Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Karebru's 7x16 Build Log

Postby ris » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 pm

That is for sure a nice looking conversion. Glad you had a good outing. Hope to see you out camping in our state parks someday.
Richard
Frostproof Fl.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks, Guys!
We're keeping a list of wants and needs to improve things as we go along. That's half the fun. Overall, it works pretty well.
I want a detachable, outdoor TV antenna. She wants things like a hand soap pump. ;)
We'll see you out there someday, Richard. :thumbsup:
Everyone looks packed over Thanksgiving weekend. If you're not picky and don't mind camping with a [BEEP] mask on, the choices open up some. (Depends on local orders.)
We'll wait.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby t-bear » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm

@Karebru

First, awesome job and true inspiration. Couple quick questions:

1. Do you still remove the exhaust vent cover when using your AC? Have you tried running the AC with the exhaust vent in place since you baffled it?

2. Anything you'd change on your AC box/baffle system?

3. Do you know your trailer's loaded weight?

Thank you very much!
t-bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby t-bear » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:51 pm

@Karebru

First, awesome job and true inspiration. Couple quick questions:

1. Do you still remove the exhaust vent cover when using your AC? Have you tried running the AC with the exhaust vent in place since you baffled it?

Thank you very much!
t-bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karebru » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 am

t-bear wrote:@Karebru

First, awesome job and true inspiration.
Thank you. :)
Couple quick questions:

The baffling made all the difference in the world. So far, we've spent one night in the camper using the AC. It was a muggy, low to mid 80s evening when we closed up and turned it on. It quickly brought it down to the low 70s. Once we were in for the night, I turned it down from high cool to low cool. I did not remove the vents.

Time will tell. So far, so good. We aren't going to be inside during the day unless it's raining. So it's mainly for night time use. It might have to stay on high cool, but I think we'll be fine even on mid-summer nights.

I am curious to see how much I've added to the empty dry weight. I haven't taken it to a scale yet, but I really should. My mid-size truck does pretty well, but I'd have bought another full-size if I knew I'd be doing this with it. I'd rather be well below limits than "acceptably within"... I'm hoping to find a weight distribution hitch under the Christmas tree.

Thank you very much!
Thank you for asking!
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby t-bear » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Karebru wrote:
t-bear wrote:@Karebru

First, awesome job and true inspiration.
Thank you. :)
Couple quick questions:

The baffling made all the difference in the world. So far, we've spent one night in the camper using the AC. It was a muggy, low to mid 80s evening when we closed up and turned it on. It quickly brought it down to the low 70s. Once we were in for the night, I turned it down from high cool to low cool. I did not remove the vents.

Time will tell. So far, so good. We aren't going to be inside during the day unless it's raining. So it's mainly for night time use. It might have to stay on high cool, but I think we'll be fine even on mid-summer nights.

I am curious to see how much I've added to the empty dry weight. I haven't taken it to a scale yet, but I really should. My mid-size truck does pretty well, but I'd have bought another full-size if I knew I'd be doing this with it. I'd rather be well below limits than "acceptably within"... I'm hoping to find a weight distribution hitch under the Christmas tree.

Thank you very much!
Thank you for asking!

@Karebru Thanks for your time and anwering!
t-bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BigDave_185 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 am

I think that spirits drawer is top notch. Made for just the right size bottles!! Amen.

That quilt looks great to on the bed and the screen that provides a perfect view of the outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks,Big Dave! :beer:

We just did a quick, pre-holiday, two-nighter... Koreshan State Park, again.
I had to decorate a little bit.

I was able to confirm that my trailer is water tight... A front came through, and it rained hard ALL night Sunday, without a drop getting inside. :thumbsup:
Monday night was "cold." (Whatever... Cold to us... 38.) A new ceramic space heater worked like a champ, but the un-insulated floor was uncomfortable to our bare feet. I wouldn't want to travel very far north this time of year, without insulating it.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby rebar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:26 pm

I like it! Im looking for a 7x16 as well.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks, rebar.
I am happy with the size.
Mine turned out to be more camper than toy-hauler, but it wouldn't take too much design change to give it more cargo space.

Merry Christmas, Y'all! :)
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Karebru » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:19 pm

A little bump for this tired old thread...
Mid-April already? :o
Next month, we're planning on dragging the camper down to Ft. Myers Beach for a few nights at the Red Coconut. Family from the Atlanta area will be renting a house just down the road for the week.
I't'll be nice to spend some time together while still having our own space. ;)

Well, there wasn't a weight distribution hitch under the Christmas tree.
I got a tongue weight scale a few weeks ago so I could determine what I needed, and UPS delivered a Curt short-arm unit today. It should just fit my very short tongue without having to order side mounted chain hangers.
Holy cow! There's a lot of weight to all this iron! I guess the 87 lbs. needs to be added in to my behind-the-rear-axle, total tongue weight calculations...
Looks like, light weight stuff only in the truck bed and heaviest stuff getting loaded in the very back of the trailer. :thinking: Shouldn't be a problem.
I've never used a WDH. So setting it up will be a fun learning experience.
Wish me luck. :poop:
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby foxontherun » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 am

Karebru wrote:Good morning,
I've never used a WDH. So setting it up will be a fun learning experience.

Good luck with the hitch; no experience with that and hope I don't need one when I get finished, ha!

Karebru wrote:I also made a liner/drip pan out of cellular PVC board for my AC cabinet. There's a barb fitting at the bottom for a drain hose to attach to.

How is your drip pan working out for you? Do you have any sketches of how you made it you could share? Any links to the cellular pvc board that you used would be helpful as well. I am in the final process of installing my AC in permanent location and trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for the draining of excess water. Your idea sounds intriguing.

Does your AC just sit down in the pan you made? Thanks for any info you can share on it, appreciate it.
Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Thanks, Harry.
Here's the pan/enclosure before it was mounted in the trailer.

I tried to re-create the support the AC would have if it were mounted in a window. The weight of the unit sits on the inside edge of the pan and the face frame of the cabinet. (the windowsill) It also sits on two raised, PVC ribs that run perpendicular to that in the bottom of the pan that I hoped would absorb road shock. They're tapered towards the outside for proper drainage. There is also a 2x4 mounted across the top, behind the flange on the AC that it is screwed to. (the window sash)
You can see it in this next picture, before the finished cover frame is installed.

I bought my 1/2" board at Home Depot. There are two part glues that are designed for it. (Double barreled calk gun and mixing tips.) I got mine through my employer. If the Depot carries it, I missed it, but you should be able to search online for it.
Note: Cellular PVC is not the same as Starboard. It glues much better and is lighter in weight.

-------------------

After a trip around the neighborhood, I think I'm going to be pleased with my WD hitch. After much fiddling and adjustment, I achieved zero front end rise on my truck, and about an inch of squat in the rear. The ride and steering are solid. Much better than with the rear air bags I've been using.

I had to order a different shank to get the drop I needed. I've since cut the extra off the bottom for ground clearance... That's solid 2x2 steel. :duh
I also had to clip a corner off of the chain hangers to get them back far enough, then drill holes through the diamond plate for the mounting bolts.

Nothing comes easy. :BE
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby foxontherun » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks for the info on the cellular pvc. Looks like the WDH was a lot of "fun" to put together and set up. Hope it works at well. :thumbsup:
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby Karebru » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 am

Looks like we'll be socked in with rain for a couple day. It beats the freeze warnings I'm seeing on the national map. :o
I found this video on YouTube and thought it was interesting. I've used rear air bags to "balance" out heavy tongue weight with different towing configurations for years. It looks like all I was doing was leveling the tow vehicle, while placing more weight on the rear axle and actually removing more from the front. Something I certainly don't need, since I'm pushing the limit on my current truck's specified maximum tongue weight.
I guess the air bags have their uses. Like hauling a load of lumber, but are not the answer for dealing with tongue weight.

https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg
Karebru
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions