Paint for PMF?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Paint for PMF?

Postby Alpha95 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi all. First post here but I have been looking through the forum for the past week now and looking at different ways everyone has been building their tear drop caravans and doing PMF. My question is the type of paint I should use and do I really need titebond or is this really just an adhesive? Currently I am going to use foam on the back of a boat with a thin wooden frame for an extra cabin that we will be using for anywhere between the next 6 to 12 months until we move onto our 'big boat'.
I am just wondering if using cheap paint under the name of Mythic Exterior Paint is substantial enough with 10oz drop cloth (easier to find than the 8oz I've seen used on this forum). It is listed as a Acrylic Latex based paint and is relatively cheap.
This is sort of a test build at best as it will be temporary accommodation (£60 a month mooring fee rather than £1400 rent just until we move onto our bigger boat), at a later date when we move workshop again with a yard I already have 2 trailers suitable to turn into teardrop caravans and have wanted to build one for awhile now.
Any advice would be great before I dive in!
Thanks
Alpha95
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Paint for PMF?

Postby pchast » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Any exterior rated paint should do the job IMHO.
Latex preferred...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MJWBuffalo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:08 am

I too have been wondering about the type of paint.

In my case specifically, I would like to use Rustoleum enamel. Why? I like the high gloss, my colors are standard and the coloring is done in the factory so I know I can touch up with another can off the shelf down the road and it will match (in theory). I'm also a fan of the toughness of enamel.

Has anyone used Rustoleum High Performance Protective Enamel Paint over PMF? What were the results?

Matt
MJWBuffalo
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Do a test panel. You may not like how glossy paint looks over the PMF texture.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets