Jumper packs

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Jumper packs

Postby Modstock » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:11 pm

I have an opportunity to get a Lion Energy lithium ion jumper pack at a discount. It sells for $145 but I can get it for $80.

Anyone have experience with these , good - bad brands, things to know, etc ???

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Jumper packs

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:01 pm

I dithered over which one to pick up and finally ordered an iClever that'll be here next week.

I rely on Amazon and Youtube reviews. Lion Energy jumpers seem a bit scarce. I see a comment on a Youtube review that they have a bad circuit design that necessitates recharging every month.

:frightened:

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:23 am

So I have one, dont have the brand handy. I do have to charge it every few months, but the time or two I have needed to use it (Jump a friend, jump a tractor) it worked great.
Its amazing the output those little packs can generate
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 am

have one from W-M but have yet to use it - they were carrying 3 different ones in stock (400A-600A-800A) and not knowing anything about any of them?, I bought the 'mid-level power' 'W-M' branded one (600A) for $60. (The other two were the (drag racer) Tony Shumaker branded ones - (looking at them, I do think all 3 of them were made by the same company - just branded differently) They are a nice and small/compact item to have with you 'if/when needed', but knowing my 'luck', if and when I do need one = it will probably still be in the PU truck when I am driving the car (or visa-versa). Maybe need a second one??? maybe................... :thinking:

PS did find a nice sized 'small' plastic Ammo Box (10Lx4Wx7T & 'water tight') at my local 'Coastal' (farm supply store) that it "all" fits inside of (complete with instructions) to store/carry it in - and maybe?, make it 'easier' to 'find it' when I do need it..........
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:55 pm

5:20 PM just got back from WM and I now have 2 of them..... the 'new' 800A version - will be 'parking' it inside in the tow 'PU' - with the less powerful one (600A) going into the Suzuki Swift 'driver'. (now that I have them both, probably will 'never' need them - oh well..... (maybe able to use one for 'jumping' my 'pacemaker' when or if it quits or fails??........ :thinking: )

Again, the 600A (WM brand one) cost $60
and the 800A (Schumacher brand one) cost $80

and as I said = they both look to have been made by the 'same' China manufactory - they look identical and work the same, same buttons, switch's, readout screen, functions, etc........... just different colors...... Take Care PS = and Yes, I do have a pacemaker.......... :roll:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:52 am

Anybody tried them to power “camping things” ??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 am

The Amps output is huge, only because of the very brief duty cycle per crank, the high C-rate drops voltage by a huge delta, but then it has time to recover.

But the Ah capacity is **very** limited.

Enough for phones, tablets etc. But a decent laptop would not be supported for long.

A couple LEDs, a little fan, sure might get a few hours.

But no way a stereo or compressor fridge for more than a couple minutes.

In the end the physics of power density and energy density rule, and the two are opposed to each other.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:15 am

I was given one, a 7500 mAh unit just like this.
In my trailer the inverter charger can get itself stuck into a state where it won't accept shore power when the main battery is dead flat, it needs voltage across the main battery terminals for the transfer switch to move.
I needed a jump so I used that jump pack.

The little jump pack worked but only once. Got very hot and swelled up and broke the case.
I can't blame the jump pack, it died trying, sending huge amps into that much bigger battery. Hundreds of amps.
And it did succeed in it's suicide mission, the transfer switch moved and I had shore power back on line to charge up the main battery.

If I had thought things through (or read the instructions carefully, HA!) I would have known to only leave it connected for less than 5 seconds.
I'll probably buy another and use it correctly next time.

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 am

A couple of Youtube reviews that helped me make a decision:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:08 pm

GPW wrote:Anybody tried them to power “camping things” ??? :thinking:

I have an old Black and Decker that I throw in the truck when we go camping. I have used it to jump start the truck when we left the hatch window open overnight and ran the battery down.

Since we usually camp at electric sites, we have only really needed it to power my CPAP a couple times when power went out at the campground. If it is fully charged, it is good until about 4:00 AM.

By the way, the model we have is no longer available.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 am

If it doesn't fit in your pocket, that's old school and not the topic here.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:I was given one, a 7500 mAh unit just like this.
In my trailer the inverter charger can get itself stuck into a state where it won't accept shore power when the main battery is dead flat, it needs voltage across the main battery terminals for the transfer switch to move.
I needed a jump so I used that jump pack.

The little jump pack worked but only once. Got very hot and swelled up and broke the case.
I can't blame the jump pack, it died trying, sending huge amps into that much bigger battery. Hundreds of amps.
And it did succeed in it's suicide mission, the transfer switch moved and I had shore power back on line to charge up the main battery.

If I had thought things through (or read the instructions carefully, HA!) I would have known to only leave it connected for less than 5 seconds.
I'll probably buy another and use it correctly next time.

LOL!!! I enjoyed reading this post as much as any post I have read to date. Good one ... you cracked me up! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NevadaBlue » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 pm

I just rebuilt (new battery and charger) an old Black & Decker unit. It should run the built in LED for several years... :D The 12 volt outlet is also handy for testing. It WILL be part of my TTT gear. (9 AH sealed battery, should last as long as I do) 8)
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:26 pm

I decided to not get the lion energy jump pack.
I'd probably get a better warranty with a harbor freight unit for the same price. Seems to have good reviews.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:25 pm

I'd probably get a better warranty with a harbor freight unit for the same price. Seems to have good reviews.

Do a Youtube search for Harbor Freight reviews on their jumper packs. I looked at them this way before buying my iClever. (And I do buy from HF.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion