Tiny Trailer Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tiny Trailer Build

Postby pchast » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:27 pm

NevadaBlue wrote:.
I did discover condensation inside today. The gravel I put down was damp as was the ground. So, I think I will open the door during warm, sunny days for a while. It should be sunny for the next few days and in the 40s so that should help dry things out. Otherwise, I’ll have to put in some vents.

I found I needed to use a tarp for a floor to defeat the water vapor from the ground.
Plastic might work too.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby NevadaBlue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:54 pm

I wish I would have thought of that before I put down the gravel pad. Darn...
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby NevadaBlue » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:46 pm

Tiny increments of progress. (Glacial pace construction)

I was rather depressed when my wife got snarky about me moving or even talking about the tiny trailer. I thought she was done with me working on it.
But...
She got me a really neat folding table for it for Christmas. It has a metal frame that bolts to the wall (in this case, one of the rear doors) and has a 25” wide by 18” deep table top. It folds ‘flat’, protruding 4-1/2” from the wall when folded. Most of the space behind it (3” deep) is empty and doesn’t interfere with the top folding. That can become storage space for galley items... this will be bolted into the right rear door. It will be perfect and won’t interfere with the countertop, so, bolting it in will do it!

This fits right into the plan, the table is the perfect size for the cook stove with plenty of room to spare. That door is where I planned to mount a home made table of some sort. Now I don’t have to make it.

The magic pen-cad produced this out of scale drawing:

B382EA4F-2AD3-4035-AC35-DC95147944C3.jpeg
B382EA4F-2AD3-4035-AC35-DC95147944C3.jpeg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 925 times

Also, the tent has dried out nicely. Once that initial moisture from the gravel evaporated, all is well. I do need to anchor the rear of the tent cloth more tightly but it is OK for now.

And, one more item. I decided to cut the bed slab (a hollow core door) into 3 pieces. They will be supported and reinforced where cut. The front section will lift out to allow access to the wiring, which may also have other electronic components mounted there. The center section will lift to allow access to the under bed storage. I intend to use plastic tubs that fit the spaces, so I can leave bedding, extra clothes and equipment in there for easy access. The rear section will lift out for access also. This will mean I can now finish the galley... I was waiting to put the ‘bed door’ back in place. It would only go in from the back. But, cut in pieces, it can go in through the people door on the side.

Maybe some progress soon I hope, on the galley and bed and such.

And, my lady seems to be fine with working on the trailer, so that makes things much easier. I don’t move much or fast these days so any ‘work’ takes a while. Then, to boot, the oven quit on Christmas Day. I found the service manual for the oven (kitchen range, really nice not old at all) and did the troubleshooting. I had guessed igniter for the oven burner and that tested out. So, I got the stove out, took out the old igniter and ordered a new one and a spare. No baked goods for a while.... unless I convince her to try my Coleman stove top oven.

:thinking:
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby NevadaBlue » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 pm

I thought I should show where I think the door came from. This is a pic of a 1920 Reo. I think my door is the driver’s side front door off of one of these.

99D5A422-282D-4023-93FE-4A36892CC9E6.jpeg
99D5A422-282D-4023-93FE-4A36892CC9E6.jpeg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 910 times
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:00 am

Nice gas pump in the background. 8)
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby NevadaBlue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 pm

I bet there are lots of neat things around there. My door is slightly different, the middle hinge is between the raised parts of the door. But, I’m confident it is a Reo and somewhere close to 1920.

I did get the bed support (the hollow core door) cut and installed. I just got my Kreg jig back from one of my sons so I need to make one more support for the now 3 piece bed support. And, I can also install the galley counter top. COLD here, may not get out there again for a few days.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals