Your thoughts on this wood stove.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Your thoughts on this wood stove.

Postby Modstock » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:26 pm

While looking for something else, I saw this little wood stove.
What are your thoughts on it???

Could it be used for trailer?
I think a better exhaust pipe would be needed cause it looks like actual exhaust pipe.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... TEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Your thoughts on this wood stove.

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:36 pm

I think it would produce too much heat unless you were dead-on wintering camping.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 pm

I'm sure it would be fine for outdoors as designed
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 pm

My son got one for a twenty foot trailer, when burning cleanly it would produce way too much heat, too slow of a fire created creosote that leaked out the stove pipe connection.

It now heats a 600 Sq ft garage quite nicely stove pipe gets to 800 degrees with a good fire!
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:39 am

Modstock wrote:While looking for something else, I saw this little wood stove.
What are your thoughts on it???

Could it be used for trailer?
I think a better exhaust pipe would be needed cause it looks like actual exhaust pipe.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... TEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

"Could" it be used in a trailer? Sure. Years ago my uncle had an 8' x 16' ice fishing shack with a wood stove about that size in it. We generally used that to heat during the day and then loaded it up when we went to bed. There was a propane backup that would kick in when the wood stove petered out in the middle of the night. It worked well for the most part. It doesn't take very big wood because it is so small so of course you're feeding it constantly. If you feed it too much your camper will be 90 degrees and you'll need to open a window. Ask me how I know. LOL! If you have a larger camper (at least a 12' or 14' standy) and you are camping in real bona fide winter conditions, you will love something like this. You can keep your coffee percolator on there all day! Of course you'll need a sheet of metal behind it to protect the wall, but you can make it work.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:55 pm

Any stove that uses air from inside the trailer for combustion is not safe because the oxygen depletion could kill you.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 pm

I'd agree on the "too hot" comments. I heat part of my home with a wood stove, and you learn just how much to feed it based on how much heat you want, and constantly adjust. This wouldn't be practical for sleeping though the night, but would be nice if you were stuck inside all day in a blizzard with enough wood stacked inside to feed it just right. I love the heat from my wood stove, but would never put one inside my trailer due to temperature, control, and needing to have a pile of wood split to different sizes inside.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:32 pm

Gonefishin wrote:...needing to have a pile of wood split to different sizes...

In my uncles ice fishing shack our wood supply was almost exclusively drops from his buddy's woodworking projects. We had boxes and boxes under the bunks of odd shaped bits of dimensional lumber from about the size of your thumb up to about the size of a large turkey leg. A "turkey leg" of oak or hickory would burn nice and slow and maybe last an hour or two. A dozen "thumbs" of cheap pine would burn hot and fast and be gone in half an hour.
:campfire:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:40 pm

But in traveling around especially in thin/dry wilderness areas

it is forbidden, with good reason, to gather fuel off the ground.

That comment about oxygen depletion was bogus, but burning wood indoors has been proven to be carcinogenic

and burning wood for heat in general can be a significant contributor to poor air quality in many well-populated areas.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:34 pm

But in traveling around especially in thin/dry wilderness areas it is forbidden, with good reason, to gather fuel off the ground.

John:

Huh?

Where is this? Certainly not on the USFS or BLM grounds in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming where we camp. It's even legal in Yellowstone as long as you don't fire up a chainsaw.

Wilderness areas? I live next to the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness which is the largest legal Wilderness in the U.S. and it's a have-at-it for firewood. I patrolled there for over two decades looking for poachers. My wife and I work as volunteers for the Forest Service within the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and it's the same three; Gather it, light it, and warm yourself up.

Do you camp?

:roll:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:41 pm

Sometimes they leave it up to the rangers' discretion

but lots of places in the western states it's banned completely.

An essential resource for the lifecycle in fragile ecosystems, especially arid ones.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm

John61CT wrote:Sometimes they leave it up to the rangers' discretion

but lots of places in the western states it's banned completely.

An essential resource for the lifecycle in fragile ecosystems, especially arid ones.

John:

Those policies are made at the Regional level. Let me guess; You can't link to one USFS page that precludes the gather of firewood.

Where is this fragile ecosystem?

And one more time; do you camp?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:17 pm

John61CT wrote:...especially in thin/dry wilderness areas it is forbidden, with good reason, to gather fuel off the ground.

I have not spent much time in the west but in my 5+ decades of wilderness camping in MN and WI, unless there is an active burn ban or a blanket prohibition on ANY gathering of fuel in a specific area, gathering from the ground is the ONLY allowable method. It is actually a good idea IMO because it removes available fuel for a potential wildfire. Every Boy Scout camp I have ever been to in the upper Midwest actually encourages the practice.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Regarding the installation of a wood stove in a camper/trailer, Bob Henry has suggested this method a time or three...

-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:12 am

Elsa Rhae and Barron Link over on YouTube installed a Cubic Mini wood stove in their Scamp, and it seems to work really well for them. Definitely worth watching their episodes specifically about the stove, for installation logistics as well as the day to day challenges they found and how to overcome them. A Scamp is larger than most teardrops on the inside but it’s still a small camper, so I think their experience still applies. Their Cubic Mini burns collected firewood or compacted sawdust “logs”.

Another helpful bunch of YouTube episodes to watch for background info is the series Slim Potatohead had a couple years ago on building his ammo can wood pellet stove and using it in his Aliner camper. If nothing else it’s a hoot to watch his project come together. Again it helps someone thinking about using a wood stove in a small camper to know what it would be like to use one in the real world.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions