
IMG_1247 copy.jpg (420.54 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Hi Guys

All aluminum trailer from Neo..This year I'm starting to see these rust marks..Have used CLR, vinegar, mr magic sponges, goo gone..Hoping I don't have to sand the aluminum..Any product you think would remove this. Sorry the pics are so large

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: rust from roof

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Have you tried gutter black streak cleaner or rv black streak cleaner?

Aluminum oxidizes, but doesn't rust.. forever and ever, Amen.
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 am

yycwrangler, Howdy;

NO sandpaper! Use Scotchbrite pads, over a dozen years of corrosion control for aircraft.

domoarigato wrote:Have you tried gutter black streak cleaner or rv black streak cleaner?

Aluminum oxidizes, but doesn't rust.. forever and ever, Amen.

These can/maybe work, if not then try some Comet or other brand of cleaner. Warning,
once you break the protective coating that is on the Aluminum you will be chasing the
crud forever or until you sell it to someone else. One good way to prevent new corrosion
from forming would be to cover it with something like a paint that would also repel the
Sun's heat. More then a few here have used Henry's Tropical white with excellent results.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-90- ... /206030020

Only a recommendation to consider.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 pm

thanks guys..I'll give both those suggestions a go.Once I clean it I was hoping that I would be able to apply a wax coating for aluminum to prevent it from occurring again..Would that be a pipe dream??

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 am

Rust? From an "all aluminum" structure? Is it actually reddish-brown iron oxide? If so, maybe they used steel-bodied rivets?
Might be something to look into.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 am

I keep looking at that odd-colored stain. It's not the right color for oxidized aluminum.

It is only coming from the sealed edge. I'm wondering if it isn't a reaction between the sealant and the aluminum.

Is that stuff silicone? Most silicone sealants contain acetic acid which eats aluminum.

Are the top fasteners steel? Can this be from a galvanic reaction?

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 am

Hi Tony

Thats an interesting question..I, like you, feel that the leak is coming from the top of the trailer. When I look at the top of the trailer (will get a pic) would I be correct that the rooftop is created with a sheet of aluminum and then the roof and curved edge is covered with sealant..Are you thinking that the rivets that mount aluminum sheet the roof to the frame might be steel which are now rusting.

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 am

Are you thinking that the rivets that mount aluminum sheet the roof to the frame might be steel which are now rusting.

I'll just come out of the closet and say it, I don't know what's going on. I would think if it were the fasteners, the stains would be pointing back at them.

I'm still wondering if it's the sealant that is reacting with the aluminum. Whatever it is, it'll be a re-occurring problem until the underly issue is corrected. Perhaps it's a patina you might have to live with.

Me thinks. But again, I don't know what's going on.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am

They tell me the sealant is called manus bond and the screws the hold the sheet to the roof are steel with zinc plating
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby foxontherun » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:52 am

If you park the trailer under something like the eave of your house could run-off from the roof falling onto trailer be the possible cause of the rust color? Just a thought.
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:30 pm

no I was up looking at the roof today and it seems every place I have a streak there is a screw covered in the waterproofing material of the roof..Regardless, today I took some steel wool and suprisingly the rust did come off..I've followed with some meguirs aluminum polish and the front looks 100% better
Attachments
IMG_1264 copy.jpg
IMG_1264 copy.jpg (311.76 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby Grummy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 pm

I have a 2018 amerilite aluminum trailer. Though "screwless", all the trim was held on with zinc coated screws. Not of any benefit....

I took them all out and replaced with stainless. Not that expensive when you look at the long run.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Grummy, Howdy;

So, you removed the screws with a protective coating that help prevent the formation of Galvanic
corrosion and replaced them with un-coated screws of steel that will with the help of the Aluminum create
the aforementioned Galvanic corrosion.
:thinking:
Hope you still have the Zinc-chromate covered screws and have some zinc-chromate paint to renew the
coating as it most likely came off when you removed them to restore the corrosion protection to your
trailer. Otherwise the integrity of your totally sealed up trailer will be compromised within a year or less.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Found this on the internet:

The general principals discussed here are that aluminum and stainless steel are not actually galvanically compatible because they have significantly different potentials, but the passivity of both can reduce the problem to non-problematical for non-critical applications if the area of the aluminum is greater than the area of the stainless steel (stainless fasteners on aluminum architectural features usually aren't a significant problem, but aluminum pop rivets on stainless steel sheets would be).

Hope that clears things up. :?

In the practical world, my ten year old teardrop has the aluminum sheets and aluminum fastened to the plywood shell using stainless steel screws - see the seam line above the tail lights and license plate bracket/light.

I haven't seen one spec of galvanic corrosion, but granted I don't live in a wet area.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:13 pm

That is one fine looking retro teardrop. Did you build that?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions