Truck camper build.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck camper build.

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:58 am

I know you want roof-top solar, yet why not ground based? Still could use the roof to transport.. I used to carry a 130w panel that was ground based, I didn't wish to park the camper the sun for the solar! It worked well for us. I've gone to DC/DC charging now and no longer carry any solar, but I also don't stay put for more than a couple days.
RJ Howell
500 Club

Re: Truck camper build.

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:11 am

What I like most of this roof design is there's no separate sections to be fussed with! It all goes up together! Con is the weight and friction of the slides as they raise, meaning it probably needs those struts to get it up.. and it has to be retracted from inside (might be able to raise outside..). This is one of the reasons many of the 4wd campers are going with vinyl sides, weather/water proof and flexible.

My duck cloth sides are not the best solution, yet I could (with struts) open and close from outside. Same could be said for separate panels. Extra con to separate panels would be setting up/breaking down in the rain.

I'm happy with my duck cloth sides, especially now that I've re-treated the cloth! That first tropical storm showed the weakness (wicking at the base), now that doesn't happen!!
RJ Howell
500 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies