Utility tags to RV tags

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Utility tags to RV tags

Postby Nic » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 am

I got my HF trailer used and its tagged as a utility trailer. Will i need to do anything special to put it in my name now that i built a camper on it or do i just show up with money? Should i need my trailer at the DMV when i go for any reason? And what if i want to tag it as a travel trailer? i have all the paper work to the trailer. They show the guy got the perm cali tags 6 months ago. I hope LA wont be a pain in the butt about it. Any help or ideas would be awsome. Thanks. :thinking:
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby dacrazyrn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 am

Why not just get the title and registration into your name...and that is it. Already tagged.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby Ptomaine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:19 pm

before I registered my HF trailer I called the (Cali) DMV and asked if there was different registration if I built a teardrop. I was told that without an electrical, water and waste systems it was simply a trailer.
Hopefully I should be giving the trailer a road test in a couple of weeks. Gonna drive to Barstow to have them check the VIN number so I can get the actual plates. The temp tag is only good til the end of the month.
As you grow up and leave the playground where you kissed your prince and found your frog.
Remember the Jester that showed you tears The script for tears.
Ptomaine
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:07 am

Don't offer any information that is not needed. Just go get the reg changed into your name. Just take paper work. Don't take the trailer. They will really stick it to you if you want to re-identify it as a travel trailer and you will also have to take it to the DMV for inspection. So if you already have a PTI plate on it, just get the registration changed into your name and pay the fees. Tell them what it is now and your only going to cause yourself more headaches. Several teardrops even here in Ca. are regestered as utility trailers (some as spcn). And besides if it's not 15' or better you won't be able to get it reg. as a travel trailer anyways. And if you tell them what you have done to it they are just going to charge you more money for the improvements.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

thanks guys

Postby Nic » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:22 am

Sweet sounds like im just going to put it in my name and call it done. I am not putting any running wter or power other than those tap lites for the cabin. Thanks guys.
Nic
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 am

Nic,

Same thing as mentioned above but for Ohio too................I bought a home made utility trailer that I am building on. My mechanic sold it to me and just gave me a bill of sales.

Went to DMV. I looked over the list of options and for RV it would include water and toilet. Came out with regular trailer plates. Plus if I even got questioned about it my back wall can be removed and I can use it to haul things.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fornesto » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 am

Gage wrote:Don't offer any information that is not needed. Just go get the reg changed into your name. Just take paper work. Don't take the trailer. They will really stick it to you if you want to re-identify it as a travel trailer and you will also have to take it to the DMV for inspection. So if you already have a PTI plate on it, just get the registration changed into your name and pay the fees. Tell them what it is now and your only going to cause yourself more headaches. Several teardrops even here in Ca. are regestered as utility trailers (some as spcn). And besides if it's not 15' or better you won't be able to get it reg. as a travel trailer anyways. And if you tell them what you have done to it they are just going to charge you more money for the improvements.

Have a good day.

:thinking:

I wholeheartedly agree. Sssshhhh!!!!! Get the plates before you start the build.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Nic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:10 am

Well my campe ris built, but i did not bolt it to the trailer yet. I dont plan on bolting it down till after its in my name. I did that just in case i needed to bring the trailer to the DMV without being a camper. Im thinking it should be fine. I got a new perm trailer tag 6 months ago. Just need my name on it. :thumbsup:
Nic
500 Club

Return to General Discussion