Off the lot vs. Custom build - 6x12

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Off the lot vs. Custom build - 6x12

Postby Chris514 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 pm

I’ve found what appears to be some good deals on new 6x12 trailers for $2100 - $2400. Weighing the option of a custom build which would probably reach almost $5,000 vs. a deal on something off the lot. If I was going to customize I would add windows, RV door, one piece roof, axle upgrade, upgrade to .04 aluminum, etc.

If I could add the ~$1600 in options to the $2400 trailer it would be a no brainer. I haven’t found that to be the case based on what I’ve read. Waiting on a quote though.

Planning for a removable bed inside so I can still haul two motorcycles on occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris514
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Off the lot vs. Custom build - 6x12

Postby Tas » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:54 pm

When I was looking last spring I had the same concerns as yourself. Base cost is not to bad but when you start adding up all of the options I was pushing $6500.

First, I am not the most competent carpenter, electrician, metal fabricator, mechanic however, I can get stuff done with ok quality. So this leads me to #2

Secondly, how much is your time worth?

I had Proline add some of the options that I could have done myself but want them to do it....they added a 7 wire so I could add brakes in the future, 110v shore power with an interior and exterior outlet, 6" in additional height, 2 metal vents, and 2 rear retractable stabilizers. I did have them add their version of a 3 rail tie down system that is unique to them. I think that was it. Oh, I also purchased a spare tire from them.

Once I received it I then stripped the walls and added an additional rear electrical outlet, insulated it, added luan ceiling, front shelf in v-nose, and painted everything. Also, I installed 2 8' horizontal e-tracks. I'm currently finishing up adding 110v to 12v converter and a battery for the same 12v LED's when I'm not hooked up to the tv or have access to shore power.

If I was to do it again, I might add a couple more options from the factory but like many of us here, I get great satisfaction doing many of the things that I mentioned.

Good luck to you.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby txen » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:55 pm

When I purchased my trailer last fall I had similar considerations. I basically compromised on a trailer I found that had the RV door and 1 piece roof in the price range I wanted to be at, and added my own windows which was easier than I thought. As Tas points out you'll ether pay in time or money (or both). I really wanted to tackle as much of the build as possible, including an axle upgrade in the future which I may regret :)

I was looking at 8 week lead times as well for a new custom trailer and didn't want to wait.
txen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:13 pm

I went with a custom build 6*12 as the things I added (which I wanted) are not something you can do after it is built.. with the exception of the 5,000lb axle and trailer brake . Cannot add interior height, 24in door, 16In on center studs, three beam tongue, thicker skin, blackout package, and etc. after the trailer is built. The add ons basically double the cost, but it is going to be very nice. I cannot wait to get it next month to start the build.

The wait is the hard part.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chris514 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Appreciate the opinions. I’m now thinking 5x10 custom built. Really want one that will fit in my garage.

Chris514
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm

Chris514 wrote:Appreciate the opinions. I’m now thinking 5x10 custom built. Really want one that will fit in my garage.

i used a set of wheels off of a small trailer that lowered my 5x8 enough to get it into my garage
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 am

Chris514, Howdy;

There is always an option. Something I was taught a looong time ago. Holds true still.
What you order is up to you, but, you've been given some ideas and there are a whole
forum (this one), full of ways to do things. What skills do you have? What skills do you
want to acquire? Like Red Green used to say at the end of each show, " If the Ladies don't
find ya handsome, at least let them find you handy." How much YOU do you want to
put into your CT?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 am

Chris514, Howdy;

This is what I was thinking about when I made the last post about "Just how handy are ya?"
It sounds or rather , I get the feeling you are wanting something similar to this;

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=70018

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions