Whats your favorite three step charger?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Whats your favorite three step charger?

Postby brian_nj2006 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Getting ready to order a three stage charger for the tiny trailer and am having some trouble deciding which one. Any input from those who use or have used will be appreciated. Planning on charging 3 8D deep cycles from it till I can get the solar panels up and running.

TIA
Brian
Facta Non Verba
brian_nj2006
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:03 pm

I bought a Black and Decker 2/6/10 at Walmart and love it. :thumbsup:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:15 am

I am using a WFCO 25 amp 3 stage. I am pleased with it. What drew me to it is that it comes with a 2 breaker AC panel built in. I'm using 2 100 amp 8D AGM.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Pop-Up-Con ... _c_63.html
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:14 am

Chris,

I have a Deltran and am quite pleased.

If I was going to be draining the bank to 50 percent on a daily basis, I think I'd get a larger capacity charger.
The Deltran does a great job, but is somewat slow recharging when the batteries are quite discharged.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chris C » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:20 am

Rob,

I got the 2/6/10 because I'm going to be carrying two group 27 batteries which will be drained fairly rapidly because of my girlfriend's C-Pap machine...................(and have recently found I may also have to use one myself!) and needed quick recharging. Hope it all works out. But I've been using the charger for normal needs around the farm and it has really done a good job on tractors and cars. Quite pleased with the purchase and recommend it to others.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:56 am

Chris,

This must be a Monday... shows how much attention I'm paying :oops:

Brian,

Sounds like Chris has this figured out, if you need fast recharge capability, get a bigger charger...
Mine works well for me because it is either plugged in at the campground, or we dry camp and then plug it in when we get back home, giving it at least a week to catch up.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gerdo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:52 pm

I have a 10/2 amp automatic charger. With the automatic charger you wont overcharge.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Gerdo, at the risk of capturing a troll....an automatic battery charger will not reach a 100% charge....70 to 80% is more likely, 3stage smart chargers such as the Deltran unitsdo a much better job and in regards to your question in another thread, they work much better as a power supply since they put out a cleaner sine wave...which is much better for any sensetive electronics you may have...we have a 2/4/6 3 stage Black and Decker in the Aligator Tear and in what usage it has gotten so far it seems to do it's job....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Brian

Postby brian_nj2006 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks all, after reasearching a bit I think I am going to go with the progressive dynamics three step charger with the charge wizard. I curently have 4 trojan group 27 deep cycles that I am going to use for extended trips to the woods. All where good suggestions
Facta Non Verba
brian_nj2006
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:43 pm

I was kind of looking at the unit that Steve has in the FishInn. I'm not an electrician (nor a welder or a finish carpenter, apparently)... so I kind of like the built in 120 breaker on this unit that might simplify installation. Here's the link WFCO. I surely can't talk the technical lingo of the "Electircal Secrets" forum, and I absolutely couldn't talk about charging efficiency, but this sure seemed like an elegant unit at a reasonable price!!!

:) :) :)
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets