Locktite Foam vs Great Stuff Foam

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Locktite Foam vs Great Stuff Foam

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm

I've been away from the forum for a while and I'm wondering if anybody has tested Loctite's expanding foam against Great Stuff's expanding foam.
I'm wondering if Loctite is as sticky, if it holds up well, easier, or harder, to work with, etc.
Thanks,
Dave
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Re: Locktite Foam vs Great Stuff Foam

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 am

I have not, so I probably shouldn't post, but... If I may..

Why spray foam over Gorilla glue? So far, I'm still in 'dry-fit' stage. Is it better??
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:47 am

The main reasons I can think of for using spray foam is coverage and filler. In another post about using EMT for framing, I'm thinking of using a router for cutting a channel in foam then placing a metal frame in it to give structural support over a long roof line. When I put the EMT into the channel, if I use spray foam, it will glue the pipe its entire length and wrap around the pipe as it expands, filling the entire channel. GG won't do that.

The reason I'm wondering about Loctite Vs Great Stuff is that I know that Great Stuff makes for a really good foam glue. However, if you cut it after it dries, the air bubbles in it are not uniform and are not water tight. Loctite makes very small uniform bubbles and it's water tight, even after cutting it, but I don't know how good it is as a glue.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby CharlieL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:56 am

Testing answers your questions, glue(>?) do a sample test and report the results to the rest of us who also wonder. thanks
Charlie
Someday I will get off my rump and jump into a build, Thanks folks, for the info. and the things y'all do for one another

Charlie
CharlieL
Teardrop Builder

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 am

Postal_Dave wrote:The main reasons I can think of for using spray foam is coverage and filler. In another post about using EMT for framing, I'm thinking of using a router for cutting a channel in foam then placing a metal frame in it to give structural support over a long roof line. When I put the EMT into the channel, if I use spray foam, it will glue the pipe its entire length and wrap around the pipe as it expands, filling the entire channel. GG won't do that.

The reason I'm wondering about Loctite Vs Great Stuff is that I know that Great Stuff makes for a really good foam glue. However, if you cut it after it dries, the air bubbles in it are not uniform and are not water tight. Loctite makes very small uniform bubbles and it's water tight, even after cutting it, but I don't know how good it is as a glue.

That approach of filling the slot with foam seems like the best one. It spreads the forces out over the entire available area of both the tube and the foam, and fills all the voids so nothing vibrates or rattles.

I can' offer any help with the differences between the brands. I looked for technical data sheets and only found one for Loctite. DuPont makes GreatStuff and I couldn't find their data sheet. I honestly doubt there is any important difference in your application between one polyurethane foam and another.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Postal_Dave » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 am

The problem with side by side testing is... I'm cheap. :D
I know that those products are one use only cans. So I hate to use $10 worth of product for testing. Of course, I'd hate to not test it and use the wrong product.
I guess I'm going to have to take one for the team on this. I'll report back soon. :cry:

I'm going to have to come up with a couple of tests while I'm at it, just to make this worth doing. :thinking:
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:58 am

Dave , be consoled that we’ll appreciate your testing for a long time !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Tests for Loctite Foam vs Great Stuff Foam

I have a crappy camera phone. Click on the pictures for a better view of tests and results.

I bought a can of Great Stuff Blue for Windows and a can of Loctite Multipurpose Spray Foam. I did not buy the Red can of Great Stuff. I believe the adhesiveness of both the red and the blue to be the same, but I like how the blue expands with less force.

Because of how much these cans cost, I came up with as many different tests that I could think of for these spray foams. Who knows what information some builder might need in the future.

While at Lowe's, I found that Dap also had a spray foam available, but since that wasn't in the original question, I didn't buy it. Also, it was expensive.
** While at Lowes, I could not find Loctite Window Spray Foam. Lowes dot com says that it is usually $7.67 but is on sale for $2.99. Figures :x

Test 1) Price from Lowes:
Great Stuff Red can. $3.78
Great Stuff Blue can. $4.48
Loctite foam Multipurpose. $7.98

Winner: Great Stuff

Test 2) Glue Test on EMT:
Since this experiment is for the idea of using EMT as a frame for a foamie, I took two pieces of 1 inch thick foam and Gorilla Glued them together.
After the glue dried, I cut six, 8 inch long by1 inch wide channels in the top piece of foam to simulate where the conduit would lay. I filled the three left channels with Great Stuff Blue and the three right channels with Loctite Multipurpose.
159036 159039
I used 2 foot long pieces of 1/2 inch EMT and placed them in the spray foam. I did not weigh them down because I wanted to see if the foam would push the EMT out of the channel.

Results:
1) Nether spray foam pushed the EMT out of the channel. Both wrapped around the EMT nicely.
2) The next day I tried the pull the EMT out of the channel. I started with the Loctite. On my first pull, I thought I was going to hurt myself trying to get it out of the channel. It didn't budge. I next went to the Great Stuff. I was able to get the EMT out of the channel on the first pull. It was difficult, but it did pull out of the channel.
I then tried to pull up the Loctite again. It took a total of 3 tries to pull the EMT out of the Loctite channel and it took one side of the channel with it. Remember, that side was glued down with Gorilla Glue.
Winner: Loctite

Test 3) Smearing Test:
When using Spray Foam as a glue, I like to spray it, then smear it with a piece of scrap wood or foam to get the bubbles out of it and use it just as a glue. This is why I like the Blue can over the Red. Once smeared, the Blue Great Stuff tends to rise less.
I tried the smear test on both the Loctite and the Great Stuff Blue here. I sprayed a little Great Stuff and Loctite them smeared them with a piece of scrap foam.
159046 159045

Results: The Great Stuff smeared and spread better then the Loctite. The Loctite was like smearing bubble gum where the Great Stuff was like smearing peanut butter. After they dried, the Loctite raised higher than the Great Stuff Blue.
159041 159038
Winner Great Stuff Blue.

Test 4) Smear Gluing Test.
I smeared some Great Stuff on a small foam block and placed another block on top of it. I did the same with the Loctite.

Results: I looked at how much the blocks separated from each other. They were both about the same. Then I tried to pull the block apart. The Loctite was only slightly harder to pull apart this time, but it was harder.

Winner Loctite.

Test 5) Re-usability Test:
The worst thing about Spray Foam is trying to use a can a second time. I tried to spray the can upside down, like spray paint, to see if it would quit spraying. Nope, I made a huge pile of foam on the wax paper I placed on the floor.
It reminded me of a cow patty.

****Legal Disclaimer** DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
( THE NEXT THING I DID WAS STUPID AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! I ONLY MENTION IT BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY WAY I'VE FOUND THAT WORKS FOR ME.) **
:?
While the foam was still wet, I took the straws off the cans and blew them out with an air compressor and I wiped off the ends. I then placed a wire inside the internal nozzle of the can. There is a diaphragm inside the nozzle, if this is punctured, bad things, injuries, and a huge mess can happen. (THAT IS WHY I WOULD NEVER TELL ANYBODY TO DO THIS) I placed a piece of wire with a very blunt end inside the nozzle so that when the foam inside it dried, I could take out the wire and there would be a path for more foam to escape through. I DID NOT PUSH IT IN OR SHOVE IT IN. I PLACED IT IN VERY GENTLY!
NEVER TRY THIS WITH A CAN THAT HAS DRIED FOAM INSIDE IT!
If you try this and something bad happens, don't blame me. I warned you. :worship:

Results: Both cans worked the next day. The Great Stuff worked better though. The Loctite didn't flow as well the next day.

Winner: Great Stuff.

Test 6) Expansion Glue Test:
On day two of the tests, I took the blocks that I glued together from the day before and glued the other side of them. This time I covered a block with spray foam and then placed the other block on top of it without smearing the foam first.
Result:
The next morning, they both expanded about the same amount. Then I tried to pull them apart. I started with the Loctite. I couldn't get it apart on the first try. I then tried the Great Stuff, I was able to pull it apart. I tried again with the Loctite. It took more force but I was able to break off half of the foam. The other half wouldn't budge.

Test 6) Cut Test:
After the foam in the channels had dried, I cut off a layer of both of them.
Results:
The Loctite has smaller bubbles that were more uniform where the Great Stuff bubbles were inconsistent with each other and some were as big around as a pencil.

Test 7) Paint-ability:
I put the EMT back into the channels and then cut off the excess foam. I then painted Glidden Gripper on both cut and uncut foam for both sprays.
Results:
On uncut foam, there were no reactions and the paint dried well. On cut foam, there were no reactions but the foam soaked in and did not dry in the 12 hours I let it sit. It was like painting with a foam brush and then touching the foam brush the next day. It will take a long time for that paint to dry.

Winner: None

My personal summary:
I'd say that Loctite Multipurpose was the winner, as far as being a better foam adhesive. It worked better for a framing adhesive with EMT and for that application, I'd buy it. However, for most other applications, Great Stuff or Gorilla Glue would be a better choice because of price and usability.

Remember, half the fun of building with foam is in the experiments. 8)
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Update on the tests.
It's been 24 hours since I painted the cut foam in the experiment. The paint was still wet and the cut foam became mushy and lost some of it's adhesiveness. I could peal the Loctite foam off of the EMT without a problem. The Great Stuff didn't do as bad and was still holding onto the EMT fairly well.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:56 am

Dave, THANKS for the testing !!! :thumbsup: :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:24 pm

For the foam under Glass in a trailtop frame. Great stuff on a warm day holds the best . Can take more twisting . over locktie. This from the balloon builds we done using foam sheets back filling with can foam
holes.jpg
holes.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am

Postal_Dave wrote:Tests for Loctite Foam vs Great Stuff Foam...I bought a can of Great Stuff Blue for Windows and a can of Loctite Multipurpose Spray Foam. ..., I came up with as many different tests that I could think of for these spray foams. Who knows what information some builder might need in the future...

Thank you so much Dave for performing those tests and publishing the results. Careful real world testing like this is very valuable.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Postal_Dave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am

You're welcome. Experiments are half the fun with foamies.
I do encourage everyone to do their own testing before using any techniques from this forum on their own build. This can give you practical experience with the material and first hand knowledge of the results you can expect. And, if your results differ from the person that posted a technique, you have time to figure out why before you mess up your own build. Who knows, you might find a better way of doing somethings.
Now I'm wondering how well Gorilla Glue will hold EMT to foam. :thinking:
Time for another test.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

Postal_Dave wrote:...Now I'm wondering how well Gorilla Glue will hold EMT to foam. :thinking:
Time for another test.

Gorilla glue and the foam are the same basic chemistry. Both are polyurethane.
Polyurethane wants to foam naturally. For the cans of sealing foam products they formulate to encourage the foaming so it's maximized.
For polyurethane adhesive they formulate to minimize the foaming and expansion.

I've worked in shops where polyurethane foam was our main packing material.
The shipping guys put the poly into a bag, put the bag in the box, tape the box closed, and it would expand around the parts making a perfect fitting cushion.

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:03 pm

If using EMT studding use can foam as the glue to hold it to d skins. Any expanding rates that are different wont bleed through
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Next

Return to Foamies