Anyone use a 3rd Brake light?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Anyone use a 3rd Brake light?

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm

I picked up this 3rd brake light while I was at the junk yard looking for interior 12v lights. Its off a Ford Taurus station wagon. The angle fits the curve of my hatch just right.
Do I just patch this in to one of the brake lights?

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Smart move. There are several of us including myself that have a high 3rd brake light. You don't want all that fine work run over by someone not paying attention. You could patch it in like you said but mine has a dedicated circuit from the tow vehicle in my 7 wire harness. I just put in two back up lights hooked up through that same harness. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby SteveH » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Yep, I'm using a third break light also. It's a J.C. Weenie special. Mine is wired from both stop/turn signal circuits thru diodes so I can still use just the flat four connector.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Anyone use a 3rd Brake light?

Postby Endo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:12 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I picked up this 3rd brake light while I was at the junk yard looking for interior 12v lights. Its off a Ford Taurus station wagon. The angle fits the curve of my hatch just right.
Do I just patch this in to one of the brake lights?

Buy this logic circuit (see link below). If you just patch it in to one of the brake lights it will flash when the turn signal is on.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... ic+circuit
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:42 am

problem is with most trailers the brake light is also the signal light. I might consider mounting 2 lights up top and having them be brake, signal lights.... the more the merrier.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SteveH » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 pm

If you just patch it in to one of the brake lights it will flash when the turn signal is on.

Yep, I want mine to flash with the turn signals so it will be real obnoxious to watch....that way it will catch more drivers's attention.

I used the diodes to hook up the third tail light so it would work and still let the turn signals work. My third stop light works with each turn signal, but with out the diodes, all three would work with either turn signal.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Steve, did the diodes have to be a particular size, and where did you get them?

I understand the purpose (current flow one way), but don't know where to get them.. radio shack?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SteveH » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Yep, Radio Shack is fine. Almost any old diode will work because you're only talking about 12 volts and about 250 milliamps. I think I used 100volt, 1 amp diodes.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Anyone use a 3rd Brake light?

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Buy this logic circuit (see link below). If you just patch it in to one of the brake lights it will flash when the turn signal is on.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... ic+circuit[/quote]

I bought 2 of those logic circuits . I posted a thread a few weeks ago about running 4 tail lights with a 4 prong wire harness, and they were suggested. Would I wire the 3rd brake light after the logic circuit and before the second tail light?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets