Walk the Winds , July 30 to August 2. 2020

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Re: Walk the Winds , July 30 to August 2. 2020

Postby sagebrush » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:15 pm

:D
Here is the guest list as of July 16
Sagebrush
Aviatorbrew
Sparksalot
Cindy & RobFisher
Cap'n Telescope
Wolfgang
Lee & Norma
Wood butcher
JoeB (sideboards)
Glenn (I just made that up) & Opal
Carolyn & Dan
Jen123
Mary & Steve
Micki
John
Josh
Charles M
Photophobic

Looking GREAT :D
See you all ar New Fork Lake :thumbsup:

Will
Last edited by sagebrush on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:15 pm

Still hoping to attend! BIG 3500+ miles round trip!

This might not be the place for this request, but, it might be good to not get a bazillion answers. I recognize many of the WTWs participants from guiding me as I built my TD. I value their opinions. So, I want to create a list of preventative maint. tasks before the trip and hope that you can suggest anything I might have overlooked. And, I hope this might help others get prepared for the long road.

My TD is going on five years old. Probably about 5k miles total. I'll have brand new wheels/tires installed in early July.

- Inspect/repack hub bearings
- Inspect/adjust brake pads
- Trace brake electrical system for wear
- inspect battery bank and connections (Batteries are one to four years old, well balanced and maintain good voltage. They are on a charge controller 24/7/365)

- TV oil/filter change
- TV tire inspection
- TV to Mechanic for steering and suspension inspection.
- Determine if an additional AT fluid cooler is needed ('15 Ford Escape, Ford forum says don't bother. Computers in vehicle will take care of the transmission :thinking: )

- Check propane gas inventory, condiments inventory, sawdust inventory ;)
- Empty TD of non-essential gear
- Check fridge operation
-
-

Thanks, Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:50 pm

It seems like you have the bases covered. I do most of the same things. I have a CB radio in my Jeep and when we travel in a group we bring walkie talkies to communicate. Anything that can help you in a break down is valuable.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Appears to me you have it pretty well covered. :thumbsup:

There are groceries available in Pinedale, just kinda pricey :o

If you run short on sawdust, no worries, I have a chainsaw and spare chain. :lol:

Best way to start a long trip like that is to hitch TD to TV :lol:

Hope to place your name on guest list.

Will

sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:46 pm

TimC wrote:hope that you can suggest anything I might have overlooked.

Depending on the TV's mileage, it might appreciate a change of tranny fluid. I did that before my Alaska trip and nothing bad happened... :NC :roll:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby sagebrush » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 am

:D I just spoke with a nice lady at the town of Pinedale.
She said everything was pretty much back to normal there.

We should have a GREAT time.(I wasn't about to disagree with her)

Acquatic center is open so we can get store bought showers if needed. $7 or $5 for geezers.(I resemble that!)

See you all at New Fork Lake in July.

Will

sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Good news Will. I was out camping for the first time last weekend and we all had a great time. Might have another one join us.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jen123 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:As long as you pack for three seasons you will be fine. I've been to this gathering twice before and sleeping has always been comfortable.

Mountains. . . always be ready for four seasons. :R
Jen123
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jen123 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Can you suggest a good video for the inspect/repack hub bearings?

- Inspect/repack hub bearings
- Inspect/adjust brake pads
- Trace brake electrical system for wear
- inspect battery bank and connections (Batteries are one to four years old, well balanced and maintain good voltage. They are on a charge controller 24/7/365)

- TV oil/filter change
- TV tire inspection
- TV to Mechanic for steering and suspension inspection.
- Determine if an additional AT fluid cooler is needed ('15 Ford Escape, Ford forum says don't bother. Computers in vehicle will take care of the transmission :thinking: )

- Check propane gas inventory, condiments inventory, sawdust inventory ;)
- Empty TD of non-essential gear
- Check fridge operation
-
-

Thanks, Tim[/quote]
Jen123
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Jen123 wrote:Can you suggest a good video for the inspect/repack hub bearings?

I don't know of one, but, I'm sure it would be easy to find one on youtube. The following describes my trailer wheel repack process...

-I don't use any expensive grease injectors or cleaners. Gasoline (or better yet kerosene) will eventually dissolve the old grease. Look for pitting on the roller bearings and the races after they are clean. Races are the wedges inside your hub that the angled bearing face rides on. There's a race on each end of the hub for the outer bearing and inner bearing. If you see pits or discoloring/staining during or after cleaning just discard them and get a new set of bearings, races, seals, cotter pins and maybe new hub caps if needed, Keep an old one in your tool kit in case you lose one on the road. It might be ugly but it will protect your bearings. If replacing them take your old cleaned bearings and other parts with you to an auto supply to make sure you get the correct sizes. It's not a bad idea to keep at least one old, but serviceable set in your tool kit for emergencies.

-Clean the cotter pins, flat washer, castle nut and axle spindles as well.

-I use the greasy palm method. Put a big blob of grease in your palm and pack grease through the open ends of the roller bearings by rubbing it into the grease blob. When grease oozes out the opposite end move farther around the bearing. Wipe the races and axle spindle with a greasy rag leaving just a thin layer of grease. Too much grease attracts extra road grit. If you do yearly repacking you want minimal extra grease.

-Reinstall the inside bearing into the inside of the hub. Install the new seal by lining it up with the hub, tapping on a block of wood to protect the seal and keep it lined up with the inside of the hub.

-Slip the wheel on the spindle and install the outside bearing, backing washer and castle nut. I hand tighten the nut on the spindle after everything is reassembled. Then give the nut a very light turn with a wrench to make sure everything is seated. Turn the wheel by hand. Back off the nut and re-tighten by hand only until you have the least amount of play that allows you to insert the cotter pin.

-Give the wheel a little shake. It should not move. You might feel a very slight amount of play. To much is bad. Too little is not much better. Again, hand tighten the nut so that it has the least amount of play that allows you to install the cotter pin. They are "castle" nuts. They give you several spots to anchor them with the cotter pin.

- And, if you have aluminum rims, be sure to re-tighten the lug nuts after 50 miles or so. They may be loose.

Hope this helps. At the very least check your bearings once a year. It's pretty easy and gets you in practice for when you or someone else needs help on the road.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Four inches of snow you say. Always dress for the 4 seasons in Wyoming. :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Just something of interest but national weather service reports 4 inches of new snow above pinedale this moring. Thought it was interesting

This is why I put R8 insulation in my teatrop.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Build thread: Here
Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 pm

We had two hard frosts in the last ten days. And we're at only 1k elevation. It sure knocked down the flying needles. Was worth covering the garden. So I'm ok with some cool weather.
Tim
Niagara, WI

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 pm

In Wyoming we have July 4th and winter, but sometimes it snows during the fireworks :R
Don't forget to pack your snowshoes

Probably frost tonight here on Casper Mtn

See you all at New Fork Lake :D :thumbsup:
Will

sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby marymccartney5 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:50 am

Hello! I would love to attend the Walk the Winds gathering. Could you please sign me up and let me know how to pay?

Thanks,
Mary
marymccartney5
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to North Central