sheryl's she shed

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

sheryl's she shed

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 pm

I am not allowed to call it a she shed in front of the landlady. It is the "WORKSHOP" but it will be a stained glass studio and wood working shop. (Works for me) She has more and better stationary power tools than I do and I can use them :D . We put in 5 hours with 3 of us and have the post and beam floor system in and level. It will be 16 x20 and a 3/4 wood floor and standard 2x4 wall framing to 7'6". A 5 / 12 shingled roof with collar ties at 3 foot up in the trusses will give an almost 11 foot ceiling height. Here I am with a not quite finished caboose ,an almost finished Depot,an outside remote wood stove building that still needs a roof and ducting to the two tiny's, and a step van that needs a interior done :oops: It is a darn good thing I am 10 days away from full retirement I got to much work to do to be working :? Pictures are in the camera ( coming soon)
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: sheryl's she shed

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 am

Here are the pics......

The neighbors had an old electric pole replaced and I asked if I could salvage it ?
We cut it into six 5 foot pieces. Here is a small chunk left over....Image

The 5 foot chunks were sunk 3+ feet and cemented in with 2 bags of concrete and aggregate and then notched and trimmed. The notches left a shoulder for the 2x10 ribbon boards....Image

After 5 hours of moving holes and measuring and re-measuring here is the end results. In this picture it is hard to tell but there is about 25 feet between the tractor barn and the new shed.... Image

We are 3/8 th of an inch off of square on the new 16 x 20 building. I called it a small miracle.

There are intermediate legs still to be added and I need to trench in a power line from the tractor barn but for 5 hours of work I am more than happy with the results.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am

bobhenry wrote: It is a darn good thing I am 10 days away from full retirement I got to much work to do to be working :?

Oh can I relate! I wonder how I accomplished anything before retirement.. :lol: I also no longer question why I felt so tired before..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Well the crack crew landed at 9AM and by 1 PM we had measured and marked for the 5 missing post holes. We disassembled the box and center beam to get them out of the way of the tractor and auger. Now with the holes punched we reassembled the outer ring and reinstalled the center beam. We put in the eight not quite 8 foot 2x10's at 4 foot on center between the center beam and the outer 20 foot sides.We then installed the posts in the holes and cemented them in. There were 8 remaining support post of which 5 were to rest on a smaller existing concrete pad and 3 had to be placed in shallow post holes that were hand dug. Each intersection of the frame had either a support leg or a 2x4 reinforcing block added to eliminate any twist and gain added strength at the connection. We then placed 40 of the 60 2x4 joist hangers in place and cut and just dropped in place 20 of the 30 smaller support members that run joist to joist. The land lady decided she wanted a bug barrier at the very bottom of the "sandbox" so we ripped and haloed the bottom of each 4x8 bay with 2" deep ripped 1x2's to support some zip panel that still need to be cut to fit and dropped in with the fiberglass face downward and the R-5 foam insulation upward into the joist cavity. If I can wrangle some scrap foam from work I will toss it in under the floor decking. I will liberally sprinkle a couple boxes of borax that bugs and critters do not like. I used it in the Depot build and almost 2 years later have yet to see a crawly bug inside. After the barrier is in place I will hopefully have the 3/4 plywood decking coated with two coats of polar seal and ready to screw in place. Next week is the walls. I have to corner the design committee ( the land lady) and get the windows and doors selected and decide where they are to be placed and we are ready to go ! I will get some pictures Monday !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 am

Well finally got some pics......

Image ~~~ The empth grid

Image~~~ The 1x2 rim board to support the zip panel critter barrier

Image ~~~ zip panel being cut to place fiberglass face down as a critter barrier

Image ~~~ The first layer of foam ( filled it full )

Image ~~~ The floor finished and protected with polar seal and rimmed with cement board

Image My free windows being converted to hinged swing out cottage style windows. Oh the door behind is one of two double swing French doors (also free)
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:27 am

The walls were a miss-build at work and were a small part of a 3 truck load of free lumber. The cement board was given to me by a co worker to save him from hauling it all to the dump. The windows were out of a dumpster that we emptied twice and sold over $400.00 worth of them, saving a few for my project. The French doors were in the background of a craigslist post. I simply asked about them and was actually asked to PLEASE come get them. The foam was once again diverted to me instead of being tossed in the dumpster at work. So far the landlady has spent less than $500.00 on material mostly the 2x10's and the 3/4 plywood for the deck. The wall material is all on site as a large part of the miss build material. God I love free !!!!!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:56 am

Well another successful weekend ! Two more walls are completed and stood, only one to go. Will spend my first week of full retirement building the 11 trusses using the 16 x 20 floor deck to jig up for their construction. Hope to have them completed and stockpiled and the final wall laid out with the parts all cut and ready for the crew next weekend.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 am

TRUSS DESIGN MOCKED UP AND ONE TEST ONE ASSEMBLED ! :D
Despite the unseasonably warm weather there was a good breeze all day so from 10 am to 3 pm I was able to get a lot done. Have most of the components cut and ready. I used what was on hand from the free garage reclaimed lumber but ran short on the longer pieces, So today is a trip to the lumber yard to spend some more of the land lady's $$$ . Hope to have all 11 trusses built today. Leaving one wall to layout and frame tomorrow. This project is flying it should be under roof by mid October and I started on the 8th of Sept WOW ! :beer:
It is my 5th day of full retirement and it is amazing what you can get accomplished when going to work no longer interrupts your working !
It's a far cry from the caboose from 6/12/12 to current and still needs more loving to complete :oops:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby me&z » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 am

bobhenry wrote:It is my 5th day of full retirement and it is amazing what you can get accomplished when going to work no longer interrupts your working !

Ain't that the truth! Still more projects than hours in the day.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 am

Yesterday started out quite cool and I was layered up. As the day progressed the layers were pealed away. A mid build redesign of my home-designed trusses meant a trip to get additional lumber. Yes we had to actually purchase some lumber

:oops:

I cut about 80 more components (additional web bracing and gussets) . I cut to fit nine 2 x 6 bottom chord members that will act as ceiling joist. I was trying to avoid this to give the shop a feeling of more height but just didn't like the weak feel of the original truss design with the raised bottom chord. I hope to get some more pictures today. The crew will be here today so it should be a great day. Hope to have the trusses completed as I could only complete three yesterday. I did use the pre dawn darkness to get the 4th wall laid out for a 6 foot divided lite french door and some repurposed divided lite windows that will become hinged swing out cottage windows. Hope to have pics to add later today .
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:28 am

Well since last Sunday (when everyone was a no-show) I have managed to single handedly get all the redesigned trusses completed. This was a three day effort but finally completed on Wednesday. I Was able to get my one dependable helper , Frank on Thursday and we completed the 4th and final wall. I am working on 70 and Frank is 63 but us two old farts lifted and set this one piece 20 foot wall with the aid of a few outriggers that held the wall up as we lifted. We smacked it into place with a small sledge hammer and secured and braced it plumb and level. The 16 foot south wall was standing but leaning on the west wall so we slowly baby stepped it around and into place. I held it while he set the bottom plate nails. Again some temporary bracing was added and all were plumbed and leveled to join the walls at the corners. I am so happy to have this hurdle done. The 16 x 20 shop feels so much bigger when standing inside the 4 walls. Weather permitting we will have the trusses set this weekend. Friday is heavy rain but Sat. and Sun. look to be cool but wonderful for getting the roof at least decked providing my two young helpers show. If not us two ol' farts will do what we can without them. I gotta get some pictures....... :pictures:

added..... here is a truss on the floor jig being finished up.... Image

And a stack of gusset parts waiting for the next victim .....Image

You can see portions of a few finished trusses in the background :D
Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:53 pm

We had a crew today ! Us ol farts (above) and a couple of 20 something young guys. With this combo we set all 11 of the home built trusses in about 3 hours. After we called the build for the day I went shopping and purchased 13 sheets of roof decking to be installed Sunday. Frank and I are taking turns with the icy hot as we both hurt. My knees and his hip. Smells like a nursing home around here tonight but we will be up and swinging again in the morning. It is looking more and more like a shop every day.

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm

:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Trusses on Sat as reported and the roof deck is on and under paper ready for shingles by Sunday night !

:P

It's so nice to set under roof and listen to the sounds of fall.... This walnut fell THUD ! .... and that walnut fell THUMP! Yep defiantly fall here in Indiana. I was the only one that was actually hit by a falling nut but a bunch of close calls while working as the winds helped the walnut tree to shed their huge walnuts.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 am

Have electric trenched in , fed from the 100 amp service in the tractor barn. Have installed 4 quad boxes so far with more wiring to come. I wanted some juice with out the extension cord hassle. My almost 70 year old body did not particularly like trenching 18" deep for 25+ feet to bury the underground rated cables. I ran a heavy 10 - 3 and a somewhat lighter 12 - 3 for the lighting, The feed is temporary and is essentially just an extension cord at this time. ( But at least it is one that doesn't require being rolled up at night ) :thumbsup:

Saturday - Sunday will be a big jump if all hands show up. The pups will install about 6 square of roofing while us ol' farts install the 18 plus sheets of T1-11 siding . This will get us weathered in :P

UPDATE: ( Sat night 10/19 ) As planned the roof is complete and all but 4 sheets of T1-11 have been installed. It is looking sweet !Image
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels