Deltran battery tender plus question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Deltran battery tender plus question

Postby tonyj » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:45 pm

A couple months back, bought a Deltran BT Plus, and an Interstate Group 27 batttery. The battery and charger have been installed in my build for about a month, now the battery is almost dead! Didn't expect this since the charger has had power the whole time.

Hydrometer on the battery has an even, low reading. Plugged in my 20 yr old Sears 6 amp trickle charger and it goes to 8 amps then slowly down to six. When I left this afternoon, it was still at a high 5 amp reading (after 18 hrs on charge). I turned off the power when I left.

I think the battery is okay, although I know it had to be way less than 50% charged.

I pulled the quick disconnect on the charger and put a voltmeter on it--Nada. Shouldn't I be able to pick up a reading, or does the charger sense the open circuit and stop sending current? I checked accross the battery at the very beginning and it read 10.5, but that is subject to question as my voltmeter is a P.O.S. that will meet its overdue demise shortly!

If someone knows the answer, I'd sure appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll be calling Deltran this week.

EDIT EDIT EDIT--just found the manual online, and I will have to see if the inline fuse has blown. I'll bet that is the problem. Then I have to figure out what caused it and when it happened. Can't do that til next Friday night. :x

Hope my battery ain't kaput.
Last edited by tonyj on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:00 am

...a couple of questions...when you say hydrometeer do you mean one built into the battery or a handheld one for testing batteries...if it is an independent unit, check each individual cell and look for differences...this could indicate a bad cell...take the battery to an auto parts house and have them check it out on their machine...what amp output is the Deltrans, not that it should matter in this case...measure battery voltage with and without the Deltrans hooked up, if the Deltrans is not putting out 13+ volts call them about it....
madjack 8)
p.s. I know those suggestions are not in order but heck...it's midnite
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:14 am

Thanks MJ. I was editing my post while you were replying.

Bulb-type hydrometer, and all cells within 10%.

Check my edited post--I'm betting I blew the fuse. Wish I had remembered that sucker before I made the 60 mile trip home.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby emiller » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:27 am

I had the same problem with my Deltran 5 amp water proof charger. I took my battery back to the battery store because I only had it a month. It checked out fine pluged it back in and haven't had a problem since. Maybe a glich in its getty-up or maybe just a bad contact.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:02 am

I had a similar problem after three camping trips.

The trailer was plugged in, but the battery was slowly discharging?

Turned out I had bumped the quick connect loose while installing the air conditioning duct... :oops: :oops:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tonyj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks, all. I'll report back after next weekend's visit to the shop.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Loader » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:24 pm

Looking forward to hear what you have to say Tony, as I am getting ready to go out and buy a Deltran. BTW - Which model to you have?
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:51 pm

Loader wrote:Looking forward to hear what you have to say Tony, as I am getting ready to go out and buy a Deltran. BTW - Which model to you have?

It is the Battery Tender Plus Waterproof 12v 5a. Here's the BatteryMart link:http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-022-0157-1

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Loader » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:20 am

Thanks Tony. Been trying to decide between that one and the 1.25 amp model.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:05 am

I decided on the higher amp for quicker charging, and the waterproof version for, well, you never know if you might have to use the thing for a boat! At least the charger will still work afterwards. :lol:

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WarPony » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:08 pm

Loader wrote: Been trying to decide between that one and the 1.25 amp model.

Earl, I have the 1.25A model and I love it!! I guess it depends on how much power you use or how long you are out camping. Me, it's usually just a couple of nights on the weekend and then when I get home, the charger is plugged in and left to do it's job. I'm not concerned with how long or quick it recharges because I have 5 or more days for it to do so. Which ever way you go, the Deltran name is very good.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Loader » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:03 am

WarPony wrote: Earl, I have the 1.25A model and I love it!! I guess it depends on how much power you use or how long you are out camping. Me, it's usually just a couple of nights on the weekend and then when I get home, the charger is plugged in and left to do it's job. I'm not concerned with how long or quick it recharges because I have 5 or more days for it to do so. Which ever way you go, the Deltran name is very good.

Thanks, those were my thoughts as well. I just don't want to over-buy either, I have seemed to so that a few times on this build. I have to keep telling myself, I'm not going to live in it fulltime, it is a weekend thing, perharps 4 - 5 days max.

Anyway, most places I will go have shore power, and there, I can keep the lower amp Deltran unit plugged in fulltime, to make up for the few lights I will be using off of the 12VDC trailer light system.

Thanks again WarPony
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:48 pm

Just got back from the shop.

Okay, I was right. I blew the fuse.

FYI, you can measure voltage from the charger (given you don't have a blown fuse).

I know what I did to blow it, but I ain't tellin'.

Checked the battery with the bulb hydrometer--all cells are back up at full strength. I'm back in the battery charging business.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 pm

oh comon Tony...tell us how you bumped the leads together to see if you got a spark or put them on the wrong posts...comeon give...I promise we won't laugh(much or loud)...afterall, we have all doneit...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm

I'm not gonna tell, although it has something to do with putting switches on ground circuits instead of power circuits, finding that 1 switch operates two lights instead of one, trying to fix the problem by changing wires at the light bulb and completing a power circuit direct to ground.

Wasn't anything close to what you said, but pretty damn close.

Anyway, I'm not saying. :MLAS

Lesson learned: don't try to redesign and reengineer at the end of a long 100 plus degree day!

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets