First time builders - building a "woodie"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First time builders - building a "woodie"

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 am

TimC wrote:Nicole and Kyle... my brother is going to start on his door fitting. Can you share your source for the aluminum trim? Wall side looks like two edge mouldings and door side looks like a t moulding. What will you use for weather stripping?

And, he's wondering if you'll use the same technique on the hatch?

He's not far from Vint. Technologies. Hoping that's your source.

Thanks, Tim
Hi Tim! Yes Vintage Technologies is the source for all of that. T moulding(HT13) on the door, HT09 and HT10 on the door jamb. Also used the HT10 on the roof. Also used the HT09 on the top and bottom ledges of the hatch. I will take pictures tonight of that and upload them here!

We used a small D seal from Vintage Technologies on the doors, but they aren't providing enough of a seal. I'm going to buy larger D seals for the doors after our first trip. We're going to put wood veneer on the inside of the door trim possibly. Currently Kyle just went over it with spar varnish for our first trip to give it some protection. We are going to put our large tent over the camper this whole weekend so we don't have to worry about leaking. The only spots I'm worried about are the doors because of the small seals and the top of the hatch I feel we need to put some extra caulk in a couple areas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Ready for our maiden voyage tonight!!! We only got one of the hatch latches installed by about midnight last night, but we decided that one latch will do for this trip lol. We are playing around with a few name ideas, and I think one we are leaning towards is Horizon. We still have work to do on it and will continue to update this build journal as we go ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Re: First time builders - building a

Postby steve cowan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Looks great! Enjoy your trip.Sure to get a lot of requests for "tours". :thumbsup:
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:51 am

Our maiden voyage was a huge success! We had people from all over the campground making the trek to our teardrop just to see it. When they found out we built it ourselves they were even more impressed! It was totally functional and awesome. It rained and we didn't cover it with the tent but it was all fine! I didn't find any places where water leaked, so that was great! We still have some weather proofing we want to do, but I'm feeling amazing about it at this point ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am

Here's a few more pics of the inside and one of the solar panel. The solar panel powered everything except for the fridge just fine! It was really trying to keep up with the fridge but just not doing enough. Probably will look into getting a 2nd solar panel eventually.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 pm

nicoleandkyle wrote:Our maiden voyage was a huge success! We had people from all over the campground making the trek to our teardrop just to see it. When they found out we built it ourselves they were even more impressed! It was totally functional and awesome. It rained and we didn't cover it with the tent but it was all fine! I didn't find any places where water leaked, so that was great! We still have some weather proofing we want to do, but I'm feeling amazing about it at this point

Oh ya! One of us should have told you: You're supposed to hit it with a garden hose before loading it up or using it, to check for bad seals. Our bad :oops: !

Seriously, glad the teardrop is a success! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And as I've learned with Shelly, when both partners work on the project, building is that much more fun!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:43 am

Amazing work!! So quick! I remember when you were still researching how to make one! :applause: :applause: :applause:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 pm

What a beautiful build!! Thank you for sharing all your build pics.
ChrisW
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nicoleandkyle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks everyone!! We kind out burned ourselves out on it during August and we never finished the galley! We are going camping one last time this weekend and then storing it for winter. We plan to finish the galley and anything else in the spring

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Mon May 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Baby Moons! Hoping for a post about them. Where did you get them? How did you mount them?

My baby moons keep falling off!

Your build is awesome. Hope to see more of the finishing touches.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Tue May 26, 2020 8:29 am

Hi Tim! These are the hubcaps we bought:
https://hubcapmike.com/12-inch-mooney-h ... eel-cover/

They really just snapped into place and we have not had any problems really. Before ordering them I reached out to the store owner and made sure they would fit our tires first. Let me know if you have any other questions :)
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Philip » Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 am

Nice build

:applause:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks!! I recently made some curtains for it and we got those up. We plan to start working more on the galley soon, but we have been busy with yard work and building a raised garden box.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200527-100207_Photos.jpg
Curtains
Screenshot_20200527-100207_Photos.jpg (502.95 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Wed May 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Where did you guys source the Foldy mattress/couch? Something I'd like to do in the future.
Last edited by TimC on Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi Tim- here is the link for the mattress we use. It's really great to be able to do both!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NB2NP ... asin_title
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals