Howdy from coastal Texas!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from coastal Texas!

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 am

Okay I missed this Newbies forum part here, my bad...

I am an avid camper, that is getting older, and with a wife that likes her creature coimforts... Tenting is something we need to put behind us as a checkmark in our history books as it were...

We've looked at Travel Trailers, and they are generally speaking too big, and too expensive, motorhomes, which just isn't going to happen due to either cost, or age / reliability, truck campers, which are typically too heavy for a half ton truck (Our truck is an '04 F150 4x4) treadrops, which with my back issues isn't an option, and then I stumbled upon the concept of a DIY foamie truck camper when researching how to basically get everything we need to enjoy our camping / travels, get into the places we want to be, and not have to replace our old truck for a new $40K minimum truck (I gotta have 4 wheel drive where we like to go).

I am in the design phase of a foamie camper / truck topper. The idea is to use it like a truck topper camping rig, but allow us to fold the bed up into a sofa, allowing us floor space to set up daytime facilities should we get sogged in. The goal is to have it set up so that we weigh less than 1K lbs wet with everything we need, including a 5K BTU AC and small generator.

FWIW, Our original plan was to just buy a Eureka SlideInn camper, and we had reached out to Eureka for sales information, the week the owner died and they got shuttered...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Howdy from coastal Texas!

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Welcome!
Lots of good info here and friendly folks to answer questions.

Make sure you spec out the generator to match your AC. Our 5k btu unit needs 2000w at max compressor start up. Went with a 2400 Yamaha converted to propane - mount it on the tongue with a secure bracket so it doesn't get legs - no foul/deadly exhaust so we can run it boondocking in the outlands.

Post your pictures...
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Re: Howdy from coastal Texas!

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am

w
Bill n Robi wrote:Welcome!
Lots of good info here and friendly folks to answer questions.

Make sure you spec out the generator to match your AC. Our 5k btu unit needs 2000w at max compressor start up. Went with a 2400 Yamaha converted to propane - mount it on the tongue with a secure bracket so it doesn't get legs - no foul/deadly exhaust so we can run it boondocking in the outlands.

Post your pictures...

I've got an older Goldstar 6.5K BTU window unit that will likely need to be replaced eventually, I can and do run it boondocking with the tent using my Harbor Freight Tailgator 900w peak 700w running generator.

My long term drooling over it generator is the Westinghouse iGen 2500.

2KW inrush for a 5K BTU AC seems like a lot. I guess it depends on the model....

I have for the camper build, a Walmart Arctic King 5K BTU mechanical unit that lists a max inrush of 5.5amps / 580w. https://us.midea.com/product/Arctic-King/Window-Air-Conditioner/Arctic-King-5,000-BTU-Mechanical-Window-Air-Conditioner-White-WWK05CM91N

The truck has a winch mount / brush guard on the front end. I am hoping to mount the generator up there to keep it far enough away from the campers ventilation, which will be toward the tailgate of the truck. I will be looking for a way to secure the generator to the brush guard. WIth the Tailgator it fits under the hoop no problem and can simply be bolted down, the iGen is considerably larger though...

Yeah, it's going to have to be a budget build...

The idea is for a sleeper with space for a toilet / shower and a flip down shelf for food prep IF need be. Awnings on both sides that can be enclosed to provide an outdoor kitchen and living space.

While I don't want to go cheap on this, I am being cost sensitive here out of reality. I am planning on reusing my old Coleman Dual Fuel campstove, and lanterns (outdoors) and my Coleman gas heaters to provide winter comfort if needed. Again LOTS of ventilation...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves