Truck camper build.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck camper build.

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:53 am

dbhosttexas wrote:
ghcoe wrote:polyisocyanurate foam is not structural. It basically crumbles if put under any kind of stress.
EPS (beaded) foam can be used, but needs to be thicker than XPS to get the same results.
XPS is getting into the lower end of structural foam.
Most foamies are built with XPS foam some with EPS. Formular 250 (pink XPS) has a compression strength of 25lbs per square inch. 25lbs on polyisocyanurate foam will turn it to dust. :thumbdown:

Very good to know!

Now here's the next question does anyone know of any 3-D models in sketch up for an F156 and a 1/2 foot bed? I see lots of them with the 5.5' bed but everything's in the wrong place. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel on those 3-D renderings

Push comes to shove, ungroup it and stretch/collapse the bed.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:
ghcoe wrote:polyisocyanurate foam is not structural. It basically crumbles if put under any kind of stress.
EPS (beaded) foam can be used, but needs to be thicker than XPS to get the same results.
XPS is getting into the lower end of structural foam.
Most foamies are built with XPS foam some with EPS. Formular 250 (pink XPS) has a compression strength of 25lbs per square inch. 25lbs on polyisocyanurate foam will turn it to dust. :thumbdown:

Very good to know!

Now here's the next question does anyone know of any 3-D models in sketch up for an F156 and a 1/2 foot bed? I see lots of them with the 5.5' bed but everything's in the wrong place. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel on those 3-D renderings

Push comes to shove, ungroup it and stretch/collapse the bed.

I think I am going to just go with "space holder" on the truck bed / cab layout. I don't really care what it looks like per se against a model of the truck, but rather how to lay it out to work with the truck. I could make a model of the critical dimensions, such as where, and how large the wheel wells are etc...

I know this sounds really dumb, but I went out this morning, laid the toilet in the bed of the truck and made sure I had headroom. No deal at the front of the bed. The 122 is just too short at the front, and the bed is going to be at a minimum 7" higher than the toilet seat.

My plan isn't for all built ins. But rather compartmentalied storage for items to use in, and out of the truck. 110V power for my CPAP, and AC, venitlation so I can use my heater in there if need be.

I am considering building the cap sort of "funny" to allow use of the tailgate as extra room to get up, change clothes etc...

I have worked several pencil sketches, and am going bust on the folding bed / couch idea. I'd amost be better off doing a 2/3 - 1/3 rip split fold so that I basically make the bed literally a couch length wise down one side of the bed of the truck... The problem is that if I fold it up and slide it as designed, the back is 12" thick, and each segment is 26" long so I would end up being 38" overall from the back fold to the end of the bed / couch... Doable, but really bulky...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Philip » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 am

Fitting a bed is going to be the hard part. What size bed are you needing. King/ queen/ single ???

How tall are you??
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Philip wrote:Fitting a bed is going to be the hard part. What size bed are you needing. King/ queen/ single ???

How tall are you??

An RV short queen fits over the wheel humps.

I am 6' tall.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Philip » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 am

I just ran the size on that mattress. A short queen is 60" by 74" from what I could find. The 74" is the same length as a home style mattress. Any full size mattress is going to take a large amount of space. For a full size mattress your going to need a full platform. A mattress doesn't fold up. I went threw this same issue on my current build of a sprinter van. Use a regular mattress or go to something more space saving. In my case we are using a air mattress with a folding bed frame like a murphy bed.

Now back to your build. If you use a full mattress with a platform. How are you going to address storage under the bed? For a length wise mounted bed a pull out track mounted storage system is about all I see there. To keep from wasting a lot of space under the bed and still keep items where you can get to them. The areas in front of the wheel wells could be for items you don't need access to often. Battery/ water tanks and so on.

If you still want to use the Lear cap you have. I would build a pedestal and raise the cap the amount you need. That could be built out of wood or metal. That would also give you a place to mount that A/C unit on a set of drawer slides and have a door mounted to close the A/C opening off during transit.

Now that cap is a flat front with a front window. Depending on how high you would raise it. I would take the front glass out and glass it closed. Then profile a new front piece for better window resistence or more storage like RJ is doing..

Sorry my drawing is horrible or I would draw out my thoughts. I don't know how to use a 3D modeling program.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Philip wrote: If you still want to use the Lear cap you have. I would build a pedestal and raise the cap the amount you need. That could be built out of wood or metal.

That thought I also had, but I sold the side boxes years back when I bought my Leer cap. They would have worked out nicely for my sleeper cap! If you cap has a excess window (which mine does not) that an excellent thought Phillip!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:47 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
Philip wrote: If you still want to use the Lear cap you have. I would build a pedestal and raise the cap the amount you need. That could be built out of wood or metal.

That thought I also had, but I sold the side boxes years back when I bought my Leer cap. They would have worked out nicely for my sleeper cap! If you cap has a excess window (which mine does not) that an excellent thought Phillip!

Going by the pic's I found on his lear cap. It does have a front window in it.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:46 am

Philip wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:

Going by the pic's I found on his lear cap. It does have a front window in it.

Yes it does.

The Leer isn't physially on the truck yet. However I can of course make a riser to get the added height I want, yes, but that would honestly be bug ugly. There is a guy that has done it with a Dodge and bleh... No thanks.

On the bed issue. The truck bed is inside length 79", inside box width at the bedrails, 60.75" A queen roller bed frame will fit, an RV short queen will fit length and width wise.

Several manufacturers make Tri Fold mattrresses, Sizes are funny on them though. Width is right, standard queen is 80", Short queen is 75", these things tend to run at 78". Go figure. I know with enough digging I can source up a 75" short queen mattress, Not worried about not being able to source up a mattress, and yes, it will take up most floor space when deployed.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:21 pm

[/quote]

Yes it does.

The Leer isn't physially on the truck yet. However I can of course make a riser to get the added height I want, yes, but that would honestly be bug ugly

Doesn't have to be if designed right and paint matched.

There is a guy that has done it with a Dodge and bleh... No thanks.

Well, he screwed up, doesn't mean you will!

On the bed issue. The truck bed is inside length 79", inside box width at the bedrails, 60.75" A queen roller bed frame will fit, an RV short queen will fit length and width wise.

Thought you where running with a F150? Inside over the wheel wells should be 65". Plenty of width!

Several manufacturers make Tri Fold mattrresses, Sizes are funny on them though. Width is right, standard queen is 80", Short queen is 75", these things tend to run at 78". Go figure. I know with enough digging I can source up a 75" short queen mattress, Not worried about not being able to source up a mattress, and yes, it will take up most floor space when deployed.[/quote]

Yes, the bed will take up all available space. My plus is the wife is just that amount shorter to allow her a pee toilet (which is a must for her).
I say skip sourcing a mattress and buy memory foam and make your own to size. My best deal was a full size queen and pealed off the 'protection', cut it to size and stitched up a new cover for each. Okay the mattress police may knock on my door.. Yet I have what I want and now a removable cover that can be washed.

You wish to slice them up again to make a sofa of sorts? Go for it! It's all about what you can create!

As is the lift for the cap! What can you do to make it pretty and more functional? My mind sees outside storage and a kitchen! What does yours see?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am

RJ Howell wrote:

Yes it does.

The Leer isn't physially on the truck yet. However I can of course make a riser to get the added height I want, yes, but that would honestly be bug ugly

Doesn't have to be if designed right and paint matched.

There is a guy that has done it with a Dodge and bleh... No thanks.

Well, he screwed up, doesn't mean you will!

Thought you where running with a F150? Inside over the wheel wells should be 65". Plenty of width!

Several manufacturers make Tri Fold mattrresses, Sizes are funny on them though. Width is right, standard queen is 80", Short queen is 75", these things tend to run at 78". Go figure. I know with enough digging I can source up a 75" short queen mattress, Not worried about not being able to source up a mattress, and yes, it will take up most floor space when deployed.[/quote]

Yes, the bed will take up all available space. My plus is the wife is just that amount shorter to allow her a pee toilet (which is a must for her).
I say skip sourcing a mattress and buy memory foam and make your own to size. My best deal was a full size queen and pealed off the 'protection', cut it to size and stitched up a new cover for each. Okay the mattress police may knock on my door.. Yet I have what I want and now a removable cover that can be washed.

You wish to slice them up again to make a sofa of sorts? Go for it! It's all about what you can create!

As is the lift for the cap! What can you do to make it pretty and more functional? My mind sees outside storage and a kitchen! What does yours see?
[/quote]

I need to take the tape measure to the truck again, I could swear it was just over 60" wide. You know what they say though. I cut it three times and that board is still too short!

Seriously though, I am not sure how to make the Leer look right. If I get some miracle idea, I will try it...

I like the idea of modding a regular queen memory foam mattress. Will need to get a custom cover sewn for it. Neither my wife nor I have any skill in that area... My Dad did, sure do wish he was still here to help out with this project.

The issue is to keep the "footprint" identical enough to the bed rails on any extender for the Leer, it would basically end up being a box, attached to a curved thingy. Sure I could PTM it, but I just don't see an aesthetically pleasing way to do this...The highest inside point of the Leer is 32" from the bed rails giving me a total of 53.5" total interior height. Not bad, not standing room either... I can add 24" underneath the cap but again, bug ugly unless I pull off a miracle. Easier, more aesthetically pleasing is to start from scratch.

I have the Sketchup model loaded, and at least the tailgate down, and bed inside length set correctly, I am going to start working the design likely today. Not going to try to taper it like a conventional topper, but rather go straight up like an overcab camper. I am planning on sacrificing looks in the area of the extension over the tailgate. I plan on using it with tailgate down to increase interior volume and get a full 8+ feet floor length.

I am considering using PMF over XPS, attached to a wooden framing of 3/4" ply and 2x2 (ripped 2x4) lumber. Joinery of the wood will be no metal, Hardwood dowels and glue most likely.

The biggest design issue I have facing me I think is how to curve the fromt of the cabover and roof, and designing the door and AC supports...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:39 am

dbhosttexas wrote:
The biggest design issue I have facing me I think is how to curve the fromt of the cabover and roof, and designing the door and AC supports...

For the curve, search 'kerf' on the site. Two interesting threads will come up.

For the door, read through the link of his build. Loads of good ideas there! Ghcoe sent it to me over my questions on skinning.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=405
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm

So as a bit of inspiration for my design / build, I am giving the truckc amper build by @seanc a good look for ideas. If I co wider than the actual truck bed, I could utilize a futon of sorts that would allow for only one thickness of the mattress for the seat bottom, and one for the seat back when folded to the couch configuration, and allow a greater interior volume. I am designing it in pieces so that it can come off the truck when I need just the truck, and stow out of the way. I will use the truck bed floor as the floor of the camper and utilize a "Bed Rug" bedliner, that will provide some additional comfort, and insulation.

I am still hammering out details in my mind, solid top or pop top mostly, but floor layout is coming to a solid idea here quickly Entire bed of the truck, including the tailgate down, enclosed, toilet on the tailgate on the drivers side , AC overhead of that, door on the passenger side. A flip down bench can provide a kitchen area, and of course fresh water storage under the bed.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

Laying out the dimensions of the bed in Sketchup today. The F150 model had too many odd angles that don't match the real truck.

After reviewing @seanc truck camper build, I have LOTS of ideas now. I found a TT that I can strip for parts, windows, converter, etc...

Some items that I am debating.

#1. Solar. How expensive, how heavy, how effective? The reason for this build is off road, off grid and potentially boondocking / lotdocking. Generator use should be minimized.
#2. Solar can't really run an AC. I currently have a Harbor Freight Tailgator generator (loud) and am considering upgrading to a Westinghouse iGen2500, more power, MUCH quieter, more fuel efficient, and close to, some say superior to Honda reliability.
#3. How can I enclose the awnings and stake them down for foul weather?
#4. PMF, just how strong is it really? Can I build a camper my wife and I can use for say the next 10 years, or is this something that will fall apart after 2 years of use on and off road?

Ideas getting more and more solidified.
#1. Definately going with a transverse mount futon style bed at the front side of the camper. Need to figure out how to do it.
#2. Definately going with a 5K BTU window unit AC. This is a VERY small space, the foam and Bed Rug serve to provide crazy good insulation, and the planned Tropicool on the roof give me reason to believe there is no reason to go with anything bigger that uses more electricity. There are plenty of 5K BTU models out there that my little HF generator can run, let alone the planned Westinghouse.
#3. Kitchen is planned to be primarily outdoors, HOWEVER, I want a flip down counter that I can use to prep and cook on inside the camper should inclement weather force us to stay inside.
#4. The design will feature the truck tailgate down and being used as more floor space. The AC is to be mounted to the back wall, and on the left above the port o potty.
#5. The port o potty spot, will double in a manner, as an indoor shower by being enclosed with a shower curtain, and using one of the storage totes as a gray water capture. It is also possible I may use a small diameter dog wash pool with a drain fitting and a hose run between the tailgate and truck bed to a flexible water carrier as a gray tank. Shower will be via Zodi battery shower, heated water will be on the stove and a home made heat exchanger, Get water hot enough to shower nicely, turn stove off, take shower, dry self and bathroom off...

I can figure out the box of the camper shell itself, I think my biggest engineering challenge is going to be the futon frame. How do I make a truck camper futon frame that stays level with the mattress base, and does not go backwards toward the wall when opening to a bed position?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 am

Well, some updates, and work for me at the computer today.

Over the weekend, I discussed the plans with my wife. Let me lay out the scenario.

Currently, we are tent campers, in our 50s, overweight, and at least with me, some medical problems that are related to the weight (a car wreck injduries and the associated meds sped up weight gain, and have made losing the weight difficult). There are places we don't camp that we want to with the tents due to climate in those locations. Specifically Texas beaches. After sundown, there is a constant Gulf breeze, beautiful for cooling off, horrible because it blows sand throught he no see um netting of the tent. I have to use more fabric, and office binder clips to close off the netting, which makes the inside of the tent hot, and humid, this gets alleviated via a small window AC unit jammed into the back door of the tent and run off a cheap generator. We have succesfully camped in the bed of the truck using PVC pipe and a tarp as a makeshift tent. That is MUCH better, but still not entirely what we want / need.

My wife dreams of a HUGE fifth wheel. Our F150 4x4, which is long ago paid for can't handle a huge trailer, nor can the places we want to go. After our weekend trips to one of the beach sites we like to go, and her and I helping a couple that was dumb enough to drag a 40' fifth wheel onto the beach get unstuck, she finally agrees, not a good plan for that environment...

Not every time, but a few of the times we have been camping, we were driven into the truck by sudden overnight severe storms.

I want to minimize setup / teardown time, improve the environmental protection our shelter provides us, and create a singular place for us to retreat to in comfort should the weather turn foul on us.

It has been agreed by my wife, that we are going to do a truck camper, and that with our combined weight, we are NOT going to do a cab over sleeper. I CAN design one sturdy enough, but that would add a considerable amount of weight, and complexity to the topper as it would require steel framing. The cantilever of a cab over sleeper is a bit of tricky engineering you know.

So with that in mind, and trying to maximize the available floor space, we are going with a Futon type folding bed transverse along the truck bed and the width of the camper set to accomodate that.

After dropping the tailgate and measuring from front of the cab to the top lip of the tailgate, I have ~102" floor length to deal with, so just about 8.5 feet.

I am still working on how to design the futon, really the hinge and back support are where I am iffy. Not impossible, just not immediately obvious. We already have a Memory Foam futon in queen that was given to us that the mattress will be used.

So with the futon in bed position, that takes up 5' of the truck bed, meaning we have 3.5' used. The port o potty gets a dedicated spot, and a flip down table for cooking should the need arise inside.

There will be an overcab, but its purpose is solely for light stuff storage such as clothing and bedding, and of course aerodynamics.

I apologize for not remembering the users name, but the guy with white tacoma that built his using the truck bed floor as the inside floor of the camper provided a LOT of inspiration for this design approach. Lower weight, MUCH less complex to build.

I still need to address the gap between the tailgate and truck bed, and I am thinking about simply jamming a hunk of foam pipe insulation in that gap on the road, and some sort of heavy duty, like a pet proof window screening over the gap while camping for fresh air intake. It would certainly help with the Coleman heater.

Our carry over camping gear is very old school, for good reason. I can't state strongly enough how opposed I am to the disposable 1lb propane cylinders. I am not the tree hugger type, but I also am not the let's strip mine the planet type. The fact that these cylinders when ostensibly empty still contain enough fuel to have enough explosive force to take out a machine gun nest, and they are NOT recycleable, I have asked our recycling folks and they are considered hazardous waste, yay fun. So I will not be using 1lb cylinders.

My stove(s) are both Coleman, a 424 Dual Fuel, and a 425 white gas 2 burner stoves. The 425 is a secondary for backup, and use when doing say coffee, in drip pot, biscuits in the folding oven, and sausage gravy and eggs on a couple of skillets.

AC will be via an Arctic King 5K BTU window unit AC mounted in the back wall over the location of the toilet. A 27 gallon tote will be slid into place along with a ceiling mounted shower curtain to enable indoor showering should the need arise.

I need to figure out a safe place for it, but heat will be provided on the few / rare occasions needed, by a Coleman 518B catalytic white gas heater.

Lighting in the camper will be 100% LED. On 12V, Looking at options there. Outdoor lighting is 2 Coleman dual fuel lanterns.

Water system / capacities are as follows.

Fresh 4 @ Reliance 7 gallon Aqua Tainers. https://amzn.to/2Lio6oy. I am working on a plan to have a common pickup for these so I can pump from all 4 without moving the pickup.
Toilet fresh tank holds 3.2 gal I believe. Specs not listed, but I seem to recall that is about what I was able to put into the tank when I tested. Mine is the Jaxpety 5 gallon flushing portable toilet. https://amzn.to/2ZODdhO
Gray 2 @ Reliance 5 gallon Fold A Carrier water carriers. https://amzn.to/2Li2lW1.
"Sink" is a pair of Sterilite 12QT dish pans from Walmart. I will give the Amazon link, but recommend buying at Walmart as they are, or at least were under $1.00 at Walmart. https://amzn.to/2LsvvAD
Shower currently is via a Zodi shower pump and shower head, heat is provided via a home made stove top heat exchanger. Depending on the starting temp of the water, and the flame level of the stove, unlike the actual Zodi shower, there is no need to recirculate the water to get it to temp. This goes back to the figuring out how to be able to draw from all 4 AquaTainers at once. A submersible pump like the Zodi isn't really going to cut it long term. The tote captures gray water, which gets poured into the gray tanks via a funnel once the shower is done..

I need to figure out storage, particularly for the kitchen stuff as it tends to be the heaviest as I am using cast iron cookware. All of the heavy stuff except for the toilet, are planned to be stored on the truck bed floor, in front of the axle. Water jugs, cookware etc... Light weight stuff, bedding, clothes, tarps etc... in the overcab. Need to figure out food storage, for now it is a 50 qt Coleman Extreme cooler that has been spray foam lid filled and is pending epoxying the holes. This stuff willl likely need its own space away from the sleeping area should we decide to venture into bear country...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 am

If my Sleeper Cap was my primary camper, I'd be thinking of some sort of Gull Wing sides to be able to expand once located. Whether a counter area or sleeping platform, it would open up the small area you have available.

Now that you're fairly set on an idea.. Let me throw you a twist.. LOL

You're thinking through this well!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies