Australian Off Road Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Australian Off Road Teardrop Build

Postby Daz7 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:19 pm

More progress building the galley....

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Heres the latest Build video - Galley and Rear Hatch

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Latest Camper build video up!

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:16 pm

Latest camper build video online.

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Updates

Building a Fridge Box Door and Cladding the Fridge Box.

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Westy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 am

Hi Daz, I've had a look at your build a couple of times and like what you are doing. Seems like you are approaching it with a bit of thought.

One area that causes me a bit of concern is your fridge box, or more specifically, the location of your fridge.

I have a couple of Engels, including a 30 year old, 19 litre model, that I have carted around Australia on numerous occasions. They have performed well with the exception of badly corrugated roads, where the continual vibration has caused me some problems. On one trip along the Gibb River Road with the Engel on the back of my ute and bad corrugating to contend with, the fridge just refused to work during the travel periods. I was reduced to using it as a freezer at night, freezing water to use the fridge as an esky next day as it would not work properly with the vibration.

I think that your fridge box location may cause similar problems. Not an issue if you are travelling on bitumen roads but heading "offroad' (other than a rest stop bay) might be a problem.

I have a BT50 freestyle cab and the fridges(a 40 litre Engel and the trusty 19 litre) sit on the back seat shelf. Never had a problem since locating them there.

Perhaps something for you to look at.

Cheers

Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Latest Build update video online

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Westy wrote:Hi Daz, I've had a look at your build a couple of times and like what you are doing. Seems like you are approaching it with a bit of thought.

One area that causes me a bit of concern is your fridge box, or more specifically, the location of your fridge.

I have a couple of Engels, including a 30 year old, 19 litre model, that I have carted around Australia on numerous occasions. They have performed well with the exception of badly corrugated roads, where the continual vibration has caused me some problems. On one trip along the Gibb River Road with the Engel on the back of my ute and bad corrugating to contend with, the fridge just refused to work during the travel periods. I was reduced to using it as a freezer at night, freezing water to use the fridge as an esky next day as it would not work properly with the vibration.

I think that your fridge box location may cause similar problems. Not an issue if you are travelling on bitumen roads but heading "offroad' (other than a rest stop bay) might be a problem.

I have a BT50 freestyle cab and the fridges(a 40 litre Engel and the trusty 19 litre) sit on the back seat shelf. Never had a problem since locating them there.

Perhaps something for you to look at.

Cheers

Westy

Hey Westy,

I've had this fridge for quite a number of years and never had an issue so I'm hoping that continues in its new location (I've never really looked after it either). My only concern is heat build-up in the box, so probably need ventilation.

Question re: your problem, did the fridge have possible electrical connection issues when in the ute tray? I know that Ronny Dahl is now running an Engel exposed in his ute tray with no issues and frankly, I've never heard a bad thing about Engels so I'd be looking for a bad electrical connection someplace (although you've probably already done that) :D
Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Westy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm

Daz7 wrote:Hey Westy,

I've had this fridge for quite a number of years and never had an issue so I'm hoping that continues in its new location (I've never really looked after it either). My only concern is heat build-up in the box, so probably need ventilation.

Question re: your problem, did the fridge have possible electrical connection issues when in the ute tray? I know that Ronny Dahl is now running an Engel exposed in his ute tray with no issues and frankly, I've never heard a bad thing about Engels so I'd be looking for a bad electrical connection someplace (although you've probably already done that) :D

No Daz, it was just the extreme vibration that caused the problem. As soon as I got back onto some reasonable road surfaces it came good and has not caused a problem since (the issue was about 8 years ago).
As I said, it now resides on the back seat so it hasn't been exposed to the extreme vibration again.
Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Latest Video - 12 volt wiring, overview on wireless light switching module.

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:38 pm

Well this week has seen the trailer loom mostly done along with some roof insulation installed.

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm

Starting to look like a camper - exterior wall cladding is on!

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:51 pm

We have a Waeco, heaven only knows how it made it to the US. I covered it with Reflectix to help shed sun. One thing to remember it needs to have ventilation to cool.
Ours rides in the back of our Subaru and has a dedicated line to the battery.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Daz7 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Been trying to finish a few items that I've been a bit slack finishing before starting on anything new. Getting there.

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Daz7 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Finally hav the front cladding and window installed. Nearly finished the front end!

Daz7
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals