Camping footwear names

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camping footwear names

Postby edgeau » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:38 am

What do you call these in your neck of the woods?? In some places they are known as jandles, in others flip flops but where I live they are known as thongs (yes I am aware that for many of you that is an entirely different piece of clothing!)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: Camping footwear names

Postby Dave A » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:02 am

my footwears names are fred ,ted znd bill .
Dave A
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:25 am

edgeau wrote:What do you call these in your neck of the woods?? In some places they are known as jandles, in others flip flops but where I live they are known as thongs
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sandles. But when I was a Boy Scout, some of the younger fathers, and counselors slightly older than myself called them "Ho Chi Minh's". Evidently that was the name the US soldiers in Vietnam gave something like those--usually made from old tires (tyres). I don't think it was meant derogatorily.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:33 am

When they first came to the market in San Diego they called them Go Aheads.
Kind of a weird name but was changed to flip flops.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby GTS225 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 pm

As a child, I knew them as "thongs" as well, but in the 60's, dental floss underwear wasn't around yet. It was only later that they became known as flip-flops.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Westy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:26 pm

In Australia, they are, universally, known as thongs.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MickinOz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Thongs for me. But I always thought it was an abbreviation of "thong-sandals". You know, sandals that use straps (thongs) to stay on your feet.
Kiwis call 'em Jandals apparently.
I believe that was originally a brand name derived from a contraction of "Japanese Sandals".
Whatever they are, they are a joy after an 11 hour day with heavy duty furnace safety boots on your feet, even if the medical profession does insist they are really bad for your feet.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:35 pm

MickinOz wrote:, even if the medical profession does insist they are really bad for your feet.

Here's my favorite ones and they are Podiatrist recommended.
About the price of a good pair of shoes but more comfortable than anything I wear.
https://www.powersteps.com/fusion-mens-sandals-brown.html
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:44 pm

Zori, the Japanese original name.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:31 am

Flip flops here.

But in my case I call em pain and suffering. I hate those things, have never found a pair that didnt hurt my feet.

things like this are what I usually opt for
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REDHEAD ... lsrc=aw.ds
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 am

* Whether camping or not, I personally never wore sandals, even as a child, and only a single pair of flip-flops for less than an hour, before I threw them away (hated the piece in between my toes). After that, I wore tennis shoes, followed by "chukka" desert boots (usually Hush Puppies brand, that were very popular in the 60's-70's), followed by western boots from age 20-now, first as all-purpose footwear, but now as my "dress-up" wear.

* After I started working in production/maintenance jobs, and when outdoors hunting/fishing/camping-hiking, and while engaged in car hobbies/garage work for fun, I discovered that steel-toed boots were very useful to preserve my toes (after a few incidents, without them). For over 45 years, I've worn them, and when I get a new pair, they become my daily wear (with the older ones stashed as spares in my TTT, and my HHR Panel, and pickup). I tried a set of rubber slip=ons around the house, and also while camping once, but after so many years of wearing the safety boots, I felt vulnerable! So, now until I can't walk anymore, it's steel-toed boots for me, exclusively (steel-toed dress boots, as well).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm

I have lived in several places. I have heard them called thongs, flip flops, and chanclas. Honestly, I think they are better than sneakers for your feet. Its the only time my feet aren't killing me. I wear xero shoes.

These are my faves-

xeroshoes.com/shop/gender/mens/diy-vibram/

These are for the days when I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to wear shoes-

xeroshoes.com/shop/closed-toe-shoes/prio-women/

I also love sketchers, but they don't last as long for the distances I walk.

BUT I HATE HAVING MY FEET COVERED! :x
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 am

We switched long ago to CROCS … much better for our old feet and a modicum of protection from the brush … Last way longer too … I like the common Wal Mart Camo Crocks … Cheap , Light, durable , and I’m not tripping over everything anymore . JMHO

Some time ago we all wore those Water Buffalo sandals ( JC’s ) , the grandfather of the "Thong sandal “

And , at my age , those “Thong swimsuits “ amount to nothing more than “ False Advertising “… “ look but don’t touch” , just a “ TEASE “ !!! ( inappropriate around the campgrounds … IMHO) :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:40 am

GPW wrote: And , at my age , those “Thong swimsuits “ amount to nothing more than “ False Advertising “… “ look but don’t touch” , just a “ TEASE “ !!! ( inappropriate around the campgrounds … IMHO) :NC

Do you shake your cane at the kids to stay off your lawn as well :D :lol: :lol:

just having fun with ya :beer:
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion