CD Player grounding

Anything electric, AC or DC

CD Player grounding

Postby cleave » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:45 am

HELP!this is for you electrical experts...

I am installing a car stereo/cd player and 2 speakers in my galley. the diagram says i have to connect the black ground lead to a "metal surface of the car". do i have to connect to the trailer frame? can i ground it to something else? can i run it back to where all my other ground wires from lights, etc.. go? back to the battery?

thanks

Marc
cleave
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:05 am

Cleave, if you are running a "floating circuit", like most of us do, just run it back to your common ground point for all of your 12v appliances. Simple system for our simple life style.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby cleave » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 am

Paul,

what is a "floating circuit"?

Marc
cleave
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyCubby » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:55 am

The black wire should go back to the negative (-) terminal of your battery. It is called the ground wire because regular car electric systems are typically 12v negative ground....meaning that the car frame is "grounded" or connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Run your hot wire(s) to the positive side and fuse them....and then your black ground wire to the negative (-) and you'll have tunes in no time!
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:15 am

IndyCubby wrote:The black wire should go back to the negative (-) terminal of your battery. It is called the ground wire because regular car electric systems are typically 12v negative ground....meaning that the car frame is "grounded" or connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Run your hot wire(s) to the positive side and fuse them....and then your black ground wire to the negative (-) and you'll have tunes in no time!

And that, my good man, is what we call a floating circuit. No part of the vehicle(TD) is used to close the circuit. A torch uses a floating circuit.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Electrical Secrets