Foamie Bump Outs With Repurposed Pop-Up Bunk End Rails?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie Bump Outs With Repurposed Pop-Up Bunk End Rails?

Postby SueDado » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:42 am

Good day, everyone. I have an old pop up camper that we were going to get rid of or strip down to the frame and repurpose. Some pop up owners are converting bunk ends into hard slide outs. It occurred to me that perhaps the bunk end rails could be repurposed into a tiny foamie camper project. Has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foamie Bump Outs With Repurposed Pop-Up Bunk End Rails?

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:32 am

I have not, yet your old pop-up has several parts to be re-purposed.

I like the thought of the slide-outs on the foamy! :thinking:
You have the mechanicals for a lifting roof (standee?) If the roof section is still intact, that a plus to re-use. :thinking:
And of course the a frame to build from (increase or shrink).

Think I'd start designing around the possible parts and see where it leads. Sounds like a fun project!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SueDado » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 am

What I’m planning to do is add living quarters in a 2-3 horse bumper pull trailer by converting a small dressing/tack room. Could be as small as 4x6. My 13 year old wants to begin competitive barrel racing and wants to travel to shows.

Plan is to build the cabinets with fiberglass/canvas over foam and a cowboy shower in an empty stall in the back. I would repurpose the propane fridge, stove and heater, along with cushions, bed foam, etc from the pop-up. That way we don’t have to pay extra for an electric hookup where ever we end up. (Or for those back wood camping trips with the horses. Would also love a solar set up as well. All in good time...)

After remembering the propane camper appliances, I thought, why not the rails? Have a welder cut a panel out of the side or front over the tongue and install the pull out. (Also have him add vents/fans to account for the use of propane appliance.). That way, when the bump out is pushed in, the integrity of the exterior remains, with some RV bump out modifications. I have seen where people have added bump outs to RV’s so why not to a tiny LQ of a horse trailer or a foamie, right? And in my case, why not build out the walls and ceiling with fiberglass/canvas over foam?

My husband wants a camper for when he goes hunting. He doesn’t want to camp with horse poo smell so he has zero interest in camping in a converted horse trailer, even though the LQ would be completely sealed off. So the pop-up frame could be used to build him a foamie camper. We could even leave the hard sided part intact and build the rest with foam. And since we have 2 bunk end rails, he could also have a bump out for more space. Plus, we’d have to build in a kick butt game-sized Yeti style cooler for when he’s states away from home to keep the meat fresh.

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 pm

SueDado wrote:What I’m planning to do is add living quarters in a 2-3 horse bumper pull trailer by converting a small dressing/tack room. Could be as small as 4x6. My 13 year old wants to begin competitive barrel racing and wants to travel to shows.

Plan is to build the cabinets with fiberglass/canvas over foam and a cowboy shower in an empty stall in the back. I would repurpose the propane fridge, stove and heater, along with cushions, bed foam, etc from the pop-up. That way we don’t have to pay extra for an electric hookup where ever we end up. (Or for those back wood camping trips with the horses. Would also love a solar set up as well. All in good time...)

After remembering the propane camper appliances, I thought, why not the rails? Have a welder cut a panel out of the side or front over the tongue and install the pull out. (Also have him add vents/fans to account for the use of propane appliance.). That way, when the bump out is pushed in, the integrity of the exterior remains, with some RV bump out modifications. I have seen where people have added bump outs to RV’s so why not to a tiny LQ of a horse trailer or a foamie, right? And in my case, why not build out the walls and ceiling with fiberglass/canvas over foam?

You are on good path here! You're thinking this though! My first thought comes to weight, items, add-ons and axle distance from hitch. As you do so, you are changing the dynamics of the the action upon your trailer. In physics it's called moments, to you and I it's weight or tongue.. Skip all those real smart folks and let's deal weight.. You may wish to look at moving the axle position according to what you're doing. Hey.. I have no idea what your're actually doing and shooting from the hip.

My husband wants a camper for when he goes hunting. He doesn’t want to camp with horse poo smell so he has zero interest in camping in a converted horse trailer, even though the LQ would be completely sealed off. So the pop-up frame could be used to build him a foamie camper. We could even leave the hard sided part intact and build the rest with foam. And since we have 2 bunk end rails, he could also have a bump out for more space. Plus, we’d have to build in a kick butt game-sized Yeti style cooler for when he’s states away from home to keep the meat fresh.

Have him build one of mine!

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SueDado » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm

I’m a former science teacher so the science and math behind this isn’t lost on me. I just need to learn *how* to apply that knowledge since I don’t have an engineering background.

So yes, weight is definitely a major consideration. Planning on a dual axle bumper pull keeping the horse(s) over them then 10-12% of total trailer weight on tongue. Install sway bars for added stability.

The weight is why I think building the cabinets out of foam would be smart. Lighter and less maintenance than wood. Using foam wherever I can should allow me to handle the extra weight of the bunk out rails and wood base. Then attach the same kind of hardware on the hitch that the pop up has for the bunk end support bars.

I think my ideal would be for the bump out to go over the tongue like it does on the pop-up, but from floor level to ceiling, not elevated. Put my “kitchen” in the bump out. May only need to bump out a couple of feet. With lightweight cabinets, a mini fridge, and a microwave, it should be within the weight limit of the king-sized bunk end rails.

In that scenario, the sitting/sleeping area would be along the long wall (width of trailer). Planning to make fold down bunks with the lower one doubling as a couch. Thinking PVC because would be lighter than wood. Found some great bed frame designs. Also PVC for temp corral fence panels.

Would really like to do a full horse trailer in foam but I’ve been discouraged from doing so. Thought that because many boats are multiple layers of fiberglass over foam, it might be doable.

As for what I will pull it with, I’m putting the cart before the horse. I’ll trade my car in for the right truck once the thing is done and I know what the final weight of the trailer is going to be. We have a truck that can pull 7K now, so I can at least get a beat up or salvaged trailer home to do the reno.

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SueDado » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:25 pm

RJ, do you have plans and more pics for the truck?

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:51 am

SueDado wrote:RJ, do you have plans and more pics for the truck?

My build thread is here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71879

I did a drawing in sketchup, but details mainly from head, scary I know. :)
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 am

Quote: “ Would really like to do a full horse trailer in foam but I’ve been discouraged from doing so. Thought that because many boats are multiple layers of fiberglass over foam, it might be doable.”
Don’t let yourself be discouraged about anything you really want to do !!! Fiberglass over foam is Very Strong ( I don’t know about a kicking horse , or horse trailers , although everybody out here has at least one, except me , I don’t have a horse(s) … :NC )
Anything is possible , it’s just “science” eh ! ;) ... and likely a good bit of Engineering and intense amounts of sanding and finishing … But It is Doable !
But first , I would really look around and see what’s out there and is similar . ( someone else has already done the engineering , why re-invent the wheel ) .

Best make some detailed drawings so it can be built to a "measured plan” ( your plan ) !
No longer Alchemy , Foam construction is full on Science now ! Think how much Science it took to just make foam ! … :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby SueDado » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

GPW, Thanks. You are probably right which is why I was initially thinking it could be possible. Just because it hasn’t been done before doesn’t mean it can’t be done, right?

The plan could simply be the same as a store bought trailer over a flatbed trailer. Then customize it my way, keeping the horse(s) over the dual axles and 10-12% tongue weight supported with additional sway bars.

I have an engineer for a brother and my dad was a welder. Although I don’t weld, I watched him build many things. I at least have some knowledge that will help me communicate with a welder to modify the frame or fabricate metal panels.

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:24 am

Whatever you decide , just remember we’re all here to lend help and assistance if needed … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby SueDado » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks GPW!!! It’ll be fun and frustrating but worth it in the end, no matter what I decide to do.

BTW, I saw this yesterday! I’ve been looking for examples of DIY pop up bunk end repurposing. This was added to an enclosed trailer.

A foamie slide out built into a horse trailer with repurposed pop up bunk ends? Or a completely DIY fiberglass horse trailer with pull outs?

Hold my

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies