Wiring for different tow vehicles

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring for different tow vehicles

Postby Sam I am » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:26 am

Hey, guys,
I just started building my teardrop, but I'm looking ahead to the trailer light wiring and I think I see a potential problem. I have two vehicles, and I would like to be able to tow the tear with either one of them. One is a 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, and the other is a 1996 Ford Ranger pickup. The problem (maybe) is that the Ranger has separate amber turn signal lights, and the Sebring does not. The wiring harness with the trailer frame is a four wire, four flat connector type. It seems like an easy match to the Sebring, but will the ranger's separate signals cause a problem? Should I go to a 6 or 7 wire system? Suggestions? Thanks.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:50 am

You need a Hoppy #40215 for your Ranger. It just plugs in.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:03 pm

Sam, there is a plug in wiring harness for your Ranger that will work...if you can't find one locally at an auto parts house or a large U-Haul place then try someone like etrailer.com, etrailerparts.com or redneck trailer supplies....these harnesses have a logic circuit to take care ofn the seperate light problem.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sam I am » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:39 pm

Madjack, I assume you mean the Hoppy #40215 that Rainjer referred to. I'll check it out. Plugging in beats splicing wires any time! Thanks to both of you!
BTW, I ordered LED type tail lights, and will get LED side lights to minimize the current load on the tow vehicle's system. I'm thinking of adding an LED high brake light for more safety too.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 pm

Sam, I wasn't referring to any specific brand BUT here is one example for a '96 Ford Ranger...
click here .....most trailer supply places will sell similar as will auto parts house such as NAPA...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:52 pm

I've had them on a 88,92, and a 01 Ranger. They work great.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Wiring

Postby dahoon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:33 am

Madjack,

You spelled NAPA but I think yoiu meant to say Carquest. lol

A 4-wire plug will work fine. But, if you want to have a battery charging circuit or brakes on your trailer you should go to a 7-wire plug(it's become industry standard).

Hoppy makes excellant plug and play adapters (also found at your local Carquest store hehe)

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:52 am

Sam I am wrote:I'm thinking of adding an LED high brake light for more safety too.

As this question seems to have been answered, I'll go for a thread hijack: is there any evidence that a third brake light helps? I'm aware that they were originally extremely effective, for example in tests on New York cabs, but I wonder if that was just the novelty effect. It would be interesting to know if there is any sign that they remain effective now that every vehicle has one.

The problem with inattentive motorists is that they are inattentive, and not that they can't see.......

However there may be a good reason to fit a third light to many teardrops as their existing lights are often low and set forward, and so at least one of them may be out of sight to a following driver.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:14 pm

A, I don't know what the statistics say but for myself...since the 3rd light is off and then springs on when braking occurs, it catches my attention more than the regular brake light...take that and a couple r 3bucks and you can buy a cuppa coffee most places....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:35 pm

angib wrote:
Sam I am wrote:I'm thinking of adding an LED high brake light for more safety too.

As this question seems to have been answered, I'll go for a thread hijack: is there any evidence that a third brake light helps? I'm aware that they were originally extremely effective, for example in tests on New York cabs, but I wonder if that was just the novelty effect. It would be interesting to know if there is any sign that they remain effective now that every vehicle has one.

The problem with inattentive motorists is that they are inattentive, and not that they can't see.......

However there may be a good reason to fit a third light to many teardrops as their existing lights are often low and set forward, and so at least one of them may be out of sight to a following driver.

Andrew

Eventually, I intend to install a 3rd brake light in the center of my galley hatch. It's from the old trailer and has one of those lenses that lights up the word "stop" when lit. If that doesn't get the attention of the inattentive motorists, I'd have to say they are hopeless.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Andrew and MJ,

I find the 3rd brake light extremely effective. Usually it is placed higher than the brake lights which I find helpful in rush hour traffic where, in most cases, you cannot see the regular brake lights come on when the vehicle in front of the one you are following steps on the brakes, but you can usually see the 3rd brake light through the windows.

Just my 2 bits worth. :thinking:
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Melvin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm

angib wrote: is there any evidence that a third brake light helps? I'm aware that they were originally extremely effective, for example in tests on New York cabs, but I wonder if that was just the novelty effect. It would be interesting to know if there is any sign that they remain effective now that every vehicle has one.

If nothing else there are more bulbs that have to burn out before the twit you are following has no brake lights. Many a time I've pulled up behind someone and of the three brake light units only the CHMSL is illuminated and sometimes even 1/2 or 2/3rd of that is burned out.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets