Good morning from Florida

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Good morning from Florida

Postby Old Fogey 4A » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:22 am

Sure glad we came upon this site, we don't know much about the process of either building a teardrop or converting a cargo trailer. My better half is not real sure about the whole topic but I'm working on her. We are both in our 70's but are still young at heart, this process just might kill us??????. We're leaning towards a CTC, get's us on the road faster but money is a big consideration. Hope we don't wear out our welcome but I will need to reach out for input. Wish you the best, see ya soon.

Bruce
Old Fogey 4A
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Good morning from Florida

Postby edgeau » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 am

Welcome. You will find plenty of support around here, whichever route you choose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Gold5one » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Welcome! I live in SW FL and constructed my camper outside, in Jan- April of 2015- I was 65 when I got it done- Knowing what I know now- If I built another one, I wouldn't. The costs sure add up- it was fun, though. However, wood is a lot more expensive now.
Today, being about 5 years older and having sold off my table saw and other wood working tools---I would instead look for an R-pod 151 or 152 from 2009-2010- the smallest one they made, 1900 lbs and 15ft- Nada is around $4000. It has a wet bath.
Here is one issue that I have read about-- some commercial RV parks will not accept homemade campers. Didn't affect me as I would usually just boondock at Walmart, truckstops, etc.
2nd, if you buy a smaller used commercial RV, you might get most of your money back when you sell it.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Gold5one wrote:...Knowing what I know now- If I built another one, I wouldn't. The costs sure add up- it was fun, though. ...I would instead look for an R-pod 151 or 152 from 2009-2010- the smallest one they made...
2nd, if you buy a smaller used commercial RV, you might get most of your money back when you sell it.

That's what I've been advising my friends who ask about building one. The only two reasons to build rather than buy are either to get something you can't buy, or because you love doing woodwork and wiring and are happy to spend a few hundred hours doing it.
For me both were true; glad I did it and I just might do it again.
But I always emphasize that you won't save any money building your own trailer.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I built because I wanted to have something to camp in that I made. My TD will out perform any stick made camper out there in cold weather. This year will tell the tale if I consider selling it since I also now have a little fiberglass egg that also has a bathroom. When we get older, that does have it's advantages. My TD could take a beating and still be in camping shape while other manufactured units would have rattled apart on the roads that I typically drive on. It's easy to heat, easy to tow and the when I am camping the whole world is my living room anyhow. A TD also doesn't take up much room in the back yard as would a typically manufactured unit. In Fla heat, AC would be a must. The way I put AC in my unit could be problematic for quick camping trips. Because I need my rear hatch open to vent the AC, I'd need a easy up in place in case of rain. But as far as cost goes, Most campers that you would buy off a lot like an RPod is going to cost a lot more than I paid to build my unit, upkeep is also going to be considerably more. I don't think they'll age as well either. Mine's about ten years old and not much different than when I first built it.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby TerryB89 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 pm

unless you just want a project, do yourself a favor and look up New Wave Teardrops in GA. I bought a 5X 8 2 years ago $3,500

https://newwaveteardrop.com/
TerryB89
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves