Starleen2's #7

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Starleen2's #7

Postby starleen2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am

After a long self imposed hiatus on building, I finally have clearance from Mrs Starleen2 to build # 7. Our adventure into New England meant that we had to sell the Texas trailer. We only used it twice in four years and you had to take the axle off to get it in the garage and out of the heavy snow. Now we have a much bigger garage and milder climate. Also my needs have changed somewhat - where there used to be three of us - there are now going to be six,(4 adults - two grandkids) so this will no be a small build nor do I want it to be a full sized Camper either. I do like the appearance of a small slipstream vs the full sized RV's. This one is going to be a 12 footer. Before we left Texas I built a small 12 footer for a friend with a dropped floor so I kind of have an idea of what to build. I plan on using an existing trailer frame, skinning the exterior with aluminum, and the roof will be edpm rubber roofing material Space will be tight with all of us. Remember we only use the camper to sleep in and get out the rain when necessary - most of the time we are sitting outdoors under an easy - up canopy :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Starleen2's #7

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Kids and grands can be intents. Good to see your back.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Scott,
Good to hear from you! I look forward to your build.
Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Okay here we go. About 6 months ago I purchased a 1996 Starcraft Star Lounge 1224 pop-up camper. I had the intention of using it as such. It was long enough it could accommodate my full family. However I do not like the idea of having so much canvas against a good Southern thunderstorm.

A thorough inspection revealed that the entire roof structure was rotted in needed to be replaced. The lower end of the unit was an excellent condition despite its age. Chris and I set out to replace the top to its original condition. Sorry do not have any pictures for the roof detail.

after finishing the roof, I read about a hard side Apache pop up. I decided this was the way that we were going to go. Not only would it provide protection against thunderstorms, it was also offer a superior level of security.

The walls will be 2.5 mm plywood, 1 inch wood framing, sandwich foam construction to conserve weight. The plan is to have the walls fasten in such way that they easily collapse for storage inside the camper

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby steve cowan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Don't know if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=64782#p1151089

Pretty neat idea of what you plan to do.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 pm

steve cowan wrote:Don't know if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=64782#p1151089

Pretty neat idea of what you plan to do.

Yes I had seen that one and it served as inspiration for my build (Similar wall construction)...the only exception is that I intend to fully take advantage of the slide out feature of the pop up bedding. :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am

Scott,

I like where you're going on your design. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

We are looking at something similar in size but for two people + "amenities". Considered a pop-up, but agree with your reasons why they are a challenge in the south. Maybe I can get enough knowledge from your build to try something similar.

Congrats on the grand kids. Our first is due in March.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby starleen2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm

aggie79 wrote:Scott,
Congrats on the grand kids. Our first is due in March.
Take care,
Tom

Tom, grandkids are everything you were told they would be - without all the fuss. I get to see mine everyday and they are the joy of my life :)

Today I finished the cabinet doors on the camper. tried to paint them, but the finish wasn't quite right. I could have replaced them, but why?? Decided vinyl wrap them instead(front and back)
Even sprayed the hardware to give a fresh appearance
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby starleen2 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:32 am

12 ft X 7 ft Hard Side pop up camper
Get the best of both worlds - the portability of a pop up and the security of a hard sides. No more worries about ripped canvases or leaking seams. When not in use, just collapse and store. Will fit in most garages and is light weight - so can be towed by almost any vehicle. I have spent many nights, up to three weeks in this camper - through thunderstorms and sunny days with no problems.

4 pin wiring harness
1 7/8 ball
20 ft 110 v electrical cord
New 13” tires plus spare
Mini refrigerator
Microwave
Full bed (front)
Queen bed (rear)
12v LED lighting
12v vented ceiling fan
110 volt window Air conditioner
Plenty of storage under the beds
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Scott,

It's good to hear from you! What a fantastic build (again)! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I assume the little ones are grandkids. They sure look like a lot of fun! We are enjoying spending time with our grandson.

Could you answer a question about your latest build please? I see that the sidewalls and endwalls are hinged. What is the purpose of what looks like outside fabric wraps on the ends? Are they to seal off the "joins" of the sidewalls and endwalls?

I'm asking because I may want to build something similar in the future. We no longer have our teardrop - I gave it to Thomas - and have purchased a used travel trailer. While we really like it, we don't like how it tows (primarily due to wind resistance). I had been thinking about building something like your latest to combat the wind resistance.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby starleen2 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm

aggie79 wrote:Could you answer a question about your latest build please? I see that the sidewalls and endwalls are hinged. What is the purpose of what looks like outside fabric wraps on the ends? Are they to seal off the "joins" of the sidewalls and endwalls?

Yes Tom you are correct. the fabric is heavy automotive vinyl with Velcro sewed on one side. The other side is stapled to the sidewall. The flaps extend below the wall and to the height of the wall. the roof is then lowered down to create a cap over the top of the flap, thus waterproofing the edges and also hiding the raising mechanism.

as you can see from this picture (click to expand) how the flaps seal the gaps (also note the view from window , that is the roof cap that extends over the top of the window, again sealing and waterproofing)

Also note the the locking hasp in the upper corner that holds both walls together. In this picture I made a curtain that velcos to cover the gap on the inside to make it more a more pleasing interior.

I have another that I built using the same technique and donor camper, but this one only for two - it had more room in the front for cabinets and changing area. these sure are are easy to tow and have great headroom!

one it is up and locked together, it is very stable!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Member Designs