about as new as you can get

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby angib » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm

madjack wrote:Andrew, it looks like from your drawings that he could just about eliminate the added frontal area by using a torsion or drop axle to get the trailer frame down to that 7" clearance height and chopping the trailer height.

Nearly. The new MX-5 is 49" high, so less 7" body ground clearance that gives you 42" height available. But you need, say, 2" chassis depth as well as the 42" body height so you're looking for 44".

Achieving 7" ground clearance isn't that easy. I don't think a drop axle will do it, as they don't seem to come in light weights and they need some travel under the frame, so it would need to be down at 4-5" above the ground. A torsion axle with an 'up' start angle and 8" or 12" wheels will do it, though that also leaves the torsion tube down at 5" from the ground.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:10 pm

This is a quick sketch that I made for someone else awhile back. The idea was to was to use a torsion axle and larger wheels. One might find a way create under floor storage, minimum head room, and stay within the tow car's slipstream.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dange » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:34 pm

5" clearance is about as much or more clearance as my car has so thats not a worry.
Dange
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Dange wrote:5" clearance is about as much or more clearance as my car has so thats not a worry.

That is true but the overhangs are shorter on the car. Even though my trailer is relatively tall compared to some others (12"), there are times when the ball scrapes on driveways. The overhangs will reduce your approach and departure angles. Consider the entire trailer an overhang (front or rear), especially the rear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:52 pm

If you will look in the North/South Gathering photos you will see Gaston's Peoples choice winner. Cream and red tear that is dropped way down over the frame. To save a lot of weight seal and paint or stain and don't use aluminum. As a general rule I have found that the tears cost me about 1 mpg regardless of what I am pulling with.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Rocky, Just recalled the discussion about strengthening your tongue tube and I showed you this pic. Originally I didn't add the truss for strength but as a skid for those situations that you mention. Having a tube rear bumper lets the back end drag without much worry of damage too.
    Dange, I that think if I were actually to build a low rider, I'd add runners under each corner.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves