FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby rjgimp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:33 pm

I was completely unfamiliar with this model and just read the wikipedia article. What a nifty car! :beautiful:

Apparently, if this particular unit was originally sold in the US, you might have a bit more oomph than you thought.

From the article:"The V4s used in US cars had a 1500 cc high compression engine with 73 hp (54 kW; 74 PS). For the 1971 model year it was switched to a 1700 cc low compression engine, so as not to lose power while meeting new emissions regulations. Stated power dropped to 65 hp (48 kW; 66 PS) for 1972 as SAE gross figures were abandoned in favor of the lower net ratings. 1973 was the last year that the 96/95 were available in the United States."
:twisted:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 am

Rob , never knew that … COOL !! Thanks !!! 8) :thumbsup:

For a little better story ( and more pictures ) , I keep a car thread going on my Facebook page … https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009558437222
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 am

The much appreciated Cooler weather means the end of another Hurricane season … And Thank Goodness too !!! :worship:
Foamstream will need to be winterized ….which means we’ll look inside , close the door and walk away …for a little while until we get the idea to do some more "fixing up” ... :D But that won’t happen till the Spring most likely , so we have a few months to think about the things we can add to the trailer , and then talk ourselves out of it … :lol:
I can’t believe it’s held up almost 7 years now , living OUTSIDE. :o The longest any camper trailer has ever lasted me , that’s for sure !!! ... :thumbsup:

But I still can’t help thinking about building another trailer … a lower one to fit my New /Old car … Thinking Zephyr still , already have the trailer ..”It’s a Dilly” ... :thinking:
This is the building season … ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Happy Birthday, Glen!

-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks Rob … 71 now !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimbo69ny » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:41 pm

If anyone anyone is interested, here are my videos about how I built my foamie. My video editing skills are minimal so bare with me. It will get better.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... e98uv4rsCT
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:39 am

Jimbo , COOL !!! Thanks for the Videos !!!   We all learn a LOT from each other . :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 am

And it was announced that Hurricane season has ended for this year . Another season (7) the FoamStream has performed as an EVAC vehicle , a ‘home away from home” , and has survived all this time living Outside in the weather , and all the modifications we made to it . :o
Another year proving that Foamies do work and do SURVIVE well outside , something the RV industry could take note of ! JMHO :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:27 am

Back for our new Year trailer inspection …checking inside , all looks good ( the same ) , the baby frogs are gone around the door , still no Ants, or other critters , when I opened the door a lizard jumped in . :o I put him right back out … Underside looks fine , the new board floor still new looking , no dampness or water indicated underneath ( drip edges WORK !!! )
When it warms up a bit we’ll check the wheels / bearings / springs , wiring ( yet again ! ) , and hook it up to the truck and go for a short drive … a “mini- shakedown cruise” to see if it’s ready .
Having all this READY , means I can spend more "last minute" time ( and money) on maintaining my 20 year old Silverado ( the tow vehicle ) .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:49 am

So, just out of curiosity... :thinking:

Over the 7/8 years of the Foamstream's existence, what has been the actual tally of usage? I know the hope and plan is always to not NEED to use it, but if you were to attach a number, how many total miles has it needed to go down the road and how many nights have you spent in it away from home?
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 am

RJ, Well, that’s an easy question … It’s got probably less than 50 miles on it , ( now on it’s second set of tires , and re-greased annually ) other than running up and down my potholed dirt road for “off road “ testing. :R
Being an EVAC trailer , we’ve been DARN Lucky not to have to use it … ( knock wood ) … Aside from that , It’s been a great “peace of mind” for my frail wife , and aside from being Fun to make , just helped reinforced the idea that You can make a larger comfortable Foamie … well proven now , in the harsh NOLA environment … and modifying it as we went along just validates it’s versatility as a structure that can be easily added too or changed as needed .

Nights away from home ??? Does the driveway count ?? hahahahaha ZERO !!! :D I know you folks love Camping , but my current situation doesn’t really allow that . Besides, I used to camp up in the high lonesome in a second hand BS pup tent …some 40–50 years ago … Had access to a spot up from St. Elmo … ( ahh , memories )

But then , there’s always the next Hurricane season , it’s only a matter of time living here on the Gulf Coast … :NC

RJ, our “curse” is one of “Making” , as we’ve been making things since childhood … coincidentally we had much experience with Styrofoam, so sticking that on a trailer seemed Natural , and Thrifty too, well within the skiill level and tool assortment of the average crafter Grandma… Yep!!! Grandma’s have built these !!! True!!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:55 am

RJ, if you can believe it , years ago there were people violently opposed to even the idea of a Foam trailer … Serious , they came for a fight , irresponsibly speculating all the awful things that would happen to a foam trailer on the highway ( turned out all that was BS ) …We had to defend against that … “ Trailer Experts” … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:21 pm

GPW wrote:RJ, if you can believe it , years ago there were people violently opposed to even the idea of a Foam trailer … Serious , they came for a fight , irresponsibly speculating all the awful things that would happen to a foam trailer on the highway ( turned out all that was BS ) …We had to defend against that … “ Trailer Experts” … :o

I can totally believe it! Even though I didn't discover this site until 2018 and wasn't around to witness it firsthand, the posts are still there for all the world to read! :lol: I still come across a post now and again that discounts the strength and viability of foam construction and I find myself rolling up my sleeves ready to do some hard and serious keyboard battle :frustrated: only to realize it happened well over a decade ago. :? :oops: :cry:

I am ready to embark on my own first build and when I discuss it with my bride and/or she sees me studiously picking through this site she usually looks askance at me and shakes her head. :CC I am hopeful she will become a believer (as I am) when we are towing a 16' standie behind our Volvo and it barely needs to drop a gear when we come to a grade. :vroom:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 am

Rob , you’re going to like the way these Foamies Tow …. Like nothing is there … till you look in the rear view mirror ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:36 am

Just don't let it get **too** lightweight

especiallyif driving at high speeds and / or in high-wind conditions especially in exposed mountain passes / tunnel exits.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies