Rate my chassis plan, Frame passed inspection and tagged

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Rate my chassis plan, Frame passed inspection and tagged

Postby saltydawg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Okay, the plan is for a 6 foot wide 10 foot long trailer. Current plan is for 2 2x3 .120 A frame with the A frame legs measuring 10' going back to about the axle location. 2 main rails 2x3 .083 running the length of the trailer at the axle attachment width. Out riggers and cross beams made from 2x3.5 .083 to the full width with 1.5 angle running down the outside of the out riggers. 2 foot centers on cross supports.I know I will need to add some metal at the axle location

Final weight I want no more than 1200 lbs, minor offroad ability mostly just dirt roads no rock crawling.

Cabin will be sip panels, with a perimeter frame on corners and top edge made from 1x1 .083. by my math basic frame weight should be 200lb or so, and another 50 or so for cabin frame.
Last edited by saltydawg on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: Rate my chassis plan, and make pointers

Postby Squigie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 pm

No immediate issues come to mind.
The weight estimate sounds fairly reasonable. Add axle, tires, wheels, stabilizers/jacks, chains, etc., and I think you'll be looking at 425-475 lb for a rolling frame that's ready for a cabin.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Re: Rate my chassis plan, and make pointers

Postby saltydawg » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Well sense i did not want to start another thread, I will use this as my frame build thread.

The basic frame plan is being done as I stated in the OP. Well tonight I cut the rear of the main frame at the angle needed for the rear wall to sit on, and cut the rear end cross member to length and I tacked it on. Now I have a new welder coming this week, for now I am using my flux core. Then I cut 3 of the middle cross members length, and squared the frame up, then tacked one more cross member in, and tweeked the frame square. Next I tacked 2 more cross members in, and I tacked a diagonal brace to hold it square.

I drilled holes thru the main frame where a cross member will go so I can use the frame to carry the wiring running, lights, brakes etc. This will allow me to put side running lights with no wires exposed as they will run down inside the frame then go out thru the out rigger to the side.. I will be putting in plastic bushings to protect the wires , then weld the cross member and out rigger over the hole so it will be reinforced.

I Did the frame upside down just so it was easy to make the rear support where I want it for elevation.

So when I decided I was done I was looking at the frame going I wonder if my tack welds are strong enough to let me flip the frame. I have to get the plastic bushings tomorrow, so I could not weld the last cross member in yet. As I was getting ready to come in the house I noticed one of the saw horses was not sitting straight, so I went to move it, well the whole frame went crashing to the ground. Well lets say, yes my tacks where strong enough to flip the frame, because not a single weld popped and the frame is still square, so I know the flux core worked.

Lastly I will be spraying the inside of the frame with a frame coating to protect before it gets all sealed up.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: Rate my chassis plan, and make pointers frame started

Postby jamorgan3777 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:10 am

Would love some pictures when you get the chance!
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rate my chassis plan, and make pointers frame started

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:02 am

jamorgan3777 wrote:Would love some pictures when you get the chance!

I have pics over at expedition portal, for some reason thats where i have been posting em.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/thre ... ad.217954/
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: Rate my chassis plan, Frame passed inspection and tagge

Postby saltydawg » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Okay the frame is legally tagged and inspected. First mva kind of sucked, had to make an appointment to show pics and pay tax on all the materials that where used. Its an excise tax, not sales tax so its another 6%, then pay for title and vin plate, then pay for tags. After going there they where not happy with one of the pics, so I had to run home and take another and go back. Well 3 hours sense the first arrival at mva I left with tags and the vin plate. Today I took it to get inspected and it passed with flying colors, and the guy who did the inspection was impressed with the build. He stated the design is great and the tongue was super strong.

So all legal, this week end body panels start going on.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:54 pm

saltydawg wrote:Okay the frame is legally tagged and inspected. First mva kind of sucked, had to make an appointment to show pics and pay tax on all the materials that where used. Its an excise tax, not sales tax so its another 6%, then pay for title and vin plate, then pay for tags. After going there they where not happy with one of the pics, so I had to run home and take another and go back. Well 3 hours sense the first arrival at mva I left with tags and the vin plate. Today I took it to get inspected and it passed with flying colors, and the guy who did the inspection was impressed with the build. He stated the design is great and the tongue was super strong.

So all legal, this week end body panels start going on.

Nevada? Good on ya.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:49 pm

twisted lines wrote:Nevada? Good on ya.

Maryland
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets