Puffin 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:24 pm

:oops: I'm sorry I didn't mean to open a bag of worms. I am building a TD as we speak and getting ready to skin I will heed your advise;on the caulk.

I was under the impression that there was another puffin build under way
I thought yours was puffin #1 sorry too hear the bad news hopefully you can rehab the problems.
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Steve's Puffin is great!

Postby Ruby Colorado » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 am

Hey guys, I posted some advice. Advice, not criticism. Sure, I would have liked the Puffin 2 to be perfect, but it would never have been since I didn't build it! Steve, the builder, is fantastic and has shared a lot of advice and asked for a lot of advice. How can you complain about that?

And... I always felt that I purchased the Puffin 2 in progress, so I am also looking for some advice, putting some suggestions out there for all of us, and NOT criticizing Steve. My apologies to Steve the builder if anyone thought I was knocking him.

Here's to sharing and improvement! :designing: :designing: :designing:
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 am

Kind of ironic that you live in Golden and keep the trailer in Bastrop, we moved from Round Rock to Longmont last year.

I've met Steve on several occasions and seen the Puffin. I've always wondered if it bottomed out since it rides so low. I guess you can always flip the axle to the bottom of the spring pack.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ruby Colorado » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah, I've been thinking about flipping the axle, or just taking out the dropped portion.

I just recently moved to Flagstaff where I have some acreage and a large barn/workshop and my land is so rough that I don't think the Puffin 2 would survive here! I don't expect to bring it up here until next spring. Too many other projects right now. And I am hoping my family in Texas will use it down there.
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Ruby Colorado wrote:Steve overall did a bang up design, but there are problems; so, some friendly feedback on the Puffin 2.

It leaks like a sieve! One of the problems is no caulk applied to the rain deflector over the door. I think this is what causes the floor to fill with water when it rains. However, the panel to the right of the door also swelled with the first rain and hasn't been the same since, especially the paint. Seems odd if exterior grade plywood used for the exterior.

Haven't figured out where the water comes from on that. Everyone, caulk, caulk, caulk. You should see an Airstream body before the interior finish is done. My god, half the weight of that trailer must be caulk!

It sounds like it might be more than just the over-the-door seal – that’s a lot of water and it might be that the seal between the roof and the wall should also be checked. Also, you could check the door seal. If the wind is blowing from one side or the other, and it often is, the water could be coming in around the door as well as in through the top of the door. You may have to resort to the garden hose treatment to find the leak(s). If I remember right, Steve used a wood paste fillet and fiberglass tape on the seams between the walls and roof, I can’t remember if he also put fiberglass tape on the outside corner, though I thought I remember that he did put it on the roof seem; so, I wouldn’t suspect the roof corner, unless he didn’t tape the corner with glass. Personally I’m a big fan of putting at least 1 thin layer of fiberglass in the exterior as I think it adds integrity to the paint (epoxy first with the light-weight fabric and then a UV paint over that). I would be a feared (in Texican) of the paint cracking otherwise.

To find the leak I would first start at the top by isolating the door (tape it off so that water cannot enter either from the top or around the door. Use a hose and check to make sure it’s not coming from the wall/roof joint. If you can confirm that then move to the door. Shoot water (sprinkle attachment) just above the door so that the rain gutter should be working. Observe how the water runs over it and verify that it is functioning correctly – if not calk it etc. If that’s not the problem then the water is probably coming from around the door so you’ll need to investigate an adjustment to the present seal, or swapping out the seal for one that works.

I also find it a bit curious that the external marine-grade plywood would be warped/swollen as well – perhaps its exterior grade, but even that should be resistant to warping or swelling. How bad is it? Can you sand it down and refinish, or do you have a chunk that will need to be replaced?

Ruby Colorado wrote:Another problem is that although the dropped floor makes it nice for a shorter person to stand up, it makes it impossible to avoid any road hazards or take the Puffin 2 on an unpaved road -- especially with potholes. For example, my sister's driveway!

I agree the easy thing would be to move the axle below the spring and that should help you clear a bunch of hurdles. I think they also make some spacers that you could get from an off-road place or maybe even a trailer place would have them – you would also need some longer u-bolts, but they’re not expensive.

Ruby Colorado wrote:#3 is that with no ventilation, even one person spending the night in that tiny space results in mucho humidity and unpleasant heat and still air. I will definitely be adding a roof vent and probably a screen door, if not an opening window.

That should work

Ruby Colorado wrote:It is wired for 12V but with the battery inside. I would like to remind everyone that batteries placed in the interior must be in a sealed battery box with venting to the outside. Obviously, I will correct this.

Yep, and also goes for propane tanks.

Ruby Colorado wrote:It is cuter than a bug! The first time I saw it, I laughed out loud because it is so ridiculously adorable!

Best,
Rebecca

This is one of the more interesting and cute builds and really has a lot of potential – hope you get all the bugs worked out so you can quit worrying and start enjoying!
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ruby Colorado » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Great advice!

Steve says, " The plywood on the sides of the camper was sealed with epoxy resin, so it should be even better than exterior plywood. The plywood was BCX which is plywood with exterior glue bonding. "

I don't think I will have to replace any plywood, but the exterior finish will have to be repaired.

AND, Steve is aware of these problems and wants to come fix them What a guy! :applause: If he has time (he no longer lives in Bastrop), I would like him to take a look, but I am not so concerned that I feel he is responsible to fix things. He's got a great look and design here, but like all new things, it needs a few bugs worked out, and I want Steve and all of us to learn from this.
Vintage Trailer Addict
Ruby Colorado
Donating Member

Re: Puffin 2

Postby tekroach » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:51 am

I wish I could see the pics
tekroach
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Puffin 2

Postby aggie79 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:11 pm

tekroach wrote:I wish I could see the pics

Try this link: http://www3.telus.net/public/bve/files/Tears_and_Tiny_Travel_Trailers_The_Puffin.pdf.zip. One of the forum members converted the thread to PDF before the picture links were lost.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques