Ideas for tow-along kitchen

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Ideas for tow-along kitchen

Postby legojenn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi:

It has been a while since I've written here. My teardrop got crushed by a neighbours tree a while back, and I just have not been camping much. I remember reading a thread by Bob Henry a long time ago on one of this site, but can't seem to remember where. I've got a 40x48 Harbor Freight trailer that isn't getting a lot of use anymore. I would like to do a little more weekend tent camping in my Crosstrek and not give up some of the teardrop creature comforts like a galley and storage. I would love to be able to carry all my stuff in a trailer, such as propane, cooler, water, the tent, folding shelter, chairs, mattress, bedding, pet equipment, food and cooking things. Electricity is not super important since I rarely get electric sites.

My biggest concern is making a trailer that is too heavy that might tip over if I swerve or go on rough roads. Any advice on building a galley trailer other than keep heavy stuff low? Is it even a good idea? Is there a maximum height that can be built? I'd love a teardrop shape if possible.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Re: Ideas for tow-along kitchen

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 pm

legojenn wrote:Hi:

It has been a while since I've written here. My teardrop got crushed by a neighbours tree a while back, and I just have not been camping much. I remember reading a thread by Bob Henry a long time ago on one of this site, but can't seem to remember where. I've got a 40x48 Harbor Freight trailer that isn't getting a lot of use anymore. I would like to do a little more weekend tent camping in my Crosstrek and not give up some of the teardrop creature comforts like a galley and storage. I would love to be able to carry all my stuff in a trailer, such as propane, cooler, water, the tent, folding shelter, chairs, mattress, bedding, pet equipment, food and cooking things. Electricity is not super important since I rarely get electric sites.

My biggest concern is making a trailer that is too heavy that might tip over if I swerve or go on rough roads. Any advice on building a galley trailer other than keep heavy stuff low? Is it even a good idea? Is there a maximum height that can be built? I'd love a teardrop shape if possible.

Have you seen the trailers with Roof Top Tents (RTT)? Google "expo trailer" and look at the image tab. A lot of people are doing that for off road use.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Re: Ideas for tow-along kitchen

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Would something like this be what you are looking for?
https://compactcampingstore.com/collections/diy-manuals
It is an explorer box plans. Perhaps adapted for a tow along kitchen?
:thinking:
https://compactcampingstore.com/collections/diy-manuals/products/construction-manual-diy-compact-camping-trailer
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs