Pop-up to vintage standy (real first camp) 6-4-20

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (skins installed 8-25-19)

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Very nice............. :applause: :thumbsup: :D
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (skins installed 8-25-19)

Postby Nodrog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Hey! That turned out perfect! Looks like a professional built trailer! Will be super slick with trim, etc.....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (windows/corner tape 9-20-19)

Postby les45 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Getting down to my final punch list. Installed windows and Eternabond taped all joints this week.
The windows are simple plastic frames that I used on my previous project. They are actually RV door window frames slightly modified. They sandwich a sheet of clear acrylic to form a fixed window (ventilation will be through the door and ducts on each corner). The acrylic is a special art framing material that is tougher than regular plexiglass and can be cleaned with Windex. The wall thickness was such that the two frames bear tightly on the plexiglass when screwed in from each side. The outside will be caulked when I do the rest of the exterior caulking.
I made a mistake and ordered 3" Eternabond tape thinking I would use it to seal the EPDM roof edges then decided not to. I learned from an RV video that Eternabond tape is good for sealing corners where the metal panels come together. I decided to go that route instead of using butyl tape under the metal corner trim. I marked the roll of tape with one inch lines and cut it with a box cutter and simply rolled it out to install. It has a plastic backing so that made the installation much easier. All wall corners and the joint between the top skin panel and the EPDM roof all got the 1" Eternabond tape. The metal corner trim will then cover the tape.

The holes for the outside panel had to be drilled in order to start the screws through the metal skins. The outside frames will be caulked.

General view of the right side. There are two windows on each side. They are all fixed and ventilation comes through the door and duct ports on each corner.

The interior frame simply screws into the wall and is not caulked.

The 1" strips of Eternabond tape wrap around the corners where the skin panels come together. This stuff sticks really well and will replace the need for butyl tape under the metal corner trim. The short side covers the staples and the long side will be under the part of the trim that receives the fasteners (stainless screws).

View of the right front corner.

View at the door frame. This area will get a trim piece to transition from the corrugated skins to the door frame. I'm still thinking about that one.

I simply cut 1" strips from the 3" roll of Eternabond with a box cutter, cutting deeper as I unrolled the strips for installation. This worked quite well.

Remaining inside work includes installing and caulking the metal corner trim and vinyl inserts and installing the running lights. When that is done I will have to roll the trailer out of the garage on the dollies in order to install the tires and axle. I will then have to install the small strip of skin at the bottom on each side and the aluminum tread plate on the bottom angle on each end. I will also have to bridge over the EPDM roof to install the Fantastic Fan. Hope to be camping by mid-October.
les45
500 Club

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (trim and more 10-1-19)

Postby les45 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Slowly getting more done on my final trim list. Installed corner trim and finished the last little strip of sheet metal at the bottom of both sides. The corner trim will receive the black vinyl inserts later. It went on fairly easy including the bending around the 7" radius curve on the top front area. The bottom sheet metal was only 4" wide but it had to wrap around the plywood deck at the bottom. The bend could only be about 1/2" wide as that was all the wood that was exposed outside the metal frame. My original plan was to wait until I got it back up on the axle so I would have room to use the stapler (not enough room inside the garage). However, I decided to use just enough stainless screws to hold the metal in place and add the staples later. The only way I could make the 90 degree bend in that short a length was to hammer it down against the square edge of my portable work bench. It only took two passes to get the bend started and then pound it flat and straight. The 1/2" width at the bottom is a little wrinkly but it's not visible from above and the staples will probably smooth out that area. I was amazed at how straight the metal was at the edge line at the bottom.

The edge trim was easy to bend around the front top corner with no deformation in the side leg.

The 4" bottom strip of skin has a nice straight bottom edge even though it was beaten square with a hammer.

Still have to trim out the door, caulk all the trim and windows, and finish installing the running lights and I'll be ready to pull it out of the garage and put the axle and wheels back on. At that point all I have to do is install the Fantastic Fan and I'll be ready to go camping. Stay tuned.
les45
500 Club

Postby Tyrtill » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 am

Excellent job on the build. Very exciting that it will be camping soon. :applause:
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 am

Tyrtill wrote:Excellent job on the build. Very exciting that it will be camping soon. :applause:

+1 Wonderful build! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:51 am

View of the right front corner.

I'm impressed.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (more trim 10-18-19)

Postby les45 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Finally got the vinyl inserts into all the metal corner trim and trimmed out the door frame. I happened to have enough of the black vinyl material left over from previous projects to do all the corners on both sides. I used a flat trim piece to make the transition from the EPDM roof to the metal skins on the top on each end and painted that piece white and added white vinyl inserts. Also, I hadn't previously mentioned that I trimmed out the bottom bevel on each end with aluminum diamond plate. I tried to make the bend onto that small area with my skins but they just wouldn't bend to look right. I used the white flat trim pieces to make that transition on each end also. I trimmed out the door with pieces of 1X2 cut down to 1/2" thick with a 1/4" notch to allow for the corrugations in the skins. I painted the trim and the skin area above the door with Rustoleum hammered silver. I have a traditional teardrop style rain diverter to install above the door later.

The corner trim will remain unpainted with black vinyl insert. The flat trim painted white with white insert makes the transition from the skin to the diamond plate on the bottom.

The flat trim with white insert also makes the transition from the EPDM roof to the skins (this is a view at the rear)

This is a view of the flat trim at the front.

A closer view of the two types of trim. The open end of the white trim piece will get caulk and white paint and all the trim will be caulked with Dicor lap sealant.

A simple 1X2 wood trim around the door covers the ends of all the skins and makes a nice looking transition.

Next steps include installing all the running lights and then caulking the heck out of everything that can leak.
Those are the final steps before pulling it out of the garage and installing the axle, tires, and Fantastic Fan.
les45
500 Club

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (running lights 10-19-19)

Postby les45 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Installed running lights and porch light today. I'm actually using the original 1989 running lights from the original pop-up as they are still in very good condition. I originally installed the interior bead board panels with screws so they could be easily removed to access the running light wiring. I needed that access today as several of the holes had to be enlarged and the wires had to be pulled inside to do the drilling. I used my battery booster pack to provide 12 volt dc to make sure each light worked as I installed it.

I used my battery booster pack to provide 12 Volt dc to power the lights. I checked each light to make sure it worked as I installed it.

This is the rear area showing one bead board panel removed and the other panel still in place.

Both panels removed for access to all the top rear running light wiring.

Rear view. The license plate holder in the center is the front bracket from my TV (Nissan Xterra) with a generic light added.

Rear side view. Note that the porch light is actually on the interior DC system which is powered by a 12 volt DC computer power supply.

Front side view.

Start caulking tomorrow using Dicor lap sealant. I will use self leveling on the EPDM roof areas and non-self leveling on all the vertical trim and lights.
One thing I haven't mentioned is I plan to add a painted stripe on both sides so that will be the last thing to do inside the garage and it will then be ready to pull outside and install the axle and tires.
les45
500 Club

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (done indoors 11-25-19)

Postby les45 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:43 pm

After some delays, I have finally completed all the indoor work (Judy is still working on some decals). Painting the stripes on the side and re-installing the porch light were the last items of interior work. I still have a lot of work to do outside to prepare a storage area so I'm thinking I'll just let the trailer sit in the garage for the winter and we'll finish it up outside in the spring. There are a few things I can do inside by jacking it up including final stapling of the bottom row of metal skins and sealing the small area on the front and back between the diamond plate and the frame. Then the only work to do outside will be to re-install the axle and tires and the Fantastic Fan.

The stripes are Rustoleum paints applied with a 4" foam roller. Judy wanted a turquoise stripe in the middle so we had to mix it ourselves. The yellow was also mixed to soften it from the stock Sunburst Yellow. The turquiose was a trial and error mix of white, blue, and green.

Front quarter view showing the EPDM roof. All the trim around the edges of the roof was sealed with Dicor lap sealant. The Fantastic Fan will also be sealed with Dicor.

Rear view showing the diamond plate on the bottom bevel. The license plate bracket is actually the front bracket from my Xterra TV. The spare tire was originally installed in this area but I decided to store it indoors and haul it in the TV when we are towing.

Left side of rear interior area showing the full size queen bed and rear shelving. Reading lights are LED. All other interior lighting is 12 volt DC. There are five AC receptacles scattered around the perimeter walls for running ceramic heater, coffee pot, computer, and various chargers.

Right side of rear area with bed and shelving. The small shelf on the wall folds out to hold a laptop computer which we use to watch DVD's at night.

Dinette and galley cabinet in front end. The small galley cabinet was an existing unit that I made years ago and we just use it primarily to store our smaller galley stuff. We also have storage under the bed for the big stuff. We make coffee on the small cabinet in the mornings but we do most of our cooking outdoors under a 10' Easy Up over the picnic table.

Another view of the dinette area and small galley cabinet. The floor in the center was dropped six inches in order to drop the overall height and allow me to build it indoors. Got the rug on Ebay. The electrical system is under the left seat and a port-a-potty and space heater are stored under the right seat.

Sewing is another one of my talents. I sewed the curtains double sided so the good side shows inside and outside. They are simple pocket curtains on a standard bracket. They will pull easily to the side to provide interior lighting during the day.

We will be piddling with decals for the next few weeks and then it just sits til spring. Stay tuned....................
les45
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Beautiful job y'all have done... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Love the lay out inside and the way everything turned out..
Your craftsmanship is excellent.. on all the work and all the detail.. :applause: :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Looking great!You have more will power than me.I'd have to pull it out in the day light and admire it!
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 pm

A beautiful job. Everything is done to perfection.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby DanO2020 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:49 pm

A fantastic and detailed build! Just finished reading the whole thread up to this point. Some great ideas in there for my pop up conversion.
DanO2020
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pop-up to vintage standy (wheels on 3-25-20)

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:04 am

After sitting in the garage all winter, my retro project was finally ready to see the light of day. Good weather forecast so I decided to pull her out and put the wheels on. She was sitting on four car dollies and the plan was to simply push her out into the driveway and jack her up. The whole operation went as planned as you can see in pics below:

Sitting in the garage all winter on dollies. Everything is done except installing wheels and Fantastic Fan (clearance looked too tight to take a chance on installing the fan indoors)

Lighten the load. First step was to remove all loose weight to make it easier to push.

The crack between the driveway and garage floor was deep enough that I decided to fill it with a thin wood strip to make the small dolly wheels roll over it easier.

Jacked the rear end first and removed dollies.

Both ends up.

Used the dollies to move the axle.

Rolled the axle on the dollies from the rear. It was a tight fit but it rolled right into place.

Two bolts on each side and the axle is installed.

Wheels on.

Turned around and ready to hook up to TV.

After getting the wheels on, I hooked up and towed it around the block and then into the back yard. Still have to install the Fantastic Fan and we'll be ready to camp.
les45
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals