Starlight Window

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Starlight Window

Postby Indiana Rambler » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am

This may have been discussed here already, but my wife and I are discussing windows and doors. She would like a stargazer window in our drop (I do too) but I’m a little worried about leaks. Not so much the first few years, but over the longevity of the life of the camper. I’ve researched a few, one manufacturer actually states, may not be waterproof. I’ve also looked here at a few Lexan and or plexiglass installs which may be an option, but I like the idea of if it breaks, I’d like for it to be an easy (well, you know what I mean by easy) swap out (as in I purchase a new window, pop the old one out, put the new one in). So I’m just looking for some options on what others have used, and anyone’s thoughts and opinions on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Re: Starlight Window

Postby Squigie » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Guarantee to leak at some point.
But if you keep up with the trailer, you should be able to catch it quickly and take care of the issue.

The people doing "permanent" installs (glued, screwed, caulked) seem to have fewer issues than those using rubber gaskets or boots.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:59 pm

the reasons they leak is they take out a lot of structural support which lets your roof flex more. Think about port holes
Picture 362 (1).jpg
Picture 362 (1).jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby printer » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:25 pm

saywhatthat wrote:the reasons they leak is they take out a lot of structural support which lets your roof flex more. Think about port holes
Picture 362 (1).jpg

Stereovision.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby Indiana Rambler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:02 am

The port holes may be a good alternative for sure. And the glued and screwed method (as well as extra structural integrity around the installed window) I think would be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion