air conditioning has any one tried this/

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

air conditioning has any one tried this/

Postby tully83 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:09 pm

I ran across this today has anyone tried it?

http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_house_a ... tioner.htm
tully83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:45 pm

It has been tried. Price is the main issue. Do a search for forum discussion.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: air conditioning has any one tried this/

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm

tully83 wrote:I ran across this today has anyone tried it?

Hi tully, Welcome to the forum. I have one of those built in my tear. Check out my WWW and you can see how I did it. It works great.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:27 pm

For the same money, I would buy the portable AC unit that Pep Boys sells.

Small and portable, and easy to leave home or shlep with you.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Ira wrote:For the same money, I would buy the portable AC unit that Pep Boys sells.

Small and portable, and easy to leave home or shlep with you.

Ira, don't know if you have ever read the specs but for the same money, the Petcool is small, portable, easy to leave home or shlep around with you when needed and it includes heat for those that don't live amongst the Coral and Gables...oh yeah, and it is made to sit outside...can the PEP Boys unit be left out in the rain.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:35 pm

If one of those had been available last week at the Vail Lake Trailer/Hot Rod gathering, I would own it right now. Anything is better than 115 deg. Took my old dog to the shower and damn near killed her with the shock of cold water. :o Good thing she revived, my cooler was full of ice and good stuff, no room for a stiff dog :shock:
I have ac in my teear but the old Kenskill needs some help. Main problem is all the windows that open are louvered. Maybe I can come up with an answer by the time Money Elf visits me again. :worship:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:26 am

I think the Pep Boy unit is non-venting, but I'm not sure. Guess you're right Jack, especially when it comes to my climate, but I like the portability of that Pep Boys thing.

MY KINGDOM FOR A TINY 50-BUCK 1000 BTU AC!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: air conditioning has any one tried this/

Postby Chris C » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:33 am

tully83 wrote:I ran across this today has anyone tried it?

PM Kai..............he has a PetCool and loves it.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Tear Fan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:38 am

Tully83 -

The PetCool unit has a lot of advantages, as MadJack said. Jennifer and I are going to purchase one very soon. We will run ducting under the galley of our Yoder Toter 5X8, up through the galley on the back wall that is joint with the cabin, then through that wall into the cabin. The unit will sit remote from the teardrop, and won't produce any vibration. As also stated, it is a heater for winter camping. By virtue of its size - 2k or 2.5k BTU - it will run long enough to pull the humidity out, which is the main culprit on these incredibly hot day. All in all, I think it is perfectly suited for teardrop aplication until the next good thing comes along. :fan:
Marvin
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:04 am

I have one, actually I have the 2000btu version, I pulled my tear out this past weekend and let it set for a couple of hours. It was in the 100 degree range. I turned the a/c on and after about 45minutes went out to see how it was doing.

It was cool inside so I climbed in. I wanted to see what the sound factor was like and to see if opening the door had a large effect. As I lay there it made a nice blowing sound from the duct, but didn't annoy me from the unit itself, needless to say I feel asleep.

I feel like it was a sucessful test even though it never got cold inside, I figure if I can take a nap on a 100 deg day at 2:30 in the afternoon thats good enough.

P-mail me if you want to know the details of how I duct it into the tear

Mc
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:56 pm

I wasn't thinking that I wanted to deal with putting any type of ac in my tear at all until this past weekend. It was miserably hot and humid, and I ended up sleeping in my basement just to stay cool. Now I really am thinking about adding one of these Petcools to my build, but I have to figure out how to do it. I am a bit of an ac dunce. I don't have the slightest clue how to deal with installing one of these. I have been staring at Kai's and SteveT's build photos madly trying to figure it all out. I get that there are two ducts that will go into the tear, for inflow of air and outflow of air. But in Kai's photos it looks like he has one duct going down out through the floor. I am getting a little confused as to where the return air should be coming from (since I thought it was supposed to come from inside the tear). I am also trying to figure out what would be needed to do the thermostat set-up that Kai has in his. Steve, you have vents on the side of your tear, and I am assuming that is for heat dispersal, correct? I also saw in another post that you are draining the condensation out through the floor with a tube, so that answers my question regarding what to do with the condensation build-up. Steve, from the photos it also looks like you have it set up on some styrofoam underneath and between it and the outside wall, is that correct? How do you keep it secure in there (ie. do you use metal straps to hold in in place)? Agh, I am so confused, and I really want to figure this all out. :?

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi Amy Here's how I did it.
On the petcool you can see the vents. The one on top is the cold air output the on on the bottom is the return air input.
This one unlike window AC's on the outside pull air in the rear and discharge the heated air out of the right side. The controls are in the front.
I drilled two holes for the vent's through the galley bulkhead. I put 2 2' rubber pvc connectors thru the holes. I mounted the unit on a shelf right above my water tank. the 2" rubber connectors match up to the petcool's vents. I cut holes in the side for the hot air to vent and used boat bilge vents. The unit is mounted on high density foam on all sides to dampen the vibration.
Inside the output comes out in the wire raceway. I put a 2" pvc pipe 90 to a 3" pipe with a y on the end(not shown in this pic). Then ran a pool hose from the each end of the thru the raceway and in the back of the cabinets to a vent in the top. I used 2 Porshe vent's I got off ebay.
The intake is right below the raceway and covered with a speaker grill with a filter in it.
It works great and will get it cold enough to frost the windows. Inside all I hear is the air coming out of the vent's. The bulkhead is 2" thick with 1 1/2" insulation.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Steve, thanks for the detail, that helps tremendously. If I understood correctly, you have the output branched off to two vents and the intake is below your wire race facing into the cabin. I get that you are venting the heat out the side, but I remember reading in another post that you don't completely shut the galley hatch. Is that to ensure there is enough airflow in the galley to help cool the unit? I am wondering if there is a way to do this without having to keep the galley lid open in any way. :thinking: BTW Steve, your tear looks awesome!! I like the way you did the kayak rack, very nice! :thumbsup:

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:03 am

AmyH wrote: Is that to ensure there is enough airflow in the galley to help cool the unit? I am wondering if there is a way to do this without having to keep the galley lid open in any way.
Amy

Amy thanks for the kudo's. I was going to put matching vent's on the other side of the tear or put inake vent's under the stove slider but decided it was just as easy to leave the hatch cracked. It only has to be opened about an inch. As you can see in this pic it draws air around the stove. It sits directly behind it.

Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:19 am

Damn, is that galley nice.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to General Discussion