Going camping with baler twin.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Going camping with baler twin.

Postby Modstock » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Oh.... Bailer twine.
I keep some in my tool bag, just in case.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:23 am

We also, in addition to strings, para-cords, and ropes, keep a small roll of “ Mechanics wire “ … very useful … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am

* Of course, we all carry along many of the tools/items we have always used in our jobs (vocations), and learned that they were indispensable in all aspects of our lives over the years: nylon cable ties (zip ties), baling wire, and duct tape (gaffing tape) among them, but the things that we also used in our other hobbies (avocations) also became absolutely necessary when camping: bungee cords of all sizes, ratchet/tie-down straps (of all sizes, too), and cable locks (usually vinyl-wrapped wire cable).

* When camping, I carry along most of the same tools I would take along to drag racing venues (where I was always a help to fellow racers, due to having extra hardware, common supplies, and quick-fix items that I'd loan to all). I usually found that the little things that were needed in my job, around the house, when racing, and around the house, were always very useful at camp, too. I can't imagine not having all my bungees, tie downs, etc. at camp...there's no way I could set-up!

* My "camping indispensables" inventory includes 8-10 jacking devices, a cordless Milwaukee tool set (impact, drill-driver, and sawzall), three sets (at least) of hand tools with many sockets, 2-3 sets of electrical tools (meters, pliers, screwdrivers, tape, wire/strippers, heat shrink butt-connectors, heat gun, etc), air compressor, multiple hammer types, pry bars, brass drift, wire rope, two battery chargers, Gorilla tape, three heavy-duty and two light-duty cable locks, and of course dozens of bungee cords and tie-downs and zip-ties. It may take awhile to find exactly what I might need for any problem, but I'm pretty sure I can find it, eventually.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:39 am

I always carry strong string on a camping trip. I prefer bright colored mason line string. It's nearly as strong as paracord and rolls up much smaller.

For many years when I camped by tent or trailer I've carried a quart size zip lock baggie I call my "MacGyvor kit", a set of items that can fix lots of different troubles in the field.
When my children got old enough to start tent camping without me I would always make them a MacGyvor kit and hand it to them as they drove away.
They soon stopped laughing about it and started asking for one. "Dad, can you make me a McGyvor kit?"

- 50 feet of masons twine
- a dozen medium zip ties
- half a roll of electrical tape
- a cheap pair of plain pliers (did you know they all have a wire cutter built in?)
- a couple small cheap throw away screwdrivers, one slotted one Phillips
- a tube of superglue
- 10 feet of plain picture hanging wire
- a few drywall screws
- an extra small butane lighter
- half a yellow wooden pencil
- a little cheap penknife, new and sharp. The key chain Swiss army knife is perfect.

The most often used item is that string.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion