sheryl's she shed

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: sheryl's she shed

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Sunday I installed the last 4 sheets of T1-11 , did a lot of pick up and clean up and installed 8 duplex outlets.
Monday was a rainy and wet goof off day, but I did install another 16 feet of wiring and have 3 more single box duplex outlets installed and operational. This completes the electrical for the west and north walls. When the pups show up this weekend we can get the gable end sheathing cut and installed and the windows and door put in. During the week days I will continue with the electrical wiring. I also need to add blocking between the truss bottom chords and the shorter North and South walls to make a continuous member to help reinforce the walls for wind shear. With single top plate construction I find the gable end walls just a bit too wiggly for my liking and I feel the continuous blocking will eliminate this condition.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 am

Well the wiggly gabel end walls wiggle no more :D Wednesday one of the young guys had a day off and showed up to help. I cut the triangle sheets for the gable fill and he installed all eight of them. We marked and cut out the window openings. We left a tiny bit in the corners to hold the siding in place since rain is predicted but a few strokes with a good hand saw and the windows can be popped in. To eliminate the wiggle I decided to add a 16 foot 2x6 very top plate to the existing gable end top plate. It sets out and makes a great ceiling nailer if a ceiling is later installed. It was screwed heavily to the existing plate and really stiffened the walls. We then added the blocking down the center from the gable end walls wall to the next 4 truss bottom chords. Marrying all these together shared the shear and the walls wiggle no more. I cut the lower chord out of the center truss and added a mounting for the ceiling fan higher up in the trusses. After that 4 hours of work I was alone again so I went back to my electrical system design by installing about 8 more outlets and a 4 gang switch box next to the entry door. After about a 6 hour day I also called it quits.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:49 am

Well my building prowess was tested last night with 50 MPH wind gusts. The new build still stands this morning :) Friday I started framing-in a small potty area for another lovable loo style potty. All the outlets are in and have been checked to assure they are wired and grounded correctly. Rained out Saturday but Sunday will be window install day in about 2 hours (if daylight ever peeks out). No rain , no wind, and temps in the 60's so it will be a great day. Going to pick up about 6 steel cabinets from the house in a house storage area and start on the work benches. Will be insulating and installing the same cement board we used as the underpinning of the frame rim board. It will be applied as very wide dropped siding. This will be done in the area where the wood stove will be installed as a fire safety barrier for the wall. Sounds like a busy day is in store. Wish me luck !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:01 am

here are the steel cabinets and counter top Image

here is the potty area rough framedImage

Removed one bottom truss chord and installed the ceiling fan...Image

Starting to look like home ( all cluttered up ).....Image
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:44 am

Got a phone call yesterday :D

It seems my buddy has about 4 crates of cement clapboard and about 400 sq ft of ceramic wood look flooring. He gathers for a mission but these donations are just too heavy and specific to be of value where he is directed to take the random donations. They are meant for the poor and yes I guess I qualify so I took a moment to thank the man above and intend to get my butt over there and gather my gifts.

I will install the cement board clap board siding behind the wood stove and perhaps an accent wall. And of course we all know where the wood look flooring is going. I hope to have enough extra to put a small dab in the wet areas of the caboose tiny house on wheels bath area. :beer:

this what they should look like when installed.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 am

We bumped 55 yesterday so I spent about 4 hours insulating and sheathing the inside walls with oriented strand board as a backer for the cement board shakes. Directions said they can be applied stud to stud but I wanted a heavier backing in case of impact after all it will be a wood shop and stained glass studio. I need to drag out the camera and get some updated shots. Going scrapping today. Stopping by my old workplace they are saving window and door cut outs of 7/16 OSB for me to use as the liner. Did I mention I love free !
Last edited by bobhenry on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:53 am

Forgot to mention that Monday I was able to snag a 30k BTU vent free gas wall heater for $55.00 off of a local yard sale listing on the net. Land lady is having doubts about it and the saw dust but I reminded her we will also be having a wood stove installed so what is the difference. I installed a 12k BTU unit in the Depot and it has proven to be a bit undersized for severe cold so I will put the 30 K in the Depot and the 12k in the shop. This weekend I need to work on heat and the insulation so winter work can continue.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:04 am

It's 18 degrees this morning. I have decided to install the 30k gas heater TODAY ! in the shop as temporary heat. I had 7 of my 20# propane bottles filled and stopped by my old shop and begged for scraps. I loaded my pickup with all she would hold of window and door cut outs of 7/16 OSB. 3x5 4x6 and 2 x 8 pieces mostly but others as well. I will scrap in the walls with the OSB after insulating them. Later drywall can be applied with great ease. ( No worry about hitting a stud and shelving will be easier to install as well.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:13 am

Well happy veteran's day ;)

Saturday one of the young guys showed up to help and we flew thru almost 300 square feet of wall insulating and sub sheathed it all with the scrap OSB. We only worked 4 hours but I was oh so happy with what we were able to accomplish. Only one wall remaining and that is behind the steel cabinets and outer top on the West wall.

Sunday I worked an hour or two on rebuilding one of the the damaged french doors and caulked all the installed windows as freezing rain and snow is expected on Monday.

I need to install a small building exhaust fan and a light in the potty area. I have the line ran for the overhead lights but need to mount them. I have about 6 of the recessed lights like I used in the depot left so I think I will use them over the work bench.

I still need to suck it up and cut a hole in the pretty new roof for the wood stove also :frightened: Well off today to gather even more of the free OSB .

Did I ever mention I love free ! :rofl2:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am

Well the Monday post indicated I was off for some more free OSB. Well mother nature and good sense prevailed. With 33 degrees and raining I decided I did not want to play bumper cars for over 90 miles. I turned around and canceled my trip. Stone cold and fresh snow later in the morning confirmed I had made the right choice. Stayed in and looking out the windows occasionally I cussed the snow and the cold and was really wishing I had installed the propane heater in the shop so work would be possible. Well 3 days later it warmed up a bit and the wind died down enough that the shop was bearable with a heavy shirt and sweatshirt to work. I spent about 2 1/2 hours yesterday installing the last of the insulation in the shop area, ( I still have the potty area to do) during this time I also finished hanging the last rebuilt french door and started on more OSB interior sheathing. The shop is fully weathered in and critter proof now. I had tracks in the snow and on the floor where my buddies the squirrels had started moving in. I even found a single walnut hid in the crotches of the truss components. Well the roads look clear and the weather has moderated so perhaps I can collect my OSB scrap pieces today.

Image We were able to coat a few sheets of the siding before installation with the weatherproofing until we ran out :NC

2 old farts started on this corner and had trouble holding them up while the other nailed so the margin at the bottom is a bit uneven. As we progressed we learned a trick and used a concrete block and a 5 foot 2x4 to lift and hold the siding in place much more solidly . It will look fine when done as a water table board will be added at the bottom and at the gable transition. I wanted all the trim installed after we coat the siding and tape the corners with butyl tape to keep out the weather.

Image My brought back from the dead french doors. A bit muddy but swinging :thumbsup:

OH the steps are very very temporary . I is simply a pile of landscape timbers arranged in a manner so that only 1 or 2 had to be cut so they can be reused elsewhere on the landlady's farm later.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:51 am

Shop is now COMPLETELY OSB lined . Wired the potty area for a power stack fan and a ceiling light. Even got the ceiling installed in the potty room. Sure doesn't sound like a lot but helper and I worked a solid 4 hours as hard as we could go. I wired and un wired the feed to the building four times to get the wiring correct. I had a small sub panel box I placed at the service entrance from the underground feed to be able to access it as needed later on. I also got the 30k propane heater safely installed and running . All 37 sheets of OSB scraps I harvested Friday were unloaded from my poor truck and stored away for later. I was one tired and sore pup. I was ready for a hand full of aspirin and a recliner by about 4PM .
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Today was the first real test of the 30 k propane heater. I went up to the shop about 9:30 and all was stone cold but it was about 40 outside. I fired up the heater first thing. I paid little attention to it until just after noon when I realized 5 was too high ( goes to 8 ) . I reset it to "1" ( the lowest setting) . By 2 pm I just turned it off. I was busy making let down self leveling shelving and didn't realize until then I was actually breaking a sweat in my hooded sweat shirt. Yep we are ready for -15 here in Indiana this winter.

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 am

I started on my version of this idea yesterday. If it doesn't fall off of the ceiling and kill me I will make a full report........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZMOnsVRds
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 am

Set the ceiling joist storage unit in the corner for the moment and just had to get the concrete Hardi board shingles up behind the wood stove. It really looks sweet. It was a long five hours doing just 120 +/- square feet but there were outlets to cut in and windows to skirt around so it did take some exacting measuring and deft use of a small 4 1/2" grinder but boy does it look goods. With the 50+ MPH wind gusts we had yesterday it was nice to work inside and the little propane wall heater made it very comfortable. I will dust off the camera and get some pics today.

Image The tool storage cabinets

Image The stained glass work area

Image need to add in inside window trim and ell shaped edge trim
but the big question is to paint or not to paint ?????
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 am

The chimney is ON !

A few safety screws in the interior stack and the stove is ready to fire today !

I am like a five year old at christmas. I can not wait to get a fire started in this little guy !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels