Slow Build in Oz

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Slow Build in Oz

Postby MickinOz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Applying my mind to glues/adhesives
Can get easily enough
Titebond 11 or 111
Sikaflex 252

Can get (looking very much like direct from states via Ebay - no Aussie loctite sellers I've found list these):
Loctite PL premium.

Or there is this:
http://media.hbfuller.com/documents/AU_ ... S2+TDS.pdf - they say that this stuff is is good for the transport industry and is waterproof and heat proof to 90C. Heat tolerance is very important here in Oz.

These guys say Titebond 111 is the strongest:
http://www.oldbrownglue.com/images/arti ... ue_FWW.pdf

Decisions, decisions
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby swoody126 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 am

have been using TiteBond III on a few small boat builds over the last few years w/ good luck

you must work within it's specific perameters and you'll be OK

the stuff has no gap filling qualities

fot that matter it shrinks a tiny bit as it cures

best applied to wood that has been dampened to get the greatest holding power

dampening(not WETTING) the wood invites the glue to permeate the fibers better and really grab hold of them

joints to be bonded w/ TB III must be FLAT to FLAT(no gaps) and held together w/ pressure(weight, screws, nails...) while curing

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I used 252 in crucial areas it is highly recommended from a lad, downunder; Under what is unknow :lol:
Another one he quotes (Stick's like sh*t on a blaket) Simson ISR 70-03
He makes nice stuff.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm

Where I needed super strong or expansion I used Sikabond Techgrip polyurethane. (Available at Bunnings) The rest was just standard construction adhesive.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 am

Hey edge, the Sikabond Techgrip looks pretty interesting.
By standard construction adhesive do you mean something like Selleys liquid Nails or Bostik No More Nails?

Still really struggling with the man-flu, so I haven't done much.
I did lighten the trailer a little today. Embarrassed to say that, after cutting off the winch post, the winch post brace and the post with the v-block that took the stem of the dinghy, say 40 minutes with the angle grinder, I had to have a little rest. The missus is booking doctor's appointments Monday morning and isn't taking no for an answer.

On a brighter note, the trailer is now 9 or 10 kg kg lighter.
We weighed her at 127 kg after the surgery.
My mechanic mate, who has been away on a European Grand Tour, checked the trailer out today. He approves changing the wheels out. He says that despite the 10 inch wheels being rated for the job, the 13's will be kinder to the rest of the system (bigger rolling diameter = smoother ride?) and will certainly look better.

A comment on trailer wheels:
Just about every car we saw here in Oz when we still had a car making industry had hub centred wheels. That is, the middle hole in the wheel was a snug fit on the hub, so the wheel was centred by the hub and in theory the hub took a lot of the weight and the studs main job was to hold the wheel onto the hub.
It's what I'm used to and expect.
So I was a bit left-footed when I found this seems to not be the case these days. In the trailer world, it seems to have disappeared altogether. No one does it.
Everything I could find to buy, including well known international brands, seems to be lug-centred. i.e. the taper on the nuts and the tapered holes on the wheel are used to centre it.
No one seems to offer a combination where the wheel is a snug fit on the hub.
I mentioned this to my mate and he said it's the norm now on cars.
Even when the wheel is hub centred, it is often centred with a removable plastic or alloy ring, definitely not loadbearing.
Attachments
winch weight.JPG
winch weight.JPG (55.12 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Front view.JPG
Front view.JPG (92.79 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Last edited by MickinOz on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 am

Yes Liquid Nails type stuff but a different brand I picked up when Masters closed out.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:17 am

Thanks mate..
The people I bought the trailer from sent me a pic of their new camper.
They had to drive to Dubbo to get it, but what a beast.
Full on jack out camper on a Mercedes truck.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (113.29 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:21 am

Fancy! That would take you on the big lap around the country easily.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 am

The quack gave me some drugs and sent me home to suffer in solitude, so now I'm mulling selection of building materials.

Found the supplier of 5 x 10 plywood. He promised a quote to freight the ply sheets from Victoria to South Australia.
No quote received yet.
Its 1200 miles by road to go get it, probably a bit prohibitive.

I am keen to go slightly longer than 8 feet, mostly because my trailer is around 8 feet 6 in the rectangular bit, and it seems to me a shame to waste any extra length I can have for little effort.
(It hasn't got any wider for the looking at it, still comes in at just a smidgen wider than a standard double bed mattress.)

Which leads to a question for my fellow ockers. Has anyone seen the 2745mm ( 9 feet) plybrace that Bunnings sells for house construction?

The 4mm is hardwood, the 7mm is plantation pine (radiata).
According to the Gunnersen website, the glue is A-bond - same as marine ply. the 4mm is rated at F22, the 7mm at F8.
Gunnersen say it all conforms to the relevant standards, so it should be printed on the ply.
I haven't laid eyes on it though - it's a 260 mile round trip to the nearest Bunnings, and I plan to wait until I have a damned good idea of what I want and have the new wheels on my trailer.
Freight company tracking says the wheels are a week away.
Anyway, It appears a lot of exterior grade ply sold here in Australia is pinus radiata (plantation grown Monterey pine).
What is the groups opinion on this? If it is sold as exterior ply, it must be made from fairly good grade pine, and a liberal soaking with The Mix, and decent overcoating - either PMF or just properly painted - might make it reasonably durable?
Do others use pine in the internal framing without issue?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:56 am

I have not seen the stuff you are looking at. I am away on business at the moment but I'll try to get into a Bunnings on the weekend if you don't get an answer before hand.

I bought Marine ply but I am pretty sure it is pine too. The big difference is that you have two "good" sides. I think as long as the face on the bad side is OK for your purposes it will be alright. Liberal use of the mix should see you through.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby Westy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Mick, I haven't seen the Bunnings plybrace as it shows up on the website as a special order so it will not be in stock. I used marine ply I purchased in Perth from a Yarpie who had a heap of it stored in a factory unit. He told me it was imported from SE Asia. It looked to me to be some type of tropical hardwood. The guy guaranteed that it was marine ply and it has stencils on it saying that the glue used was **** Grade and complied with something. I bought 6mm for the exterior cladding and have had no issues. I used a poor man's fibreglass using hessian (burlap) and heaps of paint. If I were to do it again, I would use canvas (painter's drop cloth from Bunnings) as it is smoother a requires less filling of the pores.

Nearly all caravan manufacturers in Australia use meranti (a tropical hardwood) for framing. I also used it as it is readily available from Bunnings and is cheaper and stronger than radiata pine.

Cheers Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Damn Westy, you be correct.
It might say "buy in-store" for the 7mm sheets when you search on-line, but I tried three stores and they didn't have it.
One store said they'd get their "Special Order Team" to call me back.
Hear that sound? That's crickets chirping........... :(
Same as Plyco who were going to get back to me with a quote to send to SA from Victoria. Waiting, waiting.......
I hate ordering stuff sight unseen anyway.

Good old South Oz,
We exported $1.9 Billion of alcoholic beverages, $2 Billion of copper and copper ores, $1.4 Billion of wheat, and various other metals, agricultural products, education and services in the 2017-18 financial year.

Total Exports: 15.6 billion Australian dollars.
Imports: $13.8 Billion.
Surplus: 1.85 Billion.

So here we are, 1.7 million people, generating $9,000 of export income per man, woman, gender-bender and child.
And running a surplus i.e. living within our means.

We were the first state to give women the vote.
We were the first state to legalise boys having boyfriends and girls having girl friends.
We've got Cactus Beach.
We've got sheep stations bigger than some countries.
We've got Olympic Dam - only Canada's McArthur River produces more uranium.
Our lead smelter is arguably the biggest in the world since Doe Run shut the doors.

So many good things.
But ya can't buy a f#@ing sheet of plywood off the shelf in 2019.

Spewin'

On a happier note, while I was typing this here rant, the missus signed for the new wheels. :)
Whoever mounted them up has never heard of lining up the coloured dot with the valve stem, but you can't have everything.

So I took one around to my mate's workshop for the official professional seal of approval, regarding fit and quality.
He says the standard isn't high, but about what he expects these days. He's one of these guys who figures if you expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

Soon as I feel up to it, I'll bolt them on. My calculations say revolutions per mile drop by 15%
Is that significant? No idea, but can't be a bad thing.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (75.82 KiB) Viewed 11437 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Westy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 am

The $1.9 billion of alcoholic beverages would not have included West End or Southwark beer. Nobody anywhere else in the world drinks that stuff.

Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 am

We call West End Draught "Housing Trust Beer". Only bought by Housos on cheque day. :)
:tipsy:
Southwark, on the other hand, is called "Green Death".
Because it was born with a green label and only men born in South Australia or Broken Hill could drink it without dying.
I still neck a Southwark every now and then, usually just to prove to an inter-stater that it can be consumed without fatal consequences. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Westy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 am

Back in the 1980's I worked at Roxby Downs during the construction phase. There were 2 wet messes and they only served West End or Southwark so we used to go to Andamooka to the pub. They served just about any beer from around Australia.

It was sublime to be able to buy, and drink, a bitterly cold Emu Bitter.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals