Galley hinge scrap

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley hinge scrap

Postby rmcelroy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:43 am

Does anyone happen to have any scrap galley hinge laying around they would be willing to sell?

Charging ahead with my project-I took mine out of the box installed it and promptly cut it off flush on both sides. I now understand I should have left an overhang to help keep water out (duh).

If I can't patch in some galley hinge, I would appreciate seeing some other solutions to this problem.

Thanks all
Mc
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 am

Mc, if you take about a 2" long piece of 1/2" angle and mount it on the body, running straight up and down at the hinge it will make an acceptable divertor...Look in TomS's build journal for some pretty good pics of how he did just that.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 pm

Mc, how much do you need? I have an extra 4' section lying around. PM me if you are interested,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:48 pm

Mc,

This is what MJ was talking about:

I also used JB Weld to seal it to the galley hinge.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby rmcelroy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 pm

Mj, I had seen TomS page sometime in the past year I've been surfing here, but couldn't remember where it was or exactly what they looked like-Thanks

Thanks Amy-now that I've given it more thought even if I graft more hinge on I'll still have a seam at the rotating part of the hinge (drip drip drip). I'll let you know.

ToyP is there weather stripping behind the angle where the galley trim meets it? Or is it the angle of the instalation that keeps the water out?

I'm having a tough time here believing I can get this right-this seems to be a very critical step, one thats been back there hiding in my mind, but now its time to solve it.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:51 pm

The picture does not look like it, but the diverter piece should be all the way to the top of the hinge. you could put weatherstripping behind it, I guess, but I just used JBWeld to seal it to the hinge. There is no weatherstripping between the diverter and the AL angle that is on the hatch. That AL has weatherstripping under it - between it and the sidewall. It seems to keep the water out. The diverter only has to protrude about 1/8" to be effective.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 pm

I did order the extra length but 5X5 birch is actually 5ft 1/8in (didn't know that when I ordered), add to that the thickness of the aluminum and the trim. My galley hinge hangs over but not by much. So far it has been OK.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mike Spicer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:51 pm

Here is another rain diverter. I got the pic from this site. Sorry but I don't remember who it belongs to. But I saved it in case I needed to build one.

Mike
Home Built 4x10
Mike Spicer
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:12 am

A nice piece of fire hose ??? :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rmcelroy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks guys, Thats a nice pic Mike glad you saved it. I'll be putzing around with angle this weekend I guess. Now just have to figure out where to order fire hose :)

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Someone tell me about the fire hose. Are you using it to cover the hinge?
That may be a quick way for me to savemoney as I deal with fire departments everyday. Shame of itis I sell firehose but can't afford to buy new.
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

yup thats what gpw did i took this pic a few weeks ago.he used a regular paino hinge and covered it with the hose.and i can tell u it works fine cuz when i was visiting him it poured cats and dogs for a good hour and no leaks. Image
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:53 pm

rmcelroy wrote:Mj, I had seen TomS page sometime in the past year I've been surfing here, but couldn't remember where it was or exactly what they looked like-Thanks

Here's the diverter I made. I had some hinge overhang on each side and sealed it with JB Weld

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques