LCD TV?

Anything electric, AC or DC

LCD TV?

Postby Gerdo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 pm

Who has an LCD TV in their Tear? I want to use a a 17" on 12 volt DC. Can this be done?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tonyj » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 pm

DON'T SIT SO CLOSE TO THE TV--YOU'RE GOING TO GO BLIND!!! :shock:

Oops! Sorry. I just started chanelling my mother.

I bought a 10" and found the size to be good enough. It's less than 3 feet from my face. I watched "The 3 Burials of Meliquides Estrada" last Saturdy night, and never found myself wishing for more detail.

Then again, there will be others on this forum that will say a TV of any size in a TD is more than you need. You know--the camping thing.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Re: LCD TV?

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:12 am

Gerdo wrote:Who has an LCD TV in their Tear? I want to use a a 17" on 12 volt DC. Can this be done?

I use a 13" TV/DVD in mine. Its a tube. I just run it with an inverter.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 am

Don't have a screen yet...............heck, don't even have a teardrop to put it in :lol: but when the time comes, this is what we want:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 5&src=CROS

It should look like a full screen movie theater since we'll be so close!!! :laughter:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Re: LCD TV?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:35 am

Gerdo wrote:Who has an LCD TV in their Tear? I want to use a a 17" on 12 volt DC. Can this be done?

I have a 15" LCD TV with a built in DVD, CD, MP3 player using a regular 400 watt 12 volt inverter and it works great. My wife would be the first to complain "it's too small" and she hasn’t, she just loves it. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:40 am

Chris C wrote:Don't have a screen yet...............heck, don't even have a teardrop to put it in :lol: but when the time comes, this is what we want:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 5&src=CROS

It should look like a full screen movie theater since we'll be so close!!! :laughter:

Chris, that's real pricey unit. The electronics salesman told me that it's very expensive to make a 12 volt TV vs buying a 110 volt TV and hooking it up to a power inverter, that's why the make and sell them. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Chris C » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 am

Of course, you're right.
Last edited by Chris C on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Spanky8N » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello,

I just put a 8" tv/dvd combo in mine and the wife and I love it. 17" would be huge in a tear....but when it comes to TV can you ever get to big? ;)
I put the 8" in because I already had it around. I also put it on a mount I can swing around and still have access to the storage behind the TV.
Dan
Spanky8N
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tear Fan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:54 am

Jennifer and I have a 15" LCD we got at Wal-Mart. It's a Sanyo. We added a cheap (<$30) DVD player, for which I made a small shelf. - See our album - We hold it in place on the road with a bungee that has a ball on the end - easy to loop over itself. We mounted the TV on a swing-up bracket, such as you would find under the cabinet in a kitchen. The sound is great in the tear. We watched The Incredibles for our inaugural viewing, and it was awesome. BTW, if you haven't seen that, rent of buy it!
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:03 am

Who has an LCD TV in their Tear? I want to use a a 17" on 12 volt DC. Can this be done?

Hi Gerdo

Simplist way to run a LCD on 12v is via a small invertor.

Many TV's have a 12v Power supply, but this is real 12, do not mix this up with your tears battery if your tears battery read 12v on a meter it would be flat.

A charged battery should read 12.8 ish this is only 6 % over and should be fine, but do be careful not to run it via the battery when the battery is charging at this point the voltage will be a minimum of 13.8 Volts this is 15% OVER a good charger could be as high as 15Volts and this is 25% over, I certainly would not want to risk the TV at these voltages.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby emiller » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:27 am

This is the one I use and couldn't be happier with it, although it is pricey
http://lostbwanaoutfitters.com/detail.asp?product_id=23
emiller
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 am

GeorgeTelford wrote:
Simplist way to run a LCD on 12v is via a small invertor.

A charged battery should read 12.8 ish this is only 6 % over and should be fine, but do be careful not to run it via the battery when the battery is charging at this point the voltage will be a minimum of 13.8 Volts this is 15% OVER a good charger could be as high as 15Volts and this is 25% over, I certainly would not want to risk the TV at these voltages.

George, I'm a little confused. :? If the inverter puts out the equivalent of 110-115 volts to the LCD TV via a 12 volt battery hooked to a charger I can't understand the risk, please enlighten me. My inverter has safe guards on voltage variances to protect my equipment. I have been running our Battery Tender for 3 weeks now with the Fantasticfan on all night and usually watch a movie for an hour before retiring with no problems at all. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Danny

not through the invertor as I say in the post thats the safest way, some people see that a TV as a 12v Power supply and assume that running straight from battery is OK.

You seem to have ignored the (following) line when reading my post and have also removed it from the quote when questioning my post, put it back in and it should make sense again....

Many TV's have a 12v Power supply, but this is real 12, do not mix this up with your tears battery if your tears battery read 12v on a meter it would be flat.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:14 pm

You know, laptops are getting so cheap now that I think I'll just use one for my TV on the next trailer. Add a TV tuner and you've get everything you need: DVD, CD, MP3, and email at campgrounds with wireless access. I've seen them on sale for less than $400, add a car adapter and you're done.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:27 am

Yeah, even though we want a wide-screen, the laptop route is probably what we'll do when the time comes. It would be a lot easier to store a laptop than a widescreen................and definately a full-blown TV set! :lol:

Chris C

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets