DEPOT

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: DEPOT

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:06 am

Remover the odd cement board on the front and replaced with the pretty cement board....Image

Here is a small portion of the wood being stockpiled close to the building. .... Image

And here is the dumpster salvaged drainage tubing that will become the delivery and return air ducts to and from both tiny's.....

A funny side note took a few bucks with me to a local company where I had seen a steel entry door leaning against the back of their building for a month or more. My hope was to buy it for little or nothing. Well I got my wish NOTHING, yep free , zero, zilch, not a red cent. Heck the owner even gladly came out to help me load it complete with the new unused jamb set that came with the new door he had replaced into his existing front door of the office. I LOVE FREE !

The new to me old steel door will be added to the woodstove shed and the jamb set will be canabelized to fit the side door on the caboose that had to be replaced.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 am

Well Menard's got another $50.00 of my hard earned money. Picked up enough 5/4 x 6 inch wide deck boards to top off the front porch I made 3 weeks ago. That's the plan for today if my boys don't show to help me drill more post holes for the work shop build. I am also gonna put my new salvaged door casing in so I can have the side door critter proof again. Hope to have a new porch to show off and a few more pics of the floor.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:05 pm

I think winter in Indiana will have a late start this year- I hope you get all your work done.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:31 am

Had an epithany last night! I had planned on a insulated zip panel tunnel of sorts to help insulate and protect the tube ductwork from heat loss. I had originally planned to build separate solar air to air and solar water heater units to wall mount on the south side wall of the depot. I decided that a top comprised of several full view insulated doors would make a great top for this tunnel. The solar gain could aid in heat generation and a shelf installed just above the tubes could support the hot water solar units as well. With the heat loss from the tubes contained in the box and with the solar gain added there would be no reason to drain the water during extreme cold spells I would simply throw another log in the wood stove. Days requiring modest amounts of inside heating could very well be able to be drawn straight form the solar heated box rather than needing a fire in the wood stove.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 am

Forgot to mention that Monday I was able to snag a 30k BTU vent free gas wall heater for $55.00 off of a local yard sale listing on the net. Land lady is having doubts about using it in the shop with all the saw dust but I reminded her we will also be having a wood stove installed so what is the difference. I installed a 12k BTU unit in the Depot and it has proven to be a bit undersized for severe cold so I will put the 30 K in the Depot and the 12k in the shop. This weekend I need to work on swapping these out so winter work can continue.

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TerryB89 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Bobhenry, I see you are not all that far from me, next spring you will have to come check out White River Campground in Cicero, just bring ST RD 47 out of Crawfordsville to Cicero.
TerryB89
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 am

Terry... I have yet to get the tiny teardrop hooked up to the Goldwing to go camping. Sounds like a great short hop test run this coming spring. It has been test ran around the neighbor hood after the build but never fully loaded on the highway. It needs a good test fully loaded and ready to camp.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Bob,
30K for the Depot sure seems like a lot of furnace!
I built a small 850sf bungalo type house in Rossville, Illinois in 1983-with R-16 walls and R-24 attic- would you believe I heated the whole house with a 30,000 btu wall furnace? Next time I am up that way, I am going to try and stop by and see how that house has held up 35 years later. I sold it for $25,000 in 1990.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Today was the first real test of the heater in the new glass shop. I went up about 9:30 and all was stone cold but about 40 outside. I fired up the heater first thing. I paid little attention to it until just after noon when I realized 5 was too high ( goes to 8 ) . I reset it to "1" ( the lowest setting) . By 2 pm I just turned it off. I was busy making let down self leveling shelving and didn't realize until then I was actually breaking a sweat in my hooded sweat shirt. Yep we are ready for -15 here in Indiana this winter. :D

So you are probably right. I may just leave the 12 K in the depot and sleep cool. I was shocked that the 320 sq feet of the shop got they comfortable and the roof is still uninsulated. :shock:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Damn it has been a while since I was here ! It is not that I wasn't busy I just didn't check in :wacky Finally broke down and bought Schlage lock sets all keyed to match for all the compound. It was $150.00 bucks but with 8 keys all alike I will be hard pressed to lock myself out. I lost the 4-5 keys to all of the mismatched mess I had gotten here and there at yard sales and such so what the heck just do it! I have pics to post of my wood stove out building and the delivery system and my out door summer kitchen so here goes.........Image it is a work in progress so please be kind !

Image It was tossed out at the curb during a city wide clean up. Cast iron heavy as hell and about 1890 ish.

Image cook top was free from a long ago gutting of a camper unfortunately I had to pay a whole dollar for the kitchen aide tea kettle at a yard sale this weekend. :shock:

Imagestold this out of the house in a house for a water source for the kitchen :D
Image here is the start of the remote wood stove air handling system. Big tube is delivery, smaller is the return the big white box is a honking big squirrel cage blower fan.

Image fan is in the big white box. It draws the hot air off of the ceiling and shoves it t the two tiny's

Image finally have the ridge on and the gable ends installed. I think I will leave the mail slot open as a source for make up air ???
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 am

NO MORE EXTENSION CORDS

I finally got brave and opened the breaker box in the tractor barn. I had buried 130 feet of 8 gage 4 wire underwater rated power cable well over a year ago. ( shame on me for taking so long). I purchased the needed breakers and strain relief fittings and went after it. With two hot wires I was able to feed the caboose and the depot on separate circuits. I sent all to the depot and added a box there to send one hot circuit on to the the caboose, The neutrals and the grounds passed on (separately) to the second feed.
I now have hard wired lighting and power in both units without the damned extension cords. While I was in there I added two more breakers and fed the wall recepticals and the lighting circuits in the she shed / shop.

I was so stoked I went to the house in a house storage building and loaded my 450 pound monster wood stove. It took me and two helpers but we got it in the trailer and transported 30 miles without incident. With the little 8N and a lift boom we placed in in the remote wood stove building. I have the pipe and two sections of insulated chimney ready I just need a few fittings and the stove will be installed. I gotta get off my butt winter is coming !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:18 am

Sounds like great progress!!

I enjoy checking in to this thread every once and a while. Thanks for keeping it going. :thumbsup:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:24 pm

HAD MY FIRST OVERNIGHT GUEST SO I HAD TO GET PRETTIED UP! THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE SOME PICS......

Image The shelf bed over my 275 gallon water tank. Love my little rebooted $10 yard sale ladder it just fit :D

Image My $42.00 yard sale chairs almost match the burgundy in the wall paper :shock:

Image Got the little wall heater going and things were toasty 8)

Image I love my little night light in the box car :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:59 am

Where did that 1/2 of a year go ? Oh I remember hiding from the BUG ! Seems the caboose has been getting all the attention so the last couple of warm days I decided to build some steps off of the depots front porch. Pictures to follow if my pain in the butt camera will cooperate !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:49 am

Last day in march and I once again concentrated on the depot. I have been putting off closing off the pooch out window. I kept thinking about electrical or air flow from the outside wood stove but decided I was just procrastinating so I went and dun it ! I strapped across the rather complicated opening with 2x4 strapping and temporarily sheathed over it. It was far more complicated than I originally thought as the pooch out angle is about 70 degrees off of the side of the exterior. I was trying to maintain a 45 degree angle on the inside and plane out just 1/2" behind the existing drywall so the new layer would meet up seamlessly after a bit of mudding in of the corner seams. I cut and re cut the fillers a few were slightly different thanks to an inept framer who I won't mention :oops: I found that even with the miter saw in the shop 30 yards away it was trip after trip to and from. I finally dug out the circular saw and just winged it on site. ( Heck it is just framing bones.) anyway this step is done (temporarily) I left the sheathing removable and sat and inspected the results. I decided I did need some electrical modifications for recessed lighting above the window. OH WELL tiny houses are never really done :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels